• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone else have a love/hate relationship with the SUN?

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
I wondered why I feel lonely when the sun is shining after several days of very dull and miserable weather conditons? Then it came to me. Because I have brightness sensitivities. I have to wear sunglasses when it is bright or the sun is out.

I guess, also, because of extreme agoraphobia, I cannot, just go out and enjoy walking in the fresh, sunny air.

I prefer sunlight, although I squint a lot in the sun because if I open my eyes wide the light of the sun (or bright white clouds) makes me sneeze. But I still prefer the sun to the dark, even though I'm agoraphobic too.

Yes I do. I have very pale skin. I never tan much. I just freckle. Bright summer sun hurts my skin. It feels like little needles.

For this and other reasons, I prefer the night. I like a nice spring or fall day. Or an early June day, sorta warm, but cool enough to have a sweater on hand.

I love the desert. I love the seashore. I love the mountains. I love grasslands and being on fishing boats and coast guard vessels at sea. I like hitch hiking and camping and fishing. Exploring new trails and collecting weeds. Watching animals and little children in their native habitats.

But I don't tan at all. So I have solved this sometimes by veiling. Keeping a long pashmina shawl with me to shade my face and shoulders. On super hot days, when I'm out, I carry a parasol (old umbrella).

I love the sun, and dry heat. But I thrive in the evenings. And in the rain and mist, I come alive. I get so energetic when it's misty or foggy out. It's almost as if my cellular dna is activated.

Last edited:
I'm good, as long as I have sunglasses and the sense to limit my skin when it comes to overall exposure, particularly in the summer. I live in the High Desert, where most people enjoy the sun.

I love the sun but my skin does not. I'm fair skinned and have light colored eyes so sunscreen, sunglasses and long sleeves are everyday wear for me.

I have more of a love/love relationship with it. I just want more sun.
I can't imagine living at your latitude. Lake Louise, Alberta is as far north as I have ever been. And in the summer and not the winter.

No h8, just love. Being a nudist, the sun is more familiar with me than with most people.

I’m soooo sensitive to light, too. It makes me feel like a battery that’s being rapidly drained. What most people consider a normal amount of light is waaaaay too much for me. I keep it very dim and dark in my house. And this is one of the reasons I dislike summer so much—too much light.

I’m soooo sensitive to light, too. It makes me feel like a battery that’s being rapidly drained. What most people consider a normal amount of light is waaaaay too much for me. I keep it very dim and dark in my house. And this is one of the reasons I dislike summer so much—too much light.

You would love it here then, these days the sun barely gets above the horizon, then it moves just a little to the right and starts going down again at 2pm. :)

Last edited:
You would love it here then, these days the sun barely gets above the horizon, then it moves just a little to the right and starts going down again at 2pm. :)
I’ve actually thought about it before, ha! I love the cold and the dark up there. A friend of mine and I have a running joke about moving to Svalbard and storming the seed bank à la the Bastille.

I can’t stand the summer and being out in the sun, I hate sweating, it’s too bright and it makes my skin feel prickly lol. I can withstand it for about 10 mins before I get over stimulated and get cross. I like being inside when it’s really hot.

For me it is nothing about feeling something physical in my skin, but I do feel depressed on sunny days, specially in afternoons.

I don't know why, I feel miseable in a summer day; I feel happier when it is raining or a cold weather. Ironically I'm from Costa Rica, a tropical country which every tourist loves those sunsets at the beach lol.

I have been there, I think you will find Spitsbergen surprisingly easy to invade. No one is expecting that, they'll never see it coming. :)
Well we’re counting on the sentinels in the seed bank not surrendering quietly. In fact we’ve written two epic poems about it, and they involve quite a lot of very theatrical and very grand spectacles. :neutral:

Sunlight is necessary for the survival of higher life forms on this planet, but it has also given me severe blistering sunburns many times in the past.

New Threads

Top Bottom