• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone else like being alone?

Even though I certainly like to enjoy some nice, relaxing alone time in my room, I often prefer to have people I view as kind and accepting around. I only allow people with good character in my friend group. If somebody is mean and has a nasty attitude, they should expect to be brutally rebuffed when they tell me that they want to be my friend. I am not going to give respect to somebody who is disrespectful to others.

I'm actually starting to get more comfortable whenever I go to somewhere in-person where people often socialize (e.g. Youth Group at my church). However, I still feel slightly anxious.

It doesn't mean I absolutely "hate being around people," though. Just means that I am trying to improve myself by getting out of my comfort zone.

Getting Started
(in Nova Scotia)
"In the Education Act Regulations, reference is only made to providing your children with an “educational program”. There are no stipulations as to what the “educational program” must be and can be whatever you feel is appropriate to give your child a well-rounded education. This gives you complete freedom to choose whatever materials (religious or secular) you want and to design your own program that meets your child’s needs. The cost is up to you, you can use free resources on the internet and at the library, or you can purchase a homeschool curriculum, or do a little bit of each."

Try to convince your parents to homeschool. If they won't, maybe suggest an online school like K12 or Connections Academy.
I am actually currently enrolled in Connections Academy, and I enjoy it. It's awesome. I basically get to school by going downstairs and jumping on the computer. (not literally jumping on the computer, tho)

I don't think you should go with K12, though. They have a pretty tight schedule, so if you have to be somewhere outside your home, then you would get punished for it. That is from what I heard, anyways.

Here is everything you need to know about Connections:
•You have real teachers.
•You need a learning coach (either one of your parents or a private tutor that your parents hire).
•Most teachers run "LiveLessons," which are ran through Adobe's Connect app. This allows teachers to instruct students in a more interactive way. The Adobe Connect app is capable of text, voice, and video chat.
•Most LiveLessons are recorded (minus special cases such as open office/help sessions).
•Teachers often visualize information during LiveLesson, either planned themselves or requested by a student.
•Teachers actually care about each and every one of their students. I can say that they care more about students than brick & mortar teachers care about their students.
•It's a public charter school, so it is free and any student can be enrolled.
•There are lessons that you need to complete in your browser. These appear on your front page.

If you need screenshots of what everything would look like, I can send you screenshots. Well, with personal info censored, anyways. You can PM me for more info if you like.

A bench looking over a nice, quiet sea cliff, watching the birds dance on thermals that rise from the lonely shore.

Oh yeah, my little piece of happiness.

You should think of hiking the Pacific Crest Trail when you're old enough. Walk alone between Mexico to Canada along the US west coast. People who hike it mail themselves supplies to pick up at each post office along the way.

Just you, the wind, and sky atop the Sierra Nevadas.

What a way to get closer to God.

Does it get any better?

On a normal day-to-day basis though, ehhhh.... I need to get out of the house each day. NEED to. Otherwise I get stir-crazy. But that sure doesnt mean I have to interact with anyone. I have to go to the gas station for my blasted caffiene fix (actually as I type this I'm currently waiting for the car to warm up so I can do exactly that) and I might go to the Walmart or whatever. Sometimes I'll go to some forest preserve for a hike. Occaisionally I'll drive around randomly for the heck of it. But actual interaction... yeah, no. It really doesnt happen except with family and the one close friend I have that lives near here. And I sure as heck never go to places that could be specifically called "social". Alot of people go to restaurants or bars or movies or whatever. I refuse.

This is SO me, too!

There are fewer ways to screw up being alone.

But some experiences need to be shared to make them feel more fun/ worth doing.

New Threads

Top Bottom