• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone else following soccer?

Dadamen

I haven't seen any posting about soccer on these forums which I follow closely. I know some people from the UK are there and it is their national sport. (It also became our national sport in Croatia after the great success of our national team in 1998, immediately after independence). So, does anyone except me here follow it?

I watched the last 25 mins of England vs Denmark. It's the most football I've watched in my life. I saw that second goal that England got and I didn't feel happy or elated. I was of the opinion that penalty wasn't justified. So them scoring felt like a hollow and ill deserved victory. Even the commentators were trying to justify it, saying England had played better throughout the match. That doesn't justify a seemingly unwarranted penalty in my opinion.

I guess it sums up my feelings towards football, when I see our nation score a goal and I feel upset, and not happy.

Truth be told, I saw the score of 1-1 after 90 mins and I thought I'd stream the last bit. I didn't realise extra time would go on for so long. Watching the ball is somewhat hypnotic, but in general I find it a dull experience to watch any sport, except street skateboard and BMX contests.

Ed

I watched the last 25 mins of England vs Denmark. It's the most football I've watched in my life. I saw that second goal that England got and I didn't feel happy or elated. I was of the opinion that penalty wasn't justified. So them scoring felt like a hollow and ill deserved victory. Even the commentators were trying to justify it, saying England had played better throughout the match. That doesn't justify a seemingly unwarranted penalty in my opinion.

I guess it sums up my feelings towards football, when I see our nation score a goal and I feel upset, and not happy.

Truth be told, I saw the score of 1-1 after 90 mins and I thought I'd stream the last bit. I didn't realise extra time would go on for so long. Watching the ball is somewhat hypnotic, but in general I find it a dull experience to watch any sport, except street skateboard and BMX contests.

Ed
Yes, the penalty wasn't justified, Sterling simulated the foul. A similar thing happened to Croatia in the World cup final against France when Griezmann simulated the foul, they've wasted us a unique chance to be world champions, maybe we won't reach the final in the next 100 years. BMX? Watched it a few times, but I rarely find it on TV. From cycling, I watch more road cycling and cyclo cross.

Not a huge football fan but the England football team has had many decisions go against them in the past, so I’ll take take the penalty thanks.

I don't watch it very often. I'm assuming the theatrics are part of the draw for people who really enjoy the sport? By theatrics I mean the faking of injuries in an overly dramatic way. That's actually the part of the sport that I dislike and in a certain way makes it seem like the kind of "Wrestling" that happens in the U.S. where it's very theatrical and fakery is a big part of the whole presentation. That's not to say that soccer isn't legitimate nor is it to say that soccer players aren't impressive and accomplished athletes (they are), but faking the injuries that way that they sometimes do seems incongruous to the sport to me.

I don't follow the sport myself, or any sport really, unless the title of some article/story or catches my interest. Like some remarkable plays, goals, etc. I do like to read articles about the things around the sport, like the players and fans. Some of the players have interesting stories and the fans especially can be crazy intense about it, in fun ways but also almost little wars can erupt at games and riots afterwards. I remember driving back from a skiing trip in Germany and listening on the radio as a riot was happening in Luxembourg after a match. The English fans had run amok in Luxembourg City after the game and overwhelmed the tiny countries police. Luxembourg asked Germany for help and 200 German riot police were being bussed in.

I have played myself however which is different, and did go to one game to see Pele when he briefly played on the New York Cosmos. Got to see him do one of those upsides down backwards kicks, and that was pretty cool. :)

I don't watch it very often. I'm assuming the theatrics are part of the draw for people who really enjoy the sport? By theatrics I mean the faking of injuries in an overly dramatic way. That's actually the part of the sport that I dislike and in a certain way makes it seem like the kind of "Wrestling" that happens in the U.S. where it's very theatrical and fakery is a big part of the whole presentation. That's not to say that soccer isn't legitimate nor is it to say that soccer players aren't impressive and accomplished athletes (they are), but faking the injuries that way that they sometimes do seems incongruous to the sport to me.

Reminds me of a Lee Evans joke where he claims that in Rugby, a player could get pronounced dead on the field but they'd just get back up and say "It's alright - I'll run it off".
In Football/Soccer, you only have to tap them and they're rolling around in 'agony' on the floor:
"Aaargh! Referee - book that man now!...He just spoiled my makeup!"

I'm also reminded of this quote:
"Rugby is a hooligans game played by gentlemen, while Football is a gentleman's game played by hooligans."

Last edited:
I like watching it when the technique is good, which is why I usually don’t watch most matches. I like semi-finals and finals for most major leagues though.

Not a huge football fan but the England football team has had many decisions go against them in the past, so I’ll take take the penalty thanks.
Which decisions against you? The only decisions I could remember were for you. In the 2018 UEFA nations league, Croatia had the lead, Joe Gomez made the incorrect throw-in (stepped on the line) and it came to a goal that shouldn't be a goal. Croatia should have been World champions and should have played in the nations league finals.

Nope. Someone put me in the football pool thing at work. I was totally oblivious. Apparently my team is out. I didn't realize I had a team.

Oh there’s this one too, watch it till the end and it shows what actually happened

https://youtu.be/zWsEuczNj48

The point is they all do it every team, shirt pulling diving etc etc on the refs blind side. So anyone who thinks England shouldn’t have won, needs to take a look at their own teams antics and remember ‘you win some you lose some’ and if they’re English, bear in mind the many shocking decisions against the English team.

Personally, I couldn’t care less about a bunch of millionaires kicking a bag of air in a field. I do dislike all the hating though, ultimately the refs decision is final whether you like it or not.

Only World Cups and this year's Euro. My husband is British, so I've been hearing "it's coming home" for weeks now. :confused:

needs to take a look at their own teams antics
I think Croatia is one of the most damaged teams ever. In EURO 1996 (against Germany), EURO 2012 (against Spain), WC 2014 (against Brasil) and WC 2018 (against France) we failed because of referee. Also here is the nations league 2018 that I already mentioned against England. There is also EURO 2000 where we didn't qualify because of the wrong referee decision against Yugoslavia (today Serbia, Montenegro and Kosovo). The thing is that refs usually make decisions with the stronger team in favour. The best example is Dinamo Zagreb, the best Croatian club, in the Croatian league other clubs are always damaged against them. But, in the champions league, they often fail because of referees.

New Threads

Top Bottom