• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anybody else like this?

Jacob Morrison

Hingle McCringleberry
Okay, this seems really odd (maybe, idk) but I kinda needed to get it out. I know a lot of kids with Aspergers struggle to make friends and aren't very popular in school but it seems like I've never had a problem with making friends and I'm at least somewhat popular at my school. (I'm a junior in high school.) I have friends and such, it's just that I'm always that weird friend in my group and friends and I seem to always be "that one guy". It just seems like having relationships aren't the problem for me--my main problems are being socially awkward, having no filter, and having weird habits. And btw I have been officially diagnosed. Can anyone else relate?

I think it is entirely dependent upon those with whom one surrounds themselves. Personally, I've been around weirdos all my life (I spent most of my high school years in a fairly non-traditional school, and my senior year in a school dedicated entirely to artists). So I can relate, to a certain extent, to your situation. I always had friends. Thing is, looking back, I'm not sure whether I could ever continue those friendships now, knowing what I know about them, about what I know what I was like then, and about what I know I am like now. I am still good friends with a few of those folk, but a good many of them, well...I could do without seeing any of them anymore, even though it would be pleasant to run into them on some random occasion.

tl;dr - You won't know until much later your true relationship with these people. Chances are it will be positive, but again, there is the slight possibility you will drift, or whatever. You are still a young'un! Do what you may, and see where the pieces fall in future. :)

My husband said of me: you can make friends, you just do not seem to know how to keep them!

Sometimes, it is true, that I can make a friend, or more to the point, I feel something special with said person, but do struggle to maintain it, but am learning!

I have a friend who is young enough to be my daughter lol ie she is soon to be 20 and I am 45. We started our friendship online and then, took courage and spent time with each other, but that did not go so well, which I suspected, but we have perceived and now consider us twins, despite looking nothing alike and our age differences, but our personalities are pretty similar!

The thing is, if you have been diagnosed, then, you do not need to worry ie seek confirmation from us :D

I've gotten pretty much resigned to not keeping friends. I can make friends, but generally things always end up going wrong.

Yes, I can absolutely relate, we are even similar age.

So what if you're socially awkward? As long as you're socially accepted, I see no problem with it!
I'm also relatively popular and I say a hundred stupid and sometimes insulting statements at school - and NOBODY cares! I think there's a problem with us Aspies, we think that the spotlight is always on us.

My advice is to hold on to your (great?) personality and to keep your weird habits for yourself!

I was very particular about making friends before I learned how to communicate... how should I say... on more advanced level. Before that it was something like: I pick you and we'll be doing what I want to do. :) common communication style was a mystery to me, it felt like there were not enough rules and regulations, a lot of things seemed very confusing. There were kids who wanted to be my friends but I felt having more than 1 or 2 friends at a time was too much :D in high school it was different, I had a band and was in a local public theater, so I had to communicate with lots of people. Thankfully I already knew how... more or less... so it wasn't as confusing.

It might have to do with how accepting a particular group is. Also I think some people are naturally appealing even if they are weird ad socially awkward or whatever. As pronounced as my autism is, and as withdrawn as I am, people seem to take a liking to me.

While I wouldn't say that I had totally no friends in the sense that I was that loner that sat in the corner, back in school... I surely was the guy who ended up all over the place with plenty of "groups" just for the sake of being that "exceptionally odd specimen" and for some reason people actually liked it... the more I think about it now, it just felt like I was that character many director would put in a group for comedic relief or just to have that random odd character in that doesn't really belong in any group but manages to be part of any group in his own weird way.

I try not to have friends in real life (I'm too fond of my private time), but I don't seem to have trouble making them. I'm very passive aggressive, and don't act in any way that I wouldn't like (i.e. I'm extremely polite and obliging), so a lot of people like me (even if, in some cases, it's simply because I'm useful).

New Threads

Top Bottom