• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any tips on how to make shopping less stressful

Maria6681

Morning
I want shopping today I normally I go to a lot smaller one supermarket. I want to a big Tesco it was the big one.

with my boys. But always end getting so stressed out and look like a crazy person. My boys don't help especially the older one i get my words all mix up or use and word that has nothing to with it but at points I am so stressed I can't get a out a sentence with out it being a new language.

My boys think it funny people look at me like what she on. I get so stressed frustrated annoyed angry and sometimes I just want to shout and cry. A few times I have just walked out when over Busy. anyone got any tips how I could make it less stressful ip

I don't know if this helps since you have kids; I do my shopping in off-hours, mid-afternoon or evening. Would earbuds for your music help?

I don't do shopping on my own lol even though when we go and it's a little busy I go in crazy mood and my son laugh at me in return it makes me worse. I try home shopping but always seem to get the stuff in not good condition. I find shopping so fascinating

I do a lot of things to get through. maybe one of these may help you

1. I always wear earplugs into the store. Always

2. BLOCKING- Sometimes if I am really stressed I will stop and go over to the plush toys if it's a Wal Maart or Target etc and I will stand there and pet something soft. Maybe a blanket. The point is I stop everything and BLOCK.

I can really block now. If you have kids, they will love this. They will do it, too. Tell them you are claming down. See, kids REALLY REALLY REALLY understand autistic people.

Other ways to block

- perfume aisle ( I know that sounds ironic being I HATE perfume and cannot STAND IT, but the point is it will sometime get me to another mindset.
-have sunglasses on before going in
-act like you are looking at something (like book section) and rock or sway to calm down.

3. If you're with the kids, you can play a game while shopping with them. I have done this with kids before. If they are old enough to be on their own, you split the list and say, OK Winner gets all on list first!!

If they are not old enough, then what I have done is slow it way down till I am not panicking. Once I sat right down in Dollar Tree with a relative child when I was freaking out. So I just sat there with the little person while they were picking out a toy and said, "Take ALL the time you need in the world."
It was the best shopping spree ever. The joy on that little kid's face!!!

4. Notice every single thing about everyone who passes by, like what they are wearing and every little wrinkle, etc. Kids love this, too, and then you get out and see who remembers the most. Like Psych, that TV show! Hehehe.

5. If I am super stressed and verbal, I will ask the clerk for something, anything just to calm me down. She or he will never know they just did the job of a therapist. But if they knew, they would probably be happy. :)

6. Get creative. Because you are autistic, that means you are smart and creative. If you think of new things, please post because I, too, hate to shop!

As Alcyon has already mentioned Maria, find out when the store is at it's quietest.
Usually that's very early in the morning, or at lunch or dinner time. Try to go at those times to do your shopping.

Make sure you and children have eaten before you go, that way they will be less exuberant and you won't buy things that you don't really need.

Wear earplugs if you find it noisy, or a hat or sunglasses to shade your eyes from the lights. That way it will be less stressful, bring something for your children to do, or look at so they also won't stress you out in the store.

Last edited:
I know that sometimes Google will give you suggestions as to which times are less busy for a particular store.

That said, I second all the suggestions for earplugs; I do almost all my shopping online, but when I do have to go out, it takes a certain sense of mindfulness to not be completely overwhelmed.

I hate going food shopping, I don't think I could manage a weekly shop so go a few times a week.

There's too much variety and it means planning meals too far in advance.

Also it stresses me out when the store layout changes and end up doing several laps of the store to find stuff.

I definitely wouldn't shop at Waitrose, they're like the Harrod's of Supermarkets, I'd feel out of place if I wasn't wearing a shirt and tie there.

I do a lot of things to get through. maybe one of these may help you

1. I always wear earplugs into the store. Always

2. BLOCKING- Sometimes if I am really stressed I will stop and go over to the plush toys if it's a Wal Maart or Target etc and I will stand there and pet something soft. Maybe a blanket. The point is I stop everything and BLOCK.

I can really block now. If you have kids, they will love this. They will do it, too. Tell them you are claming down. See, kids REALLY REALLY REALLY understand autistic people.

Other ways to block

- perfume aisle ( I know that sounds ironic being I HATE perfume and cannot STAND IT, but the point is it will sometime get me to another mindset.
-have sunglasses on before going in
-act like you are looking at something (like book section) and rock or sway to calm down.

3. If you're with the kids, you can play a game while shopping with them. I have done this with kids before. If they are old enough to be on their own, you split the list and say, OK Winner gets all on list first!!

If they are not old enough, then what I have done is slow it way down till I am not panicking. Once I sat right down in Dollar Tree with a relative child when I was freaking out. So I just sat there with the little person while they were picking out a toy and said, "Take ALL the time you need in the world."
It was the best shopping spree ever. The joy on that little kid's face!!!

4. Notice every single thing about everyone who passes by, like what they are wearing and every little wrinkle, etc. Kids love this, too, and then you get out and see who remembers the most. Like Psych, that TV show! Hehehe.

5. If I am super stressed and verbal, I will ask the clerk for something, anything just to calm me down. She or he will never know they just did the job of a therapist. But if they knew, they would probably be happy. :)

6. Get creative. Because you are autistic, that means you are smart and creative. If you think of new things, please post because I, too, hate to shop!

I wish people could see what I am feeling because it doesn't help when they look at you I can see y they do I look completely demented but it just makes me worse.

I might try doing shopping by myself with some music as sometime I can block out the hol world do not know y I not thought of that already

I want shopping today I normally I go to a lot smaller one supermarket. I want to a big Tesco it was the big one.

with my boys. But always end getting so stressed out and look like a crazy person. My boys don't help especially the older one i get my words all mix up or use and word that has nothing to with it but at points I am so stressed I can't get a out a sentence with out it being a new language.

My boys think it funny people look at me like what she on. I get so stressed frustrated annoyed angry and sometimes I just want to shout and cry. A few times I have just walked out when over Busy. anyone got any tips how I could make it less stressful ip
Hello Maria its streetwise
Staff members are very kind they offer to get my shopping with me
I don't as I get tongue tied but they help a lot of people

Hello Maria its streetwise
Staff members are very kind they offer to get my shopping with me
I don't as I get tongue tied but they help a lot of people
That is so cool! We don't get that kind of help here, although I have to hand it to the people doing the checkout and bagging, they are generally there because they chose that shift and are therefore dedicated to their job, I think.

I definitely wouldn't shop at Waitrose, they're like the Harrod's of Supermarkets, I'd feel out of place if I wasn't wearing a shirt and tie there.
i go there sometimes,i dress in my usual sensory friendly comfort wear and dont feel like i need to dress differently, i only notice there is a better attitude from people there, no pushing,everyone waiting their turn it is pretty good.
its dearer in there but you do get what you pay for-i always get some awesome food in there and they sell the only hypoallergenic cat kibble that my special needs support cat will eat.

get a good pair of ear defenders,some sun glasses-i have a pair but can never find them as my staff tidy them away, and a baseball cap if you dont mind wearing them-the lip on them can hide other peoples eyes and faffing if you look every where but ahead-like me,the baseball cap also gives you a bit of pressure on your head which i personally like i dont know if it would help you.

i also always take a sensory/rescue bag out with me,heres an video i made about them:
basically you put rescue items in there,to use one example, you might take a weighted lap pad,some bach rescue remedy or a CBD vape,some sensory or fiddle toys etc.

when i go out i like to take a squeezy thomas the tank engine beanie thing,i hold it in one hand and when i get stressed and overloaded i really squeeze it.
you could carry something similar,a stress ball or a tangle for example.

i also use a rollator,which has a seat on it, i use it because of my back disability but its other main use is the sensory and information overload i suffer,i can sit down as soon as i feel like crap, and i can sit down while in a shop que.
i used to be prescribed wheel chairs because i fall to the floor and smash my head on the floor if i get overloaded,it allows staff to move me out of a shop if it gets to much and i go into challenging behavior mode.

You could get familiar with a certain store and frequent the same one. Knowing its layout and times when it is most or least busy may reduce stress.

Also, you can order about anything online these days. That or many stores have in-store pickup availability. I recently ordered some shirts online and will pick them up at the store tomorrow. It cut out my having to go to a crowded and overstimulating business.

I pretty much only shop at the grocery store. And I always go to the same one. Everything else I order online.

New Threads

Top Bottom