• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any musicians here?

I'm not sure this counts but I'm sort of haphazardly teaching myself to play guitar. I'm a little concerned that I may be teaching myself bad habits that will be harder to unlearn later than to never learn in the first place; but the truth is the best teacher in the world could not make me famous, so I'm just going to do what I like.

I know how to play the violin a bit well. I had instruction of it from fifth grade to twelfth grade up (with private lessons). I got to the point where I could read and play from sheet music in my sleep-I had dreams about playing duets with someone else even if they never showed their face I just knew they sounded good.

I have written a few short music note wordless songs for orchestral schoolwork (or if it wasn't that then probably in my own mind when I was bored when younger). So I don't know if I count as a musician as it's not something I'm able to do professionally, but I'm pretty knowledgeable about violin things.

I hope this thread is still alive. I just joined the forum. I started playing guitar at 7, now mid-sixties. So my 1st songs were Simon & Garfunkel, and I still play those great songs today. I've never been full-time, always worked in 9 to 5 jobs and struggled with people. Back then I never realised that music takes away that struggle and magic can happen between fellow musos. I don't play regular gigs as I can't handle selling myself to people. But I enjoy playing charity gigs and local markets. During lockdown I recorded songs I've written over the years and got a digital distributor. So now my music is on all streaming platforms, not to make money but just a feeling of pride, check out Shoal Vibes Music. Thanks.

Musician, songwriter, producer, and engineer, here. Keyboards are my main instrument, but I also play drums and bass.

I'm not sure if anyone would be interested in this, but this is the latest song I made. I'm sure I might have to do further mixing on it though.

Carissa's Light (Rough Mix)
That's pretty good. I love your voice, in the verses you sound a bit like David Bowie. The chorus has a good lift to it. Instruments sound good, I agree that it may need more mixing. It is a bit long, but I don't think that matters too much. Great work!

That's pretty good. I love your voice, in the verses you sound a bit like David Bowie. The chorus has a good lift to it. Instruments sound good, I agree that it may need more mixing. It is a bit long, but I don't think that matters too much. Great work!

Thanks. I just made another mix after tweaking some levels.

New mix

It's interesting the reactions I've gotten so far. A guy on another board I frequent said it was if "The Cure and Trent Reznor had a illegitimate child in the 90s". Musicwise, it was inspired by a Killing Joke song, specifically this one:

Lyrically, it was inspired by my niece Carissa, who committed suicide almost 5 years ago at the age of 32.

So I've been working on this for the last several days. It's probably the most complicated song I've done in a while, as there are four different parts to it. I'm sure I might need to do more with the vocal levels (that's the part that always stymies me with doing these songs)

Multidimensional (Rough Mix)

Wow, it's really too complex for me to start to dissect. The first voice-over is really clear, then the singing gets lost. The bass guitar seems to be playing the same rhythm as the lyrics, so it is competing a bit. I would start with adjusting the bass level during singing, but apart from that I'm a bit stuck on what to suggest.
I love the topic, so keep it up!

I've been teaching myself how to play reed-organ. It's different than a pipe organ or electronic; there is only one manual really. An inexpensive hobby as old parlor organs are not worth much money so I found one large one from the 1890s and a portable folding organ from the 1840s--the big one works; I'm still working on the little one. I'm ashamed of people hearing me practicing, for whatever reason, so I don't consider myself a musician. But music is a normal human thing.

I sing and play the guitar. My voice is my main instrument. I used to play piano, but, it's been a while. I think about taking it up, again, on occasion.

New Threads

Top Bottom