• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any Software Developers around?

It depends on what sort of software you're talking about and what level of developer you want to talk to I think. I know there's a few in here.

I'm just a low level game hack but I've made a couple of minor contributions to open source projects over the years.

Game dev here, kinda.

I say kinda because, well, technically, I have... er... a fully released game (as part of a small indie team), as well as 2 or 3 or... some number of expansions for that, and one expansion... or two, I cant remember suddenly... for a previously released game from that same studio. I was contracted to work with them, but my part of it was done in XML, not in like C++ or Javascript or any of those. So, scripting defined by the lead devs, set up specifically for me to work with easier, as I was not an actual coder at the time. Previous to that, all I'd done is like, various forms of Basic, you know. The entire thing was VERY unexpected, I'd never done real development before that, like, ever, and then that started and I had control over half the project. Pro tip for anyone that groups up with me on anything in any way, uh, yeah dont offer me that, I *really* take control if given the opportunity. I didnt know I could be that assertive.

It was a good experience overall though.

Currently though, I decided to try going for full-on solo game development, make something that is 100% just done by me. I'm learning Gamemaker Studio 2 for that. Going smoothly-ish so far.

Not sure if that's quite what you were looking for, but... yeah, that's what I got there.

It depends on what sort of software you're talking about and what level of developer you want to talk to I think. I know there's a few in here.

I'm just a low level game hack but I've made a couple of minor contributions to open source projects over the years.
Open to all. Great to meet people with common interests/career pathways.

That’s interesting! What kinda game hacks and open source projects and contributions to those have you made?

I’ve been working for 3 and a jalf years as one, on and off

Game dev here, kinda.

I say kinda because, well, technically, I have... er... a fully released game (as part of a small indie team), as well as 2 or 3 or... some number of expansions for that, and one expansion... or two, I cant remember suddenly... for a previously released game from that same studio. I was contracted to work with them, but my part of it was done in XML, not in like C++ or Javascript or any of those. So, scripting defined by the lead devs, set up specifically for me to work with easier, as I was not an actual coder at the time. Previous to that, all I'd done is like, various forms of Basic, you know. The entire thing was VERY unexpected, I'd never done real development before that, like, ever, and then that started and I had control over half the project. Pro tip for anyone that groups up with me on anything in any way, uh, yeah dont offer me that, I *really* take control if given the opportunity. I didnt know I could be that assertive.

It was a good experience overall though.

Currently though, I decided to try going for full-on solo game development, make something that is 100% just done by me. I'm learning Gamemaker Studio 2 for that. Going smoothly-ish so far.

Not sure if that's quite what you were looking for, but... yeah, that's what I got there.
Oh nice! What kinda game you producing? Interested in monetising an innovation?

Oh nice! What kinda game you producing?

At this exact moment I'm not producing anything.

Learning and making random small weird things. I learn very quickly and the whole thing is simple enough to use, but one way or another I aint at the point of starting my *actual* project yet. Very much a beginner.

As for what I intend eventually as a first actual release... it's hard to explain exactly what it is. I'm a big fan of retro games, particularly on the ancient Atari 2600. There's one game that always stuck out in my mind, which is Mountain King. The first game I remember ever finding to be *genuinely* creepy. All these years later... it's still creepy. I know I aint the only one. Just mention the spider to anyone who played it and they probably instantly understand. I play all these old games a lot, never actually stopped, so it aint a rose-tinted glasses kinda thing either.

So, I had the idea, why not take that concept, in that very same visual style, looking old as dirt... but sort of a horror version of it, with a number of added elements. As a fan of indie horror I've seen how effective a well done 2D horror game can be, and gotten a sense of what works and what doesnt, so I think I can tackle that, probably.

Aside from that, bullet-hell stuff. Which is what that project I worked on was (it wasnt a traditional shmup though, it was more like Isaac + bullet hell). The entire reason I was offered a contract was because I have absolute mastery of the genre. I *know* I can produce a winner with that. But that's not very interesting. I wanna try ideas that arent that, instead of just doing that yet again. But I'll likely do it eventually.

Interested in monetising an innovation?

I... what? I'm not sure what you mean by that.

I am a programmer with 29 years of experience. I work mostly in straight C, with a little bit of Java. I work in the gaming industry - slot machines, lottery terminals, etc. For the past few years, I've been working in Linux-based systems, but worked in Windows before that.

I do a lot of math along with programming, which is my favorite part.

At this exact moment I'm not producing anything.

Learning and making random small weird things. I learn very quickly and the whole thing is simple enough to use, but one way or another I aint at the point of starting my *actual* project yet. Very much a beginner.

As for what I intend eventually as a first actual release... it's hard to explain exactly what it is. I'm a big fan of retro games, particularly on the ancient Atari 2600. There's one game that always stuck out in my mind, which is Mountain King. The first game I remember ever finding to be *genuinely* creepy. All these years later... it's still creepy. I know I aint the only one. Just mention the spider to anyone who played it and they probably instantly understand. I play all these old games a lot, never actually stopped, so it aint a rose-tinted glasses kinda thing either.

So, I had the idea, why not take that concept, in that very same visual style, looking old as dirt... but sort of a horror version of it, with a number of added elements. As a fan of indie horror I've seen how effective a well done 2D horror game can be, and gotten a sense of what works and what doesnt, so I think I can tackle that, probably.

Aside from that, bullet-hell stuff. Which is what that project I worked on was (it wasnt a traditional shmup though, it was more like Isaac + bullet hell). The entire reason I was offered a contract was because I have absolute mastery of the genre. I *know* I can produce a winner with that. But that's not very interesting. I wanna try ideas that arent that, instead of just doing that yet again. But I'll likely do it eventually.

I... what? I'm not sure what you mean by that.
I recommend looking into game engines. It’s rare to completely code up a game. Unity and unreal engine are popular ones.

As for monetising an innovation, I was asking if you’ve considered selling a game you innovate for profit?

I 'develop' (if you can even call it that) my own image filters, audio processors and scripts for preexisting programs and environments as a hobby, but that's about the extent of it. Most of it is just for personal design use, and 2 years ago I hadn't even written a single line of code, so you've got to start somewhere I suppose.

I really want to get into bare metal assembly on embedded systems, but I have a long way to go and a lot to learn.

Retired programmer and code analyst here. I have written much about my life in programming and computers here in other threads, so I will not risk reiterating things. I will say that having been retired for almost seven years, and not programming anything since, it would take me quite some time to get back up to speed. The underlying knowledge is still there, it is just there is a great deal of rust on it that would need to be scraped off. :D

I'm a programmer, but I don't create software. I create macros and use software to help automate or organize other things. If you're potentially looking for a job and potentially willing to move, I'm a good person to have a video chat with.

I'm a programmer, but I don't create software. I create macros and use software to help automate or organize other things. If you're potentially looking for a job and potentially willing to move, I'm a good person to have a video chat with.
Nah happy where I am currently thank you, just looking to make some friends with the same career interests as me.Whether they’re starting out or deep into their career, we can help each other out and mentor each other. :)

What sort of projects have you automated ? I assume by your post, you mean you’ve developed internal tools for the company, rather than for external consumers, am I right?

Last edited:
I 'develop' (if you can even call it that) my own image filters, audio processors and scripts for preexisting programs and environments as a hobby, but that's about the extent of it. Most of it is just for personal design use, and 2 years ago I hadn't even written a single line of code, so you've got to start somewhere I suppose.

I really want to get into bare metal assembly on embedded systems, but I have a long way to go and a lot to learn.
Oh wow that’s pretty impressive! I imagine you dev audio processors in C++ or maybe even assembly ? A lot of maths involved is that right?

How do you develop image filters BTW? Do you use machine learning in python for that?

I spent about 20 years as a web developer back when it was still called that. Mostly worked LAMP stack on the back end, network and server admin, database development, and coding, along with image work and Javascript/AJAX in the browser, and copywriting/seo/keyword campaign sort of stuff. Worked for media companies for a few years then went solo and worked on my own clients.

Been a few years though, so I'm pretty out of touch with the tech. Mostly just a house husband and dad now.

I recommend looking into game engines. It’s rare to completely code up a game. Unity and unreal engine are popular ones.

As for monetising an innovation, I was asking if you’ve considered selling a game you innovate for profit?

For game engines, I'm using Gamemaker Studio 2, that's probably what I'll stick with.

Though, I might also learn a bit of... er... Unity? Unreal? Maybe? I do have some ideas for 3D stuff (very small games, not big ones) and that seems like it could be fun.

But yeah, Gamemaker right now.

As for monetising, ehh... I'm not really in a position of needing money, I'll put it that way. It'd be meaningless.

Though, it occurs to me that I could sell something I make (if anyone is willing to buy) and just donate any money that comes from it to those who need it. So, I could do that, maybe.

Whether or not I am capable of making anything anyone would pay real money for though, that's the question. Mostly, I just want to make something that others will enjoy.

One way or another though, I've got much to learn, and much experimenting to do.

Nah happy where I am currently thank you, just looking to make some friends with the same career interests as me.Whether they’re starting out or deep into their career, we can help each other out and mentor each other. :)

What sort of projects have you automated ? I assume by your post, you mean you’ve developed internal tools for the company, rather than for external consumers, am I right?
Internal tools, correct. Helped people compile their data on spreadsheets faster, and certain documents would get filled up more accurately and in abundance.

Internal tools, correct. Helped people compile their data on spreadsheets faster, and certain documents would get filled up more accurately and in abundance.
Is programming your main job responsibility?
What's your official job title?

What kinda game hacks and open source projects and contributions to those have you made?
Mostly I spent quite a while working on MineTest, it's an open source game similar to MineCraft. www.minetest.org

I'm not much of a programmer but I have the sort of hyperfocus and the memory to be really good at exhaustive testing and script editing. I struggle to remember people's names but I have no trouble remembering strings of code and playing with them in my mind as I play the game.

I dropped out of my involvement in that because I had another burn out, left my life behind and started a new one again. I'm not sure what's going on with their development at the moment but they haven't served up any binary packages for a while, they have however built a massive source code archive of all things related to the game.

I've also used Linux since the late 90s and did quite a bit of troubleshooting and bug reporting back then. I'm only a hobbyist though, I was a Printer by trade.

Last edited:
30 years experience in dev ops and programming. Most recently Google Cloud Platform, open source stack particularly PHP and JavaScript. Also Stripe integration for ecommerce.

New Threads

Top Bottom