• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Ancient Nerd Who's Brand-New To All This

Kavigant

Good Boy
V.I.P Member
Hey everyone.

I’m Frax. I’m an older man who has had a constellation of “weirdnesses” for my entire life. Over the course of last 50 or so years, I’ve accumulated various diagnoses (both official and unofficial) related to sensory processing and general sensitivity, etc. In August of this year, I learned about ASD1 for the first time in my life and was shocked at how much explanatory power it seemed to provide for my life experiences. Rather than having half a dozen things "wrong" with me, perhaps the Law of Parsimony is right and I instead have one diagnosis to rule them all.

I am now seeking official diagnosis, though I’m concerned that fifty years of masters-level masking and camouflaging might interfere with my diagnosis. We’ll see.

I have already asked some dumb questions here and will likely ask more in the future. I’m still in the information-gather stage and will be asking you all endless variations of the old, “Is [x behavior] common among ND folks?” Please don’t think I’m trying to blame all of my challenges and problems on autism; it’s just that I’m feeling around the edges as I seek to define what I should and what I probably should not bring up with my health care team as I am being officially evaluated.

I also apologize in advance as I tend toward being verbose. As one of my past managers said, "No one has the time to read your absurdly-long emails!" <insert sad face>

My main special interests have been comparative theology, American comics books and science fiction/fantasy/horror pop culture of the 1970s-1990s, though when I was younger, I studied everything from ham radio to model trains to conlangs.

So far, I’ve really appreciated the civil atmosphere on this board and look forward to learning and sharing with you all.

1696623376430.png

Hi and welcome, Frax. Finding out about autism is an incredible journey for many of us, finally finding answers for why our lives were so difficult. I was only diagnosed 3 years ago at age 55 but I knew I was weird from a very early age. I didn't have an explanation for why I was weird but I learned to live with my own peculiarities and make the best of life.

Getting an official diagnosis in the US is expensive and often doesn't serve any real purpose. Understanding yourself better and learning ways to make your life a little easier would be much more beneficial to you and you can mostly only get that from other autistic people who have experiences similar to your own.

Please ask us as many questions as you like, most of us are happy to share our experiences. Sharing our own experiences helps us to better understand ourselves and if it helps someone else as well it adds a silver lining to our issues. And you're not the only one here that can be quite verbose, it's a common autistic trait. :)

Those of us on the spectrum communicate better with our own than with those that are neurotypical. I was aware that I reacted to the world differently than everyone around me at an early age and never questioned it. Sure people labeled me as strange but I rather enjoyed being different. It did cause friction at times, but I never held onto any suggestion that it was my fault.

I grew up through the golden age of science fiction and frequented specialty book shops which is where I acquired a social circle that shared my fascination with science fiction, horror, and fantasy. I have a lot of history there and even knew some big names in sci-fi of the time as a result.

Welcome to our safe harbor, where you will find many avenues for exploration and a wealth of people that accept you for who you are.

Hey everyone.

I’m Frax. I’m an older man who has had a constellation of “weirdnesses” for my entire life. Over the course of last 50 or so years, I’ve accumulated various diagnoses (both official and unofficial) related to sensory processing and general sensitivity, etc. In August of this year, I learned about ASD1 for the first time in my life and was shocked at how much explanatory power it seemed to provide for my life experiences. Rather than having half a dozen things "wrong" with me, perhaps the Law of Parsimony is right and I instead have one diagnosis to rule them all.

I am now seeking official diagnosis, though I’m concerned that fifty years of masters-level masking and camouflaging might interfere with my diagnosis. We’ll see.

I have already asked some dumb questions here and will likely ask more in the future. I’m still in the information-gather stage and will be asking you all endless variations of the old, “Is [x behavior] common among ND folks?” Please don’t think I’m trying to blame all of my challenges and problems on autism; it’s just that I’m feeling around the edges as I seek to define what I should and what I probably should not bring up with my health care team as I am being officially evaluated.

I also apologize in advance as I tend toward being verbose. As one of my past managers said, "No one has the time to read your absurdly-long emails!" <insert sad face>

My main special interests have been comparative theology, American comics books and science fiction/fantasy/horror pop culture of the 1970s-1990s, though when I was younger, I studied everything from ham radio to model trains to conlangs.

So far, I’ve really appreciated the civil atmosphere on this board and look forward to learning and sharing with you all.
Conlangs? Contemporary Languages? Contentious Langmeiers?
?

Conlangs is short for it, I see.
Do you want to list some?
Im curious.
Languages can be constructed for many reasons: as an alternative language meant to facilitate communication across cultures, as an artistic or philosophical exercise, for fictional environments such as books or movies, etc.

Some constructed languages:
Esperanto
Volapuk
Sindarin
Lojban
toki pona
Ithkuil
Klingon
Na'vi

... plus many more.

I think this would also include computer programming languages.
So...... is that a no? Or is it too challenging? Annoying?
I would like to be educated.
But its okay if not.
I dont want to force anyone or making things uncomfortable.

So...... is that a no? Or is it too challenging? Annoying?
I don't understand the question here. I've dabbled in computer programming for most of my life and watched as new languages have been created.

I think this would also include computer programming languages.
Interesting point, but I've never seen computer programming languages listed as conlangs.
I think that it depends on the purpose of the constructed language. Most conlangs are meant as a means for humans communicating with other humans, while programming languages are meant as tools to make computers perform complicated tasks.

Languages can be constructed for many reasons: as an alternative language meant to facilitate communication across cultures, as an artistic or philosophical exercise, for fictional environments such as books or movies, etc.

Some constructed languages:
Esperanto
Volapuk
Sindarin
Lojban
toki pona
Ithkuil
Klingon
Na'vi

... plus many more.
Ohhh, hell yeah.
what brought you into that field?