• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any fiction writers here?

Duna

V.I.P Member
I started writing fiction around age 10. I think I did it for many reasons, one of them because having to translate non-verbal thoughts (like mine) into words slows the thinking process. Like a lot! This is useful when processing some experiences, or as communication practice.
I still do it for that reasons, but most all because it's so much fun to invent stories.

So what's your motivation?

Yes, but I do not get to write so much anymore.

When I was a teenager I was really confused about what I had to do to be a normal person. We were pretty well off in the weeds of the traditionalist Catholic subculture and the problem is, there's some hilariously messed up aspects of that which are neither nice Catholic stuff nor even traditional.
So what I did was I started writing. I took a Remington typewriter and five years of work, producing an 80,000-word book sometime in 2020. I'm not sure what I think of my work, because I ended up freezing it all in a sort of textual permafrost. Unfortunately I was leaning a bit more conservative then so yeah I'm not really thrilled about that.

It was either write or be depressed, so I did both actually. I wrote and still managed to get into crippling depression. Huzzah for multitasking.

I've done a bit but I've rarely shared any of it.

Mostly stuff related to the SCP Foundation... huge fan of that, so I've been inspired to try my hand at making some entries myself.

But it's not gone past that rough draft phase. I'm not big on self confidence, so that slows me down a lot.

I like to write some of mine as the walkthrough to a nonexistent text adventure; i can do it the same way in Inform 7 and get a game exactly how it looks when i wrote it as fiction. Only playable.

Read the leaflet.

It was either write or be depressed, so I did both actually. I wrote and still managed to get into crippling depression. Huzzah for multitasking.
Sorry to hear writing (or anything else) didn't prevent your depression. Hope you'll get better soon!
But it's not gone past that rough draft phase. I'm not big on self confidence, so that slows me down a lot.
How does confidence relate to writing? I can see how confidence may keep you from sharing what you write, it happens to a lot of people, and it surely would have happened to me if I hadn't been very secretive about my writing. Like even hiding the fact that I was writing.
It took me some years to come out and share my stories with a very selected group of persons. And though they say it's good, I "know" it isn't. So there's that for sharing and confidence.
Does this include my pension claim?
@Outdated Honest thanks for making me laugh - again :)
I like to write some of mine as the walkthrough to a nonexistent text adventure; i can do it the same way in Inform 7 and get a game exactly how it looks when i wrote it as fiction. Only playable.
Now this is an intriguing aspect of writing! I did some script-like writing myself and know there's a special technique to write for games, but never actually tried it myself.
Not me but I admire people with great writing skills.
I think there's a big difference between having great writing skills and the ability to invent stories. I'm good at the latter, but sometimes I wish I could hire a ghost writer.

I think there's a big difference between having great writing skills and the ability to invent stories. I'm good at the latter, but sometimes I wish I could hire a ghost writer.
I'm the opposite. I really enjoy writing and I write quite a lot but I simply don't have the imagination to invent an interesting story.

One exercise I really did enjoy was writing my autobiography. It's purely for personal use but I had a lot of fun doing it. It helped me to exercise a of of old ghosts.

One exercise I really did enjoy was writing my autobiography. It's purely for personal use but I had a lot of fun doing it. It helped me to exercise a of of old ghosts.
I know some people who did write an autobiography for therapeauticcal purposes and said it helped a lot.
I can't write about myself. At least not in a deep way. I can answer questions, and would answer them truthfully, or say I don't want to answer, and in 2-3 case I would lie.
But whatever goes on inside of me, or ouside of me, my way to process is by having someone fictional live through it.

I have participated in group fiction stories where you create a character and interact with other writer's characters to create a story. That was amazing fun. I have also written the first part of a novel length story, but hit a writers block in trying to continue it.

That said, I have had many dreams that are self-contained stories far outside of my actual experience. I know not what stimulates them for they are quite random taking place in alien places or slightly altered reality, and made up from odd bits and pieces. I mentioned elsewhere on the forums that I once dreamed I was Julie Andrews going through the mundane process of preparing and rehearsing a TV special.

I guess I have an overactive imagination that I must express in some way from time to time. The flip side of creating stories, either written or imagined, would be my drawings. I see it all as mind threads that need expression in some manner. I dearly miss those group writing sessions for they really released my imagination while providing stellar lessons in the mechanisms of writing character and story.

Anyway, I was motivated by the topic to contribute this tiny bit of writing but it is time for me to say adieu.

I have participated in group fiction stories where you create a character and interact with other writer's characters to create a story. That was amazing fun. I have also written the first part of a novel length story, but hit a writers block in trying to continue it.

That said, I have had many dreams that are self-contained stories far outside of my actual experience. I know not what stimulates them for they are quite random taking place in alien places or slightly altered reality, and made up from odd bits and pieces. I mentioned elsewhere on the forums that I once dreamed I was Julie Andrews going through the mundane process of preparing and rehearsing a TV special.

I guess I have an overactive imagination that I must express in some way from time to time. The flip side of creating stories, either written or imagined, would be my drawings. I see it all as mind threads that need expression in some manner. I dearly miss those group writing sessions for they really released my imagination while providing stellar lessons in the mechanisms of writing character and story.

Anyway, I was motivated by the topic to contribute this tiny bit of writing but it is time for me to say adieu.
@Richelle-H Hello! I've truly missed you!

And yes, I do love writing. I haven't done a lot of it recently, however. There is an excellent cooperative writing game on the forums called "Get the Cookie". It's a high stakes, yet silly, spy vs spy game, where each person outlines how they would steal the most important artefact in the world "THE COOKIE", and then outlines where they hid it. . And then the next person sneaks in and steals the cookie, and hides it, and so on.

It is great fun. It gets really good around page seven or eight. If you're interested in a fun read some night, you should read through it, and then add your little piece of espionage.

If you play, I will too. Currently, I believe that I have THE COOKIE, and I have had it for some time now.

Sorry to hear writing (or anything else) didn't prevent your depression. Hope you'll get better soon!
I'm actually doing great and have been free of depression since January the tenth or eleventh of 2022. Depression is a complicated thing and I'm somewhat afraid of it. But it's not bothering me now. I was unclear because I was trying to write my post on a phone instead of the computer, and it's difficult to do that well. Phones are hard.

I'm wanting to write more; I have stories written down in longhand or in typescript but I haven't put them on the computer yet. I'm also kinda shy about sharing them because they were a lot of work to write and I'm not interested in listening to people complain, or fitting into the premade niche of "Author" especially "modern, Catholic Author", because of the people I'd be writing for.

I self published a novel in 2020 as a game and tried to start a minor publishing imprint, but it was plagued with interest from the wrong people. I had folks very interested in the project but they were largely overlapping with consumers of far-right content. I could have really leaned into that as there's always money in the grift machine, but I was pretty creeped out and let the project drop. Privacy and safety matter, and I am not a right-winger and get somewhat aggravated when people mistake me for one.

If this sounds way too political that was a major side of my upbringing in a reactionary side of the weird Catholic homeschool community and I think it was kind of disgusting.

@Duna

When you mentioned a difference between being a proficent writer and being able to weave a beguiling yarn, there is indeed, a difference. It is the difference between technical and creative writing; it is often bifurcated on the fiction, non-fiction line. Technical writing can get a bit of flack because it is all about the rules and precision, but those rules and precision also mark the difference between a truly skilled writer and an armchair enthusiast.

Over the years I've encountered many 'writers' who would flood online forums with their ideas seeking validation for said idea and vehemently proclaiming, no one had better steal their idea...but the crucial point that was missed is the fact that ideas cannot be copyrighted because it is just an idea, not a realised product (manuscript/short story/memoir). Ideas are literally nonquantifiable until the individual makes it tangible be it in writing, painting, music, etc...It is the human element that makes art a reality.

Among autistics, introversion is the dominant archetype. And as is the case with many introverts, most have a very rich inner world. These thoughts and ideas are often expressed in creative mediums like art, music, and writing.

A lot of the folks on this forum are very good writers, although they might not consider themselves writers. They are smart, articulate, and engaging. All things readers look for in good characters. How someone presents something as simple as a reply on an internet forum can say a lot about the individual themselves. Consider the difference a well presented reply ellicits when viewed directly below a single line reply without punctuation or capitalisation. Which opinion is going to be taken more seriously?

Writing, be it fiction or nonfiction, is entirely about context and expectations. A lot of people do it as a hobby, a form of therapy, or to relieve pent up emotions. There is no wrong way to do it and skill sets will cover the spectrum. (The number of rabid teeter-totter badly rhymed vague ambiguities of angsty poetry I've critiqued I've lost count on.) Some folks excel at technical writing and founder on the rocks of amorphous mediums like fiction and poetry. (Among autistic writers that I've encountered it tends to be one of those spiked skill profiles rife among the neurotype. Very few have an even profile across the mediums. Even fewer write the gamut consistently, most have a preferred niche.)

Writing like any creative medium often takes on the guise of its source, in writing, this is often known as voice. Effective writers have a very clear voice and recognisable style. On the flipside there are people who think a stream of conscious catharisis journal entry is the epitomy of 'modern' poetry. (Again, it is opinion, thusly it is neither right nor wrong.) But the crucial fact is that when one hits POST and that reply is public, it is essential published and content is now public domain (authors maintain copyright, but it is now open to critique and opinion). The work will stand or fall on its own merit and that is the point way too many armchair enthusiasts miss in their quest to be the next Colleen Hoover. (Get enough people to drink the Kool-aid and even bad writing becomes 'good'. Hoover via TikTok and Patterson via traditional publishing. (Both have a reading comprehension score at about a fourth or fifth grade reading level. Average US reading comprehension scores are about sixth grade for about 54% of the general population.)

I wrote my first poem in 1st Grade, my first novel in 4th Grade, I also did my first MLA format research paper the same year. For me words have always mattered. They are all I have and the only tool I can wield with any discernable effect. It is only a single tool among thousands, but it is tool that is often maligned, overlooked, or simply taken for granted. That mindset makes me mad, so I write. I fight the good fight and share even as I continue to learn.

Sorry if I come off sounding like a snob, but I've written the gamut, critiqued the gamut, read the gamut amd then critiqued what I read over the course of the gamut. Some people travel the world. I travel the world of the written word.

I write a bit. Much of mine is inspired by dreams I've had. Currently still messing around with the biggest; a 59 chapter sci-fi, fantasy and mythological-inspired story.

Many of the stories I write are connected.

From the novel I mentioned that I finished in 2020-- Olivia is the female antagonist of a five-person cast of main characters; the male antagonist is Trent Corcoran. Francis Crane & Nellie Baker are now living across the street from one another & their romance can be summed up as "ugly D&D nerd & horse-crazy fat kid are friends." There were other supporting characters as well. The book took place in a small town borrowed half from some South Carolina towns and half from the stereotypical location Blossom Bend as seen in Harold Lloyd's Grandma's Boy (1921). The book was essentially a love-letter to old books, dad jokes, silent movies & grandparents' stories and a whole mess of things I saw. It reads like a pre-WWI light novel but set in 2018-19 and cast with very Gen Z characters.

And she (Nellie) put on her little hat, turned, and marched out the door. Out on the sidewalk she drew a bundle of manuscripts from her bag and tossed them in a compact, clammy lump onto the ground.
Olivia walked back down the hall to her room, like a condemned prisoner taking the last walk to the death cell. She shut the door, sat down, and looked in the folder. In the top drawer of her desk were a small collection of rejection slips, all hers.
"Find a new topic." -- "A children's book cannot have a dismemberment on the frontispiece, not in watercolors nor in anything else." -- "Killing people is never a solution to bad actions." -- "Not even Christians read Christian fiction." She crumpled them into a ball in her hands, ran outside and scooped the manuscripts from the sidewalk. Running back inside, she kicked aside the screen before the fireplace and cast them into the receiving arms of flame, and that is how Olivia, age seventeen and three-quarters, realized too late that her parents had sealed the chimney off when they installed the gas log conversion.

It's dumb but the difference is, I KNOW this was dumb. The whole thing was meant to be dumb as can be.

Why do you say it's dumb?
And Nelly throws the manuscripts on the sidewalk, then Olivia picks and burn them because they were rejected?

Why do you say it's dumb?
And Nelly throws the manuscripts on the sidewalk, then Olivia picks and burn them because they were rejected?
That was a long burning feud between those two characters...Nellie was written as the stereotypically naive but overeducated child of two eccentric arts professors. She was meant to be a sort of archetype for all the kids and teenagers I have seen like that and you wonder about them some years later and start wondering did they ever make it in life or are they bagging groceries at Winn-Dixie.

Olivia was the OTHER archetype, the suspiciously attractive one, the one who's probably going to lean into the tradwife aesthetic, blonde and blue eyes and just enough talent to get in trouble. She's not a very interesting character to write but, steeped in Evangelical-style purity culture, she ended up trying to save Nellie's chastity by causing her to gain weight when she eats at Olivia's house working on these "manuscripts."

No great harm done, everyone is okay, but it was a good excuse for Nellie to stand up for herself and quit being Olivia's easily-manipulated private secretary.

This was one comic subplot (Olivia's a spectacularly horrible writer) but I enjoy making funny parts and serious parts to a story when I write. I have to go dig up the parts with some of the men in the book, they were fun to write.

but I enjoy making funny parts and serious parts to a story when I write.
Same here. I think I would slide into a depression if I only wrote serious parts. In fact, I can't really do them unless I'm feeling down myself

Thanatos on Wheels

THE IDEA OF A SKELETAL STEED HAD GROWN RATHER QUAINT ever since the flesh-and-blood ones were displaced by motors, and he was much too dignified to use a bicycle, so Death sat down and ordered an automobile from the Sears Roebuck catalog. It seemed proper enough for Death to have a machine of his own now; after all the newspapers were full of people being run over by these dreadful things,
tearing through towns at thirty miles an hour. It had gotten where the chickens didn’t stand a chance when they were feeding in the streets. Boys no longer had to tie tin cans to dogs’ tails—now the tin cans went down the streets on wheels with the dogs chasing them. They ran over their owners when they were being cranked,
they stalled on hills and rolled backwards onto railroad tracks, they fell through wooden bridges and seemed to target perambulators willfully and generally did quite a bit of damage, not to mention the horses which, being rendered obsolete, were taken out and shot, that they might be rendered into something else in the
adhesive and bonemeal line.
Surely this was doing his work for him, Death mused. There were a couple classes of cars: big heavy ones, twin-six Packards and White steamers and the like; smaller ones like the Overland and the Nybergs and Maxwells, then the Ford (which was in a class of its own; specifically the cheap and slow variety.) Then after that, in
the bottom-of-the-barrel category of cheapness, were some tin-pot little machines that made Fords look like Cadillacs. Roofs were optional, engines came out of motorcycles, and they didn’t have horns but still looked like the devil anyway. Death had equipped himself with something of the nice six-cylinder sliding-gearbox variety, seven-passenger touring, quite adequate for the professional who might want to take some friends along on a surprise outing. When the thing had been delivered, he had put gasoline in, had the deliveryman crank it for him, and then proceeded to experiment like an unskillful organist on the pedals. Making a great deal of noise the car took off like a skyrocket.
At this point Death began to see some certain troubles with the plan; namely, the automobile was too loud for him to come quietly to his appointments with the professional aplomb and poise expected, but it was easy enough. There were signs on the side of the road telling him what to do with the car, which eased things considerably.

STEEP HILL AHEAD
CLIMB IN SECOND GEAR

Easy enough, thought Death, confusing the shift-lever with the service brake. He had to ascend the hill in disgrace (and in reverse) but felt himself quite prepared for the next one.

BLIND CURVE
PLEASE SOUND KLAXON

Death, mindful of proper etiquette, pressed the button on the dashboard, and the squall of the electric horn sent someone off into the ditch on his bicycle. Looking back in the rearview mirror he saw that it had not killed him and that he was waving at him cheerfully. He felt very sorry for him, of course, but continued on round the
next bend. (He was not a callous soul, Death was, to go back & make sure that he was dead.)
There was a little town up there, one of those spreading-chestnut-tree joints you see in Currier-and-Ives prints, and it appeared Leonidas Spurtclabber was campaigning for office. Leon was not unpopular in the community; he had gotten the local Grangers on his side with promises to help the farmer and many quotes cribbed directly from William Jennings Bryan, and should have been named after the Montgolfiers because of his propensity for hot air. Death took one last lingering look back to the little pavilion festooned with bunting and banners, looked back to the road as he was driving out of town and saw:

NO GAS NEXT SIXTY-FIVE MILES.

“Well, I know a thing or two about that,” said Death, executing a perfect three-point turn and heading back--

The Sun-Telegram, April 17, 1913
Regrettably our own Leonidas Spurtclabber, friend of the American agriculturalist, was run over and killed by an automobile as he left the bandshell in Sherman Park last Saturday, having spoken to the Horse Breeders’ Union on the declining market of light horses suitable for draft purposes; his tragic death marks the end of an era for the town of Greenfield, and for the local politicians….

And so the editorial turned itself into an obituary before piously expiring on the fifth page. But that was no matter. On the road out of town the automobile was bowling along rapidly and Death now had a passenger. Leonidas’ soul had been judged and found a grafter and a cad, so naturally he was giving a two-day
filibuster, which was plenty of “gas” for Death to continue on. He would even have enough left over for the Mt. Parnassus Hill Climb next year entering in the 40-horsepower class.

In the sitting room of an undersized and over-furnished house, two old maids in curl-papers and Mother Hubbards were talking as the cat quietly ripped up the back of a sofa.
“What has come over you in these last days?” said one of them.
“I am growing old. Eudocia. We’re all growing old.”
“I am forty-eight now.”
“Yes, death seems to come faster for all of us these days.” And on the highway, a streak of enameled iron and polish and flying dust, the car blasted past a sign that read:

SPEED LIMIT SIXTY PER HOUR
(underneath which a wag had painted: Fords do your damdest.)

On the turnpike, the officer at the tollbooth opened the gate for the man in the big seven-passenger car.
“I would have had better service at the Styx,” said the driver, “and the toll is less.”
“Listen, have you macadamized a road lately? Took us all month to get this one done, and of course the tolls are cheaper out in the sticks; the roads there are abominable.”
“Away with thee; Charon is a better conversationalist.”
“I’m sure she is, but don’t call me Sharon, or else—“
“You would be playing with Death.”
“I’d heaps rather see Susan. You know they almost put her in the Follies?”
“You would know plenty about follies,” said the driver.
“Go on, dry up.”
“Like bones,” he said, letting out the clutch, “like old bones.” The car jerked once and took off again. The sarcastic laugh was lost in the inexpertly shifted grind from the gearbox.

Death was becoming quite proficient at the visitations by motor. There was a scythe rack neatly attached to the running-board now, but he preferred a collapsible one that stored in a fitted leatherette case (a boon to all auto fanciers, the advertisement read) and he had plenty of room for souls on board the car, even if one of them, consistent to the last, had stolen the lap-robe out of the back seat. Having picked up the man at the tollbooth six months later, in keeping with the genteel tendency never to forget a friend, Death was continuing on down a
mountain road when he saw the sign ahead:

USE PLEXO SOON.

And it was this that baffled Death.

“Plexo, plexo!” he stammered, trying a varied series of controls with no effects. “Where in the name of Cerberus’ three half-chewed hambones did they put the plexo control at? I must have forgotten something—“
Traveling at fifty miles per hour, the automobile ran directly into the side of a covered bridge, knocking out most of the planks, and plunged into a stream where it landed upside down with a terrible crash in eight feet of water. And before the impact he remembered that one of his customers had mentioned Plexo once: an excellent brand of cold-cream, which, being the Grim Reaper, was entirely useless to him as he had nowhere really to put it on.

(continued)

New Threads

Top Bottom