• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any Movie Buffs?

MovieMike

As my name would suggest, I'm rather fond of watching movies. I'm extremely open to all kinds of films, willing to watch films from any time period, country or genre in order to get the most out of the medium. Some of my favourite movies are 2001: A Space Odyssey, Bicycle Thieves, Vertigo, Magnolia and Apocalypse Now.

I also have a decent collection.

Does anyone else have a similar interest in movies? Or just want to discuss movies?

I watch a fair amount of movies, not sure if I should call myself a "movie buff" though.

I'm not even sure if I get the same thing out of movies as most people, and whatever it is that people should get out of it. Most stuff I am interested in moviewise is sci-fi though (and to some extent horror/gore), but I don't limit myself to just that genre only. Sometimes I have phases of certain styles/movies and go through a bunch of movies, like for instance 1930/40's film noir stuff, going anywhere from M to Notorious and everything in between.

I love movies, but always find that not everyone agrees with my choices in them. I tend to choose movies that speak to me most, and since I seem to be speaking a different language to those around me (metaphorically speaking), most people aren't interested :p

I like that in some cases movies can "haunt" me. For hours, days or a lifetime after I exit the theater.

That in some way it "changed me" from a state I was in before seeing the film compared with my thought process after I see it. Certain films are downright profound to me. Of course it can be both amusing and discouraging when others don't see what I see in a particular film.

Hello,

Yes, I also quite like movies and watch a lot of them. I do prefer the ones that make you think or allow me to see something differently. Some classics, some cult, some rare, some indie, and some downright bizarre ones. I never bothered to list all of them though.

These are some of the ones I liked a few years ago: Pi, An American Crime, Duck! The Carbine High Massacre, Possible Worlds, the Cube trilogy, the Ginger Snaps Trilogy, A Beautiful Mind, The Fountain, the Hannibal series, Finally Equal (2081), The I Inside, Idiocracy, Blade Runner, Mr. Brooks, Pandorum, Cargo, Les Sept Jours du Talion (7 days), Das Parfum – Die Geschichte eines Mörders (Perfume: Story of a Murder), Der Kanibale Von Rothenburg (which I could never bring myself to watch to the end, it is quite sad and disturbing), Minority Report, The Secret Window, Zero Day, Stir of Echoes, Donnie Darko, Gataka, The Jacket, American Psycho 2, Pathology, Dread, Sweeney Todd, Antichrist (by Von Trier), Black Swan, The Cement Garden, The Cell, I Spit on Your Grave, A Clockwork Orange, Choke, Fight Club, Moon, Darkstar, The Village, The Butterfly effect (only the first), Hide and Seek, V for Vendetta, Equilibrium, 28 . . . Later, Cry Wolf, Pulse, Hackers, The Invisible, Stay Alive, the Crow series, The Devil's Rejects, the Underworld series, The Matrix trilogy (although the last Matrix movie was disappointing to say the least).

I have to add Synecdoch NY, Mona Lisa Smile, The last airbender, Girl Interrupted, Quills, Electric dreams, Cyrano de Bergerac, M. Butterfly, Naked, Reprise, Mozart and the Whale, Les amities particulieres, Let the right one in, The secret world of words, 2081 Finally equal, Sunshine, Solaris, Agora, The life of Brian, Dark Matter, Being John Malcovich, Heathers (Mean girls but psychotic), Moon, Boys Don't cry, Flat land, Harold and Maude and should stop myself and just make an IMDB list already. :) Yes I am into really odd things and have a soft spot for dark comedies and stories that are just plain strange and normally disturbing to everyone but me. Go figure.

Just re watched "2001: A Space Odyssey" and "Apocalypse Now" is in my bloodstream...watched it so many times.
Have watched many movies including Bollywood, Japanese, oldies etc. I just don't always remember all the actors and actresses names unless it's a movie I really love.

As my name would suggest, I'm rather fond of watching movies. I'm extremely open to all kinds of films, willing to watch films from any time period, country or genre in order to get the most out of the medium. Some of my favourite movies are 2001: A Space Odyssey, Bicycle Thieves, Vertigo, Magnolia and Apocalypse Now.

I also have a decent collection.

Does anyone else have a similar interest in movies? Or just want to discuss movies?

I don't watch nearly as many films as I used to; however, I used to be quite the movie buff. I loved the slower-paced, atmospheric ones, like 2001 or the films of Andrei Tarkovsky.

I do like to keep up with modern cinema, and I tend to have strong opinions--VERY strong opinions--about "highly acclaimed" flicks. I re-watched Children of Men last night, an absolutely BRILLIANT film, and realized that some of the most talented filmmakers don't get the attention they deserve.

I am a massive movie fan and always look on TVGuide to see new movies that are being aired that I have not seen before. I even wrote a list of as many movies I could think of. Needless to say, I'm always adding more to it.

How do you post in this thread without directly replying to another post?

How do you post in this thread without directly replying to another post?

To post within this thread, simply begin typing in the reply box below...having avoided hitting the "reply" button in the preceding posts.

I love films. A few favourites that spring to mind are...

1. The English Patient.
2. The Pianist.
3. Schindlers List.
4. The Notebook.
5. Jane Eyre.
6. Wuthering Heights.
7. One Day.
8.The Passion
9. Charlotte Grey.
10. Step Brothers (John C. Reilly is my celebrity crush)
11. Sucker Punch!
12. The hangover.
13 The Colour Purple.
14. Snow White and the Huntsman.
15. I am Legend.
16. Fight Club.
17. Avatar.
18. Lord of the rings.

Ok. Now I'm going to stop. :)

Thanks Judge. :)

I'm a really random person. I'm forever going off on a tangent. I like to read the books the films are based off too. Then I like to study the storyline, and compare the two. Usually I prefer the book, however 'The English Patient' was much better than the book! I really didn't like it, but I absolutely adore the film. Ralph Fiennes and Juliette Binoche are two of my favourite actors.

It's really hard to say what my favorite movies are, but I'm going to give a top 5 list.

5. Return Of The Jedi
4. Toy Story 3
3. Saving Private Ryan
2. United 93
1. The Wizard Of Oz

I have to admit I'm not much of a deep movie critic. I prefer action movies, comic book movies, sci-fi and comedy. Sometimes I'll branch out though.

Here's a quick list (in no particular order).

1. The Notebook (I just love the final scene where they die peacefully in each other's arms).
2. Most of the Avengers universe films (particularly Captain America: Winter Soldier but not really Hulk).
3. The Crow (Brandon Lee was fantastic and I love the dark gritty tone, plus the whole love being more powerful than death thing).
4. Victor/Victoria (My favourite actress is Dame Julie Andrews and this is my favourite of her movies that I've seen).
5. The Nightmare Before Christmas (I love the style, the songs are catchy and I love the darkness but the fact that it's ultimately kind of innocent).
6. Brave (I love how Merida doesn't have to pick a prince, she gets to be strong on her own, archery is one of my obsessions and I love how she's the first princess to be able to run around with her hair wildly streaming and not looking all fake and perfect).
7. Good Will Hunting (I thought it was a fantastic movie but for me Robin Williams stole the show (especially in the scene where he talks about his wife farting) and Minnie Driver was great in the scene where she tells the joke about the old couple).
8. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (I liked the first two movies and then was horrified by the way the rest of them diverged from the books).
9. The Lord of the Rings (The score is fantastic, I love seeing the beauty of my country on film and I'm a big fan of the fantasy genre).
10. Bridesmaids (I love comedies and although I love nerdy, intelligent humour sometimes a bunch of chicks puking everywhere is funny).
11. Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (I love Alan Rickman in this movie).
12. The Labyrinth (David Bowie. That is all).
13. Robin Hood: Men in Tights (the parody movie before parody movies became a "thing". Plus Billy Crystal as Miracle Max).
14. The Princess Bride (I think between The Crow and The Notebook the fact that I'm a soppy romantic is probably apparent).
15. The Drunken Master (my favourite Jackie Chan movie of all time).

I shall stop there or I'll go on forever...

In reverse alphabetical order, the 13 movies that I've given 5 stars to on Movielens.

Whisper of the Heart
Schindler's List
Raising Arizona
Me and You and Everyone We Know
In the Name of the Father
Goodfellas
A Few Good Men
Election
Duck Soup
A Christmas Story
Bad Santa
Annie Hall
Amélie

Eight comedies, five non-comedies. Guess what I take in a lot.

In reverse alphabetical order, the 13 movies that I've given 5 stars to on Movielens.

Whisper of the Heart
Schindler's List
Raising Arizona
Me and You and Everyone We Know
In the Name of the Father
Goodfellas
A Few Good Men
Election
Duck Soup
A Christmas Story
Bad Santa
Annie Hall
Amélie

Eight comedies, five non-comedies. Guess what I take in a lot.
Unfortunately, some of the worst movies I've ever seen are comedies like Inspector Gadget 2, An Alan Smithee Film: Burn Hollywood Burn! and Disaster Movie.

There's an Inspector Gadget 2?

(Goes to IMDB.)

There's an Inspector Gadget 2! Starring French Stewart! No wonder it stank!

movie drive.JPG

Above is a screen capture of my movie drive,an unknown number of movie files in compressed formats that do not exceed 1.5 GB in size...most of the collection averages about 500 MB in size...this may qualify as me being a movie buff as this drive is only a 3 months old

I have a dvd collection of movie files that is over 100 discs with 4-5 movies on each one
my collection of DVDs bought in a store numbers over 1,000 titles

New Threads

Top Bottom