• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anxiety

bubbles

Does anyone have any ways to cope with anxiety when in social situations because college makes me so nervous so I need some anxiety reducing methods

Does anyone have any ways to cope with anxiety when in social situations because college makes me so nervous so I need some anxiety reducing methods
It seems cardiovascular exercise has been shown to be beneficial in combating both depression and anxiety. Activities such as cycling, running and swimming increase the heart rate and also increase chemicals such as dopamine into the brain. Dopamine is good for sleep aid and can counter depression. However, if you do too much you can get hooked so only exercise so many times a week.
You might need to address the root cause of the anxiety as well. For some reason back in the eighties I had this phobia based on my class teacher. I recall it started when she picked somone out in the class during a language class and wouldn't let him off the hook and I used to be terrified I'd get picked out.too It used to make me so nervous going to the class as I thought I'd come off looking like an idiot. It's something I just grew out of in time.

You might need to address the root cause of the anxiety

I know what causes it. It seems to be when Im with more people than I'm comfortable with when there is 2 people its not so bad but give me any more I start worrying and I fiddle with my bag, play on my phone, and bite inside my mouth( I only notice I'm doing thease sometimes they are completely compulsive I don't realise until later i have been displaying thease behaviours)

I have same thing. Maybe a stress ball? Gives your hands something to do if you are forced to out with people, your hands don't have to wander and find something to play with.

Another anti anxiety strategy: If you know ahead of time that you'll be going into a group setting, avoid any & all caffeine the day before & the day of the event. Avoid all refined sugary sweet foods & sodas. Get lots of rest the day before & avoid scheduling any events for the day of, before or after, if possible. Choose a simple hairstyle that is appropriate but not too new or different to what you normally do. Wear something appropriate BUT so comfortable that you'll forget you're wearing it. Pack your purse or wallet or bag well ahead of time so you won't be running around stuffing things into it at the last minute & get that annoying feeling like you've forgotten something. Wear shoes you can actually stand or walk in.

For something regular like going to college, these same tips can be adapted. Caffeine will make you jittery, more fidgety & nervous. All kinds of sugar will give you a spike then a crash. If you're physically uncomfortable or tugging awkwardly at your clothing, you'll be less able to manage a social situation.

I found that showing up as close to class time as I could manage without being actually late helped: I could fly into the bldg, go directly to class & the lecture would begin with little blab time. Leaving immediately after class helped too: there's no law that says you have to linger: for all anyone knows, you have a job you've got to run off to.

I know what causes it. It seems to be when Im with more people than I'm comfortable with when there is 2 people its not so bad but give me any more I start worrying and I fiddle with my bag, play on my phone, and bite inside my mouth( I only notice I'm doing thease sometimes they are completely compulsive I don't realise until later i have been displaying thease behaviours)
It passes in time. I used to get this really bad in my twenties. If possible see a good psychologist to try and find out what might be causing you to feel uneasy - there is sometimes a link. All I can say is you need to continually face your fears so they lessen as if you avoid situations, the fear grows and grows. I had it so bad in classes at one point I'd drink some alcohol to calm down as I used to get so wound up.
As I said the exercise should help as opposed to meds. Dopamine can be very useful for bringing about improved sleep and relaxation and you'll be burning up nervous energy.
I really don't know how come I grew out of my symptoms but I just did. Maybe I will feel very very nervous in a new situation but it tends to settle down in a couple of weeks in my case.

My social anxiety is now so bad I almost never go out which is my way of coping. I've never even been on public transport since 2004 and on the odd occasion I do have to go out my doctor always prescribes some anti-anxiety medication.

I agree with all suggestions. i want to add I took up yoga about 4 years ago, when I practice for a few minutes each evening and when I get up in the morning, everything seems to go much smoother for me. My anxiety levels lessen greatly. It's also really hard for me to sit still to mediate but I do try to calm my mind and body for at least 5 minutes, even if I have to lay down to do it.
When I have to socialize (planned), say for meetings or something of the sort, I go through the dialogue in my head (and sometimes talk out loud lol). I get mentally prepared for what might be said to me and what I will respond with. I also go through more than one scenario for a certain situation, because as we know things do not always go according to plan.

I'm not sure the alcohol is a good idea. A little more will help, more than that will help even more. My dad used it for that, it also compounds depression.

New Threads

Top Bottom