• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone Else Have A Hard Time Staying Home Alone?

Do you have any idea why you get anxious, Butterfly? I can certainly understand and identify wit the depression. Sometimes on Saturday nights I will feel like I'm missing something and feel a little blue. For the greater part of the week though, I enjoy the solitude very much. Being in my apartment and by myself feels safe.

Perhaps I do as well. I do often find myself leaving home not for any required reason other than just to get out into the fresh air. Of course the only real social contacts I have remain with store check-out personnel. Although if I'm engaged in some sort of project, that might keep me occupied indoors for some time.

The weather is much nicer now though...just another reason to leave the cage and break this cycle of isolation. Working at home though, I do spend a lot of time in this chair, let alone my apartment.

Last edited:
I just get so anxious and depressed staying home alone.

I used to. It was a big problem for me, by the end of the day I was really a mess. I don't feel that way now. I do not know if it is because back then I had nothing to do and no social life. I went out and became involved in lots of things and my confidence grew. Now I don't do very much but I still feel better and I can spend all day alone at home and feel okay. I am very glad for the change. It used to be awful.

Like Meat Loaf sang in 1993, Life is a Lemon, and I want my money back! :D

On topic though, the reason that nearly 10 years ago I moved out of Mum and Dad's into my own place, is not because I fell out with them, but rather that I didn't want to live with other people, the Council offered me a place with 2 other guys, and having tried shared living when I was a student and I hated it, I opted to live alone with support.

Mostly I like living alone and don't get lonely. Every now and then I get lonely but it's rare. I work with the public day in and out so being by myself is a welcome respite.

I get anxious because when people come to the doors I'm afraid they are going to be criminals. I'm also afraid criminals will break in, our house has a lot of windows so that scares me too. I was hurt by a criminal once so I guess that's the reason behind it.

I get anxious because when people come to the doors I'm afraid they are going to be criminals. I'm also afraid criminals will break in, our house has a lot of windows so that scares me too. I was hurt by a criminal once so I guess that's the reason behind it.
That's very understandable! Especially, if you were injured by criminal.

When life hands me lemons, I try to make lemonade.

I just know what you mean about feeling safe at home. It can mean so much after being outside in the world. So it is a happy thought for me that you have a place that makes you feel safe.

I just know what you mean about feeling safe at home. It can mean so much after being outside in the world. So it is a happy thought for me that you have a place that makes you feel safe.
It's also a place I can feel relaxed and unwind. This is important for me.

It's also a place I can feel relaxed and unwind. This is important for me.

Me too.

My things are at my home and I can visit them. I know where everything is and things are how I like them. Nobody saying things to me that don't make sense. I never get phone calls, which is very nice.

Years ago, gosh it must be more than twenty years because that is how long I have been using a wheelchair. Well, years ago I went with a friend to explore an old gold mining tunnel in the mountains near her home. After she had seen enough and wanted to leave I stayed a little longer by myself.

I was 500 feet in the mountain, at the back of the tunnel with a whole mountain above me and the most absolute darkness I have ever seen. There was no sound of anything either. I stayed there for a few minutes and realized that no matter what happened to the world, it would not touch me in there. Part of me wants to stay in there. I was on Earth but not another human was near, I was really alone. Maybe for the first time I felt like I could breathe and relax.

I do not see how I could live in a tunnel, or any of us could but our homes are very important to us. When my girlfriend visits she never complains about how I have my home. Things are where they are supposed to be. The windows are open to keep it cool and my favorite things are in sight or very close.

At home is the only place I can have things the way I want them to be and if I really want, I can close the windows and the curtains and stay all day in the dark. Sometimes I really need that.

Me too.

My things are at my home and I can visit them. I know where everything is and things are how I like them. Nobody saying things to me that don't make sense. I never get phone calls, which is very nice.

Years ago, gosh it must be more than twenty years because that is how long I have been using a wheelchair. Well, years ago I went with a friend to explore an old gold mining tunnel in the mountains near her home. After she had seen enough and wanted to leave I stayed a little longer by myself.

I was 500 feet in the mountain, at the back of the tunnel with a whole mountain above me and the most absolute darkness I have ever seen. There was no sound of anything either. I stayed there for a few minutes and realized that no matter what happened to the world, it would not touch me in there. Part of me wants to stay in there. I was on Earth but not another human was near, I was really alone. Maybe for the first time I felt like I could breathe and relax.

I do not see how I could live in a tunnel, or any of us could but our homes are very important to us. When my girlfriend visits she never complains about how I have my home. Things are where they are supposed to be. The windows are open to keep it cool and my favorite things are in sight or very close.

At home is the only place I can have things the way I want them to be and if I really want, I can close the windows and the curtains and stay all day in the dark. Sometimes I really need that.

There is a show on National Geographic about a guy that has made caves his home. It's pretty interesting I just wish I could remember the name of the show ....

Ah, I remember now. I think the show is called off the grid.

National Geo's show "Taboos" is what first got me aware of Asperger's Syndrome. I often wonder had I not seen that one show if something else would have triggered this personal quest to determine who and what I am.

National Geo's show "Taboos" is what first got me aware of Asperger's Syndrome. I often wonder had I not seen that one show if something else would have triggered this personal quest to determine who and what I am.

Taboos was kind of an interesting show. I knew about Aspergers and ASD prior to that episode but it never really occurred to me that I might have it. My brother suggested that I might have Aspergers. I went and got tested and sure enough, it confirmed all of our suspicions. I feel empathy for those who live a taboo life style - for people who live outside of the societal norm or on the fringe of society. Effectively, I am a member of this demographic, and at times, this is sobering.

I love being home alone. I have protection, so criminals should be worried about me.

It's hard for me to get "too much" alone time. I rarely get lonely. My cats are great company, and all I really need.

Sometimes I get bored though, especially if I don't want to do anything of the 1,001 things that need to be done around the house. Then I can get a little stir crazy and have to get out to do something different.

Like Judge stated above, if I have a project of interest going, I can stay indoors with no thought of tomorrow for as long as it takes to complete, or until someone jars me out of my concentration, and then they had better be prepared for a not so friendly response (I'm a bear when I get interrupted).

I actually dread going back to work, not because I dislike work, but because I'll have to spend more time with people and less time home alone.

I love being home alone. I have protection, so criminals should be worried about me.

It's hard for me to get "too much" alone time. I rarely get lonely. My cats are great company, and all I really need.

Sometimes I get bored though, especially if I don't want to do anything of the 1,001 things that need to be done around the house. Then I can get a little stir crazy and have to get out to do something different.

Like Judge stated above, if I have a project of interest going, I can stay indoors with no thought of tomorrow for as long as it take to complete, or until someone jars me out of my concentration, and then they had better be prepared for a not so friendly response (I'm a bear when I get interrupted).

I actually dread going back to work, not because I dislike work, but because I'll have to spend more time with people and less time home alone.

Cats are wonderful companion animals! I am very much a lover of felines, especially black cats. Getting owned by a black cat is actually getting owned by a mini-panther.

Cats are wonderful companion animals! I am very much a lover of felines, especially black cats. Getting owned by a black cat is actually getting owned by a mini-panther.

I don't have any black cats of my own anymore, but there are several feral and semi-feral black cats at my friend's house where I spend time doing "trap, neuter, release" (TNR) work.

I'm still pretty happy with my black and white fellow, my little gray tabby boy, my calico girl and two gray and white females. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom