• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any fellow Linux users on here?

This is an image of my present Silverstone case, with the MSI motherboard I may update it with. You can see that about 70% of the front of the case amounts to one 180mm fan, pouring air in a confined area and blown out the back yet maintaining positive airflow.

I'm also reconsidering using NVMe drives, as I don't really need an astronomical speed boost. I may just stick to using removable SSDs in a 3.5 drive bay at the bottom of the case. That way I can swap as many operating systems as I choose, rather than to limit them to two using a dual boot. Also the temperature factor is lower with SATA SSDs as opposed to running hot NVMe drives.

My main concern with upgrading the motherboard and CPU remains greater thermodynamic concerns for using such a small case. But I love this quirky case and want to always have access to playing DVDs through an optical drive. 5.25 drive bays for optical drives are essentially a thing of the past when it comes to current computer cases, except perhaps Fractal Design's "Pop" cases.

And yes, it's no error. The motherboard with this particular case really is inverted.

TJO8-E.jpg

Last edited:
Your hardware may require an updated kernel beyond version 5.15 assuming that's what you are presently running in Linux Mint 21.
This made me curious about what kernel I'm running so I had a look. Kernel 6.5.0.

screen62.jpg

Last edited:
This is an image of my present Silverstone case, with the MSI motherboard I may update it with. You can see that about 70% of the front of the case amounts to one 180mm fan, pouring air in a confined area and blown out the back yet maintaining positive airflow.

I'm also reconsidering using NVMe drives, as I don't really need an astronomical speed boost. I may just stick to using removable SSDs in a 3.5 drive bay at the bottom of the case. That way I can swap as many operating systems as I choose, rather than to limit them to two using a dual boot. Also the temperature factor is lower with SATA SSDs as opposed to running hot NVMe drives.

My main concern with upgrading the motherboard and CPU remains greater thermodynamic concerns for using such a small case. But I love this quirky case and want to always have access to playing DVDs through an optical drive. 5.25 drive bays for optical drives are essentially a thing of the past when it comes to current computer cases, except perhaps Fractal Design's "Pop" cases.

And yes, it's no error. The motherboard with this particular case really is inverted.

View attachment 125192

Having second thoughts about capitalizing on my existing case for a new computer build. I may opt to build something completely new, up to current standards. Allowing me some space to be able to upgrade if I wanted to on a much broader scale with a larger (ATX) form factor in a case with inherently more airflow.

I love my Silverstone TJO8-E case, but it may not accommodate the increased heat of 12th, 13th and all future generation CPUs. I'm just not comfortable in the idea of maintaining positive airflow with only a single larger front intake fan and a single smaller exhaust fan. Not to mention the excessive heat from modern motherboards involving more elaborate VRM and SSD/NVMe heatsinks. Designs which incidentally may not cooperate being seated upside down in an older case. Meant for hardware in a different era of computing, some 12 years ago.

One thing for sure, right now it seems far more complicated in building a computer than it did some 12 years ago. Though it would also seem my options for getting everything I want in a case relative to the computer guts to put into it may be limited to Fractal Design's "Pop Air" case. One built with modern features, yet has two 5.25 drive bays at the front and bottom of the case. Plenty of airflow, and not overly noisy. (Noise factor always remains a priority with me. While this line of case does have a "silent" version of this case, it's what many builders would call a 'hot box'. Which compromises on airflow to accommodate a quieter case.)

Last edited:
Allowing me some space to be able to upgrade if I wanted to on a much broader scale with a larger (ATX) form factor in a case with inherently more airflow.
A mistake that the shop owner made when he gave me a quote on my current computer. The motherboard he quoted on didn't fit in the case that he'd quoted on, so I ended up with a much larger case at no extra charge.

The only requirement I put on a case was that I didn't want all the stupid flashing lights and light up fans. I never mentioned autism, I told him that I'm an old man and I don't want my lounge room looking like a cheap 1970s discoteque.

I'm quite happy about the larger case, it leaves me a lot more leeway for future upgrades.

The only requirement I put on a case was that I didn't want all the stupid flashing lights and light up fans. I never mentioned autism, I told him that I'm an old man and I don't want my lounge room looking like a cheap 1970s discoteque.

I'm quite happy about the larger case, it leaves me a lot more leeway for future upgrades.
LOL...I hate all that RGB crap as well. Kidstuff I don't want or need. If I were to get the Pop Air it would be the one with no RGB and a solid black panel (no glass). But I do like that has those two hidden 5.25 bays.

Pop Air ATX Solid.jpg

It's frustrating for me at the moment...vacillating between a new case and refurbishing the older ones I already have. Good an bad points to both...

This is the case I'm using, and I'm quite happy about it. Just plain simple and elegant. No light up fans but I do have light up rams that keep changing through the whole colour spectrum, they're cheaper than the plain ones these days.

This is the case I'm using, and I'm quite happy about it. Just plain simple and elegant. No light up fans but I do have light up rams that keep changing through the whole colour spectrum, they're cheaper than the plain ones these days.

My kind of case. USB and audio ports facing parallel to the ground. Two 5.25 drive bays.

A bit on the big side, reminds me of a full tower I once had years ago with as many as six visible 5.25 drive bays, and two 3.5 bays . But like so many beige plastic cases, it became discolored and yellowed. Got sick of it....went to a smaller case that had different plastic that never discolored. That one (shown below) serves presently as my "legacy" computer running Windows XP. It's quite busy, with nearly every visible drive bay used.

Legacy Case.jpg

Apart from a lack of visible drive bays, newer cases tend to have the usb and audio ports on the top of the case. I hate that...though I do like power supply shrouds that hide the power supply and so much cable management.

Last edited:
newer cases tend to have the usb and audio ports on the top of the case.
Where they promptly fill up with dust and become useless.

I had originally asked for a smaller case, but with future upgrades in mind I'm quite happy with what I got. Yes it's a bit on the big side, but I've run in to problems with smaller cases before.

Where they promptly fill up with dust and become useless.

I had originally asked for a smaller case, but with future upgrades in mind I'm quite happy with what I got. Yes it's a bit on the big side, but I've run in to problems with smaller cases before.
I've been pretty fortunate in that instance, as my computer goes under my desktop onto a steel shelf. Elevated off the ground, but with the desktop covering it. The case has an opening for air intake for the power supply, but it also has it's own removable mesh filter. Not much dust enters from the top.

Another big deal about my Silverstone case is that it also has a second mesh filter behind of the 180mm main fan. You just slide it out of the side of the case to periodically clean it. Very convenient. :cool:

SS TJO8-E.jpg

Mine has the same removable mesh, held in place magnetically.
They matter !

BTW, Linux Mint 21.3 just "upgraded" their kernel. ...but still in the 5.15.0.92 range. Looks like version 21.3 is as far as they will go before version 22 presumably in 2027. Still no complaints since upgrading.

They can be timid about innovation, but they are cautious to maintain a reputation for stability when it comes to their operating system. Can't fault them for that. Besides, they're Irish. :)

Last edited:
Ubuntu just started something new - a subscription service for security updates. To me that's the beginning of the end of Ubuntu. I think I'll be going back to Fedora again soon.

screen63.jpg

Ubuntu just started something new - a subscription service for security updates. To me that's the beginning of the end of Ubuntu. I think I'll be going back to Fedora again soon.
Just stick to the basic version of Ubuntu. It's the "Pro" version they want to charge for.

Better yet, try Mint 21.3. Cinnamon, Mate or Xfce.

Just to interject an heretical(?) view here, I shifted from a Linux (Dell) laptop to a Mac when they shifted to a UNIX/BSD OS. I have been in the walled garden ever since. My current laptop (MacBook Pro, 15”, mid-2014) still does what I need (which is a lot less than when I was teaching parallel computing methods, internationally - hence the need for CUDA-capable, portable computing.) I don’t game, beyond playing Go online, through IGS, using my iPad. Uptime on the laptop is currently at 135 days. (I can’t remember what took it down - it wasn’t voluntary. I typically have over 100 browser tabs open - they are complete work environments.) But if you don’t want to go to Mac, and want a real operating system, Linux will do it.

Your hardware may require an updated kernel beyond version 5.15 assuming that's what you are presently running in Linux Mint 21. Check this out to see if it makes any sense.

Yeah I did have 5.15 but even installing and switching to the most recent kernel version available in the update manager (6.5.0-15) still didn't fix the issue (and I also tried 6.2 first, so you don't need to suggest I try that one instead)

It's just so weird, but I ain't gonna bother trying to troubleshoot it anymore - I'll just use it wired when playing on Linux and wireless on Windows.

In other news, finally updated to Mint 21.3.

It's just so weird, but I ain't gonna bother trying to troubleshoot it anymore - I'll just use it wired when playing on Linux and wireless on Windows.

Understandable. So much about Bluetooth technology remains within the realm of "weird". So convenient, so widely used, so widely publicized, and yet so widely problematic.

I'd like to use such technology, but without so many hassles. Though in this instance I can't swear for sure this is more of a Bluetooth problem and less of a Linux one. I'm still vexed as to why Linux "CUPS" connects effortlessly to my color inkjet printer wirelessly, and yet cannot negotiate a wired USB 2.0 connection.

Last edited:
Just stick to the basic version of Ubuntu. It's the "Pro" version they want to charge for.

Better yet, try Mint 21.3. Cinnamon, Mate or Xfce.
This is a bit late but it also seems that the Ubuntu Pro subscriptions are really only being pushed towards enterprise users and businesses. If you go to the webpage and choose 'Myself' as the option for 'Who this subscription is for', they show the price as being free (for 5 machines) for personal use.

Which, even though I don't use Ubuntu, I'm totally fine with? You're a business and you need Ubuntu Pro for the three hundred PCs used in your office, pay up for a sub so John Ubuntu can keep developing Ubuntu, but if you're just some random person who uses Ubuntu as their distro of choice? Who cares, you wanna use Ubuntu Pro for the longer security maintenance, go right ahead.

This is a bit late but it also seems that the Ubuntu Pro subscriptions are really only being pushed towards enterprise users and businesses. If you go to the webpage and choose 'Myself' as the option for 'Who this subscription is for', they show the price as being free (for 5 machines) for personal use.

Which, even though I don't use Ubuntu, I'm totally fine with? You're a business and you need Ubuntu Pro for the three hundred PCs used in your office, pay up for a sub so John Ubuntu can keep developing Ubuntu, but if you're just some random person who uses Ubuntu as their distro of choice? Who cares, you wanna use Ubuntu Pro for the longer security maintenance, go right ahead.

Ironically as much as I like Mint 21.3 and Pop!OS22.04, I tried Ubuntu 22.04 and didn't care for it.

But I'm not at all happy with Ubuntu given an earlier post about them exploring the idea of a cutoff date relative to older CPUs. Microsoft went and did it with Windows 11, which is why I'm now using Linux.

And now having to contemplate building another system, none which I am too happy about. Though it stands to reason that the market moves so fast, and ultimately can dictate planned obsolescence when they want.

New Threads

Top Bottom