• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

anecdotes from being on the spectrum.

Ronald Zeeman

V.I.P Member
Years ago my wife and I decided to visit Montreal, check out the city camp at a provincial park outside the city just outside of the little town of Oka while we were sleeping
some me twit put graffiti on our car probably because we had Ontario license plates. Wife woke up before me screamed. I got up calmed her down then quietly went to the back of the car grabbed my can of quick start and removed the graffiti took less time than it took to apply it. Wife was stunned. told her I'm an expert on painting, industrial commercial, or malicious. The primary solvent in spray paint is ether. This is the first time I have ever really mentioned this. surprised in all these years no one else has ever thought about this. considering how big an issue it is .

^^The difference between an emotional reaction and a logical, more reasoned reaction^^

On a similar note, when my boys were at the university, and still inexperienced drivers, they both came home at different times with different vehicles with dented in front or rear bumper covers, the little 2-3 mph crumples from not paying attention to where they were parking or backing out of a space. Polyurethane bumper covers, if you poor hot water on the dent, will soften the material enough that you can push from the opposite side and smooth out the dent.

Not really an autism anecdote, per se, but rather just a knowledge thing.

Urethane is one of the few resin that will selfheal when scratched. So my visit was a year prior to the OKA crisis. If anyone curious. Aso Quebec culture much more European than Ontario culture. just one public washroom when we went swimming a single change room with a partition. In Ontario two separate buildings.

At my work a lot of people see problems. And if there is a problem they leave it that way because they cannot solve it.
A very simple example from the past week. I work at a school as something that is best described as a mix of janitor, TA and social worker. All students have a card to open their lockers. And students are not allowed to take their jacked into the classroom, and in some classes like cooking and workshop they are not allowed to bring their backpack. These things need to go into their lockers. We also have students that start in the 2nd or 3rd year that come from another school. They do not have these cards yet and they need to be printed with their picture, student number and name. Our systems were upgraded to windows 11 and the card printer did not work yet. Every colleage simply said they could not use a locker which would require the new students to always bring everything to every class. And explain why they did not put their stuff in the lockers.
I heard the problem. Grapped a stash of blank card, wrote the name on the passes and assigned them a locker. Sure it did not have their student number and picture but the printer should be fixed within 3 weeks tops.
Temporary solution to a very inconvinient problem and it took me a couple of minutes. Then when the card printer is fixed you can make them their actual cars and we can assign the lockers to that pass. It is only printed on one side so you can even use the backside of the current pass if you don`t want to waste them.
This was a very simple problem. But 'problems' like this happen all the time and for some reason I`m the only one that can come up with a solution.
In Dutch we have an expression: "Als het niet kan zoals het moet, moet het zoals het kan." which translates to. "If it cannot be done the way it should. It should be done the way it can." My biggest strength at work is living by that expression, while still staying within the boundaries of rules and regulations.

At my work a lot of people see problems. And if there is a problem they leave it that way because they cannot solve it.
A very simple example from the past week. I work at a school as something that is best described as a mix of janitor, TA and social worker. All students have a card to open their lockers. And students are not allowed to take their jacked into the classroom, and in some classes like cooking and workshop they are not allowed to bring their backpack. These things need to go into their lockers. We also have students that start in the 2nd or 3rd year that come from another school. They do not have these cards yet and they need to be printed with their picture, student number and name. Our systems were upgraded to windows 11 and the card printer did not work yet. Every colleage simply said they could not use a locker which would require the new students to always bring everything to every class. And explain why they did not put their stuff in the lockers.
I heard the problem. Grapped a stash of blank card, wrote the name on the passes and assigned them a locker. Sure it did not have their student number and picture but the printer should be fixed within 3 weeks tops.
Temporary solution to a very inconvinient problem and it took me a couple of minutes. Then when the card printer is fixed you can make them their actual cars and we can assign the lockers to that pass. It is only printed on one side so you can even use the backside of the current pass if you don`t want to waste them.
This was a very simple problem. But 'problems' like this happen all the time and for some reason I`m the only one that can come up with a solution.
In Dutch we have an expression: "Als het niet kan zoals het moet, moet het zoals het kan." which translates to. "If it cannot be done the way it should. It should be done the way it can." My biggest strength at work is living by that expression, while still staying within the boundaries of rules and regulations.
Hi I'm a member of the Dutch diaspora. here

Actually "je ogen zijn groter dan je maag" the English translation was spot on

New Threads

Top Bottom