• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any musical fans out there?

The Phantom

There are already threads on my other interests, but I haven't seen any posts of Musicals as yet. So, I took it into my own hands :D. This is just a page to talk about any musicals you like, favorite Musical Theatre actors, costumes, scores, ANYTHING! Pictures as well! I just really want to be able to talk about it with some others on here. So, fire away! :)

So here!
Mostly into opera, but I enjoy some of the more "hard core" musicals, I guess you'd call them. Ones that are NOT like Oklahoma or The Sound of Music where there is too much smiling and the songs tend to be upbeat and come out of nowhere.
I really like Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera, and very specific parts of Wicked that refer to the ideas of the novel. I love musicals with darker moods that are sung through with few pauses in the music. My real passion is with the Baroque, and I have a huge thing for pieces like "Vedro Con Mio Diletto" and "Un Pensiero enimico di Pace"- Italian is probably my favourite language, actually.
I take it you're a fan of The Phantom of the Opera? I could talk about that one for hours. Great music, it has a ton of operatic themes (not to mention a few strings of notes taken directly from classical operas). I mostly like that one because of my obsession with opera. There are a few moments in the play that are pure opera, as well as moments that are pure rock, and pure west end musical. The composer mixed so many different styles all together and made something that was quite unique. Just saw that one for the third time actually, most recently at Her Majesty's (best staging of it I've ever seen. Albert Hall had too many special effects and weird digital stuff for me and the American tour had severely awkward staging).

I wish I had pictures on my computer, but I have difficulty sending them here through the phone. I was in the second row at Her Majesty's and got some beautiful (though poorly taken) shots of the original moulding (not the temporary stage lining) near the ceiling and along the boxes. (The stages are much smaller and lower on the West End- we could see Piangi's nasal hair at one point.) There's also this great picture my cousin took (Legally) from No One Mourns The Wicked, where the smoke looked really cool and weird.

Are you in to any other musicals? I can play some serious Les Miz on my ukulele :p.

Is that Karimloo as your profile picture?

So here!
Mostly into opera, but I enjoy some of the more "hard core" musicals, I guess you'd call them. Ones that are NOT like Oklahoma or The Sound of Music where there is too much smiling and the songs tend to be upbeat and come out of nowhere.
I really like Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera, and very specific parts of Wicked that refer to the ideas of the novel. I love musicals with darker moods that are sung through with few pauses in the music. My real passion is with the Baroque, and I have a huge thing for pieces like "Vedro Con Mio Diletto" and "Un Pensiero enimico di Pace"- Italian is probably my favourite language, actually.
I take it you're a fan of The Phantom of the Opera? I could talk about that one for hours. Great music, it has a ton of operatic themes (not to mention a few strings of notes taken directly from classical operas). I mostly like that one because of my obsession with opera. There are a few moments in the play that are pure opera, as well as moments that are pure rock, and pure west end musical. The composer mixed so many different styles all together and made something that was quite unique. Just saw that one for the third time actually, most recently at Her Majesty's (best staging of it I've ever seen. Albert Hall had too many special effects and weird digital stuff for me and the American tour had severely awkward staging).

I wish I had pictures on my computer, but I have difficulty sending them here through the phone. I was in the second row at Her Majesty's and got some beautiful (though poorly taken) shots of the original moulding (not the temporary stage lining) near the ceiling and along the boxes. (The stages are much smaller and lower on the West End- we could see Piangi's nasal hair at one point.) There's also this great picture my cousin took (Legally) from No One Mourns The Wicked, where the smoke looked really cool and weird.

Are you in to any other musicals? I can play some serious Les Miz on my ukulele :p.

So here!

I too am into more 'Harcore', as you put it :) musicals. I like sound of music a bit, but yes I agree it can get a bit too smiley. But I do love me some Mamma Mia! :D
I like rock musicals, but not intense, hardcore rock. But I also love more classic sounds, which is why I love Phantom of the Opera so much. Especially the title song, because of it's rock flavor. As tacky as it can be sometimes, I do love me some synth-tastic 80's rock!!!! But I love Phantoms music score for combining the two genres, even if only for one song. I love the music, my favourite song being 'Music of the Night.' I agree Royal Albert Hall has some very awkward moments, but I keep in mind that it wasn't built for a musical performance, especially with those special effects (Mirror scene and the chandelier drop come to mind), but they did try their best, so props to them for being able to at least pull off an entire musical. But yes, it did get a bit weird.
Don't worry about the pictures, however if you could ever get them I'd love to see them!

As for other musicals, I've only seen a few (as in live, but I've watched clips of other musicals), two of which were 'Cats' and Mamma MIa, which I both enjoyed a lot. But mostly, I LOVE Les Miz, I just saw it for the first time recently on Broadway, and it was fantastic!!!

And for your last question, yes it is :)

I used to be into musicals a couple of years ago. I enjoyed the more "cult-classic", niche type musicals. Stuff like Rocky Horror Picture Show, Repo! The Genetic Opera and Sweeney Todd. Even though I'm not really into those movies annymore, I still like some of the songs, my favorites being "Zydrate Anatomy" from Repo! and "Johanna (Reprise)" from Sweeney Todd.

I used to be into musicals a couple of years ago. I enjoyed the more "cult-classic", niche type musicals. Stuff like Rocky Horror Picture Show, Repo! The Genetic Opera and Sweeney Todd. Even though I'm not really into those movies annymore, I still like some of the songs, my favorites being "Zydrate Anatomy" from Repo! and "Johanna (Reprise)" from Sweeney Todd.

Ah, well as you can see by my profile I'm a way more 'generic' musical fan hahaha. Mostly because where I live musicals don't come around very often, and if they do they have to be VERY famous. So usually the only other expose I get to a full length musical is movie adaptations, like Grease and such. But I have been curious about the Rocky Horror Picture Show as well as Sweeny Todd, so hopefully I might get the chance to check it out. Repo! as well. So maybe I'll watch the movies. I'm kinda wary of movie musicals, because some people complain that it doesn't do the musical justice, but I think the particular ones you mentioned would be ok, and people like the movies. It's movies like 'Phantom' and Les Miserables that people argue have bad musical movies.

And I'll probably end up like you and stop being a huge fanatic. I'm sure I'll always like them, but I always have obsessive phases. But I'll probably still like my favorite songs from the musicals.

Thanks for the reply!

Ah, well as you can see by my profile I'm a way more 'generic' musical fan hahaha. Mostly because where I live musicals don't come around very often, and if they do they have to be VERY famous. So usually the only other expose I get to a full length musical is movie adaptations, like Grease and such. But I have been curious about the Rocky Horror Picture Show as well as Sweeny Todd, so hopefully I might get the chance to check it out. Repo! as well. So maybe I'll watch the movies. I'm kinda wary of movie musicals, because some people complain that it doesn't do the musical justice, but I think the particular ones you mentioned would be ok, and people like the movies. It's movies like 'Phantom' and Les Miserables that people argue have bad musical movies.

And I'll probably end up like you and stop being a huge fanatic. I'm sure I'll always like them, but I always have obsessive phases. But I'll probably still like my favorite songs from the musicals.

Thanks for the reply!

You're welcome. :)

It's generally accepted among fans that the movie adaptations of the musicals I mentioned are of good quality. They're much better received than the movie adaptation of Phantom of the Opera, for example. Although when you're dealing with cult classics, obviously they're not going to be everyone's cup of tea.

Some people hate the Sweeney Todd movie just because they hate Tim Burton and/or Johnny Depp, or the large amount of graphic violence makes them queasy. And from what I heard, Repo! was absolutely trashed by critics, but it still gets quite a bit of love from fans. Out of the three movies I listed, Rocky Horror has the biggest fandom and is the least controversial, especially in the modern day when LGBT themes are much more widely accepted.

Fun fact: Rocky Horror is the longest-running movie in history. Not for actual runtime but for the number of years it has been shown in theaters - it been shown in theaters since the 70s, though nowadays it is usually limited to late night showings at dollar theaters - at least where I live that is.

You're welcome. :)

It's generally accepted among fans that the movie adaptations of the musicals I mentioned are of good quality. They're much better received than the movie adaptation of Phantom of the Opera, for example. Although when you're dealing with cult classics, obviously they're not going to be everyone's cup of tea.

Some people hate the Sweeney Todd movie just because they hate Tim Burton and/or Johnny Depp, or the large amount of graphic violence makes them queasy. And from what I heard, Repo! was absolutely trashed by critics, but it still gets quite a bit of love from fans. Out of the three movies I listed, Rocky Horror has the biggest fandom and is the least controversial, especially in the modern day when LGBT themes are much more widely accepted.

Fun fact: Rocky Horror is the longest-running movie in history. Not for actual runtime but for the number of years it has been shown in theaters - it been shown in theaters since the 70s, though nowadays it is usually limited to late night showings at dollar theaters - at least where I live that is.

Hmm, yeah, I see how those specific movies, or cult movies in general can divide audiences. I can definitely do cult classics, I mean I haven't really watched too many, but I do find myself interested in types of movies/franchises and such that only a specific group like. So even so, I would still watch the movies. Sweeney Todd probably won't bother me, as I'm OK with blood and violence and have nothing against Johnny Depp or Tim Burton, haha, plus I would want to see it anyway. Repo! I would be a little wary on, because I have a very bad attention span when it comes to movies that I don't completely like. But I might end up loving it, so maybe. It's not like I'm drowning in my schedule (I'm in middle school lol) so if I have time to kill I mgiht give it a go.
But I was confident when you mentioned Rocky Horror, I know it's very popular and well liked, in general. It seems pretty interesting, and having it run for so long can't be a bad indication, can it? :p I knew it was still in theaters, and was surprised when I first heard that. But I had no idea it was the longest running in history, cool fact! :):):)

New Threads

Top Bottom