• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Am I really an Aspie if.......

Aspieistj

I know much is made about Temple Grandin thinking in pictures but I never really thought much about it until I had a sudden epiphany today. I am 71 and was already old when personal computers became common. I would never have had an interest in having one except for the fact that I am a "professional student" and was constantly taking courses. I have earned 2 BS and 2 MS degrees and really enjoyed gathering all that learning. When the university library replaced its old fashioned card catalog with a data base I was forced into learning something about personal computers. I was at a total loss trying to use the library computer and terrified. I spoke to a PhD in the communications department and was steered into ordering a Zenith EZ PC. It was an 8086 or 8088. Other computer screens were either orange or green but the Zenith had a white screen and I preferred it. It came with several spiral bound books of instructions and used only DOS. No Windows yet! I was able to look up anything I wanted to do in the manuals and it didn't seem odd to me to have to remember the various keyboard codes to get a desired action. My only motivation was to be able to function on the library's computer data base and produce neat (dot matrix) prints of papers and even my thesis. I had no idea I would ever want to go on line. However, my favorite prof had a Mac and she praised it constantly. She made the class meet in the computer lab and she talked us through going online there. I soon realized I had to become computer literate if I wanted to compete for really good grades. I eventually graduated to a color monitor Windows system computer and stumbled through searching the net, email, and exploring the world via this electronic brain. I was OK managing my DOS computer because of the manuals and the early Windows machine had several simple and illustrated manuals. If I could see it in a book I could learn how to do it on my computer. Unfortunately, the use of computers exploded and many people were able to intuitively learn their way around the Windows platform. I couldn't then, and have since never been able to intuit anything!!!!! For a few years the Dummy books and many other explanations regarding how to use Windows were very popular, but soon manufacturers ceased including detailed "how to" instructions. Most people intuitively figured out how to use their computers. I quickly began calling myself Computer Dyslexic and even used this description as a screen name.

Now, the Autism spectrum component. I was lying on my bed feeling annoyed because I can't find a paper copy of any Dummy style book to help me to learn to use my new Kindle Fire DXL 7. I bought it because I am about to go on vacation and want to be able to pick up my email and search the web while I am gone. Over the years, I had a laptop and then a netbook to take on vacation but both are old and cranky now and I wanted to replace my Kindle Reader, so I got the Fire. I knew I would have problems learning how to use it but I really expected to find a paper copy of a manual to help me. However, the self help guides to the Fire are offered in Kindle format!!!! I have acquired three guides specific to the Fire's use but they are all in Kindle format and must be read on either my Fire of my original Kindle. I MUST find a paper book of instructions and illustrations if I am to learn how to use the Fire. I have another problem--I can't learn from most tutors because they quickly become frustrated with my inability to grasp various tasks and they just grab the keyboard or mouse and bring up the information on the screen. I absolutely have to master all the steps required to get this information by actually typing or mousing it into the computer myself. I am definitely unable to think in pictures. I need print and illustrations to look at and digest before I catch on, or an extremely patient and skilled tutor. I am certain there are other people who experience this learning disability. I am not dyslexic regarding learning prior to the development of personal computers and smart phones. (I can barely dial 911 on a cell phone and have never sent a text in my life. I carry a simple cell phone only for emergency use.) I have a very real need to find a tangible paper book of instructions regarding personal computer use and I would be pleased if I could utilize some of the many benefits that cell phones offer. I am determined and desperate to master using my Kindle Fire. For my Asperger and Autistic friends, am I unique or do others on the spectrum also have problems like mine?

Hi Aspieistj. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that you are an aspie. In my opinion, everyone possess a trait or 2 that is in the autistic spectrum, and they would not be considered an aspie. It could be just a preference that you like to do things. If you are really curious, you can probably get a preliminary test here: Aspergers Adult AQ Test Quiz Online: Autism Spectrum Quotient

Hope my 2 cents help a little. :)

Hi Aspieistj. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that you are an aspie. In my opinion, everyone possess a trait or 2 that is in the autistic spectrum, and they would not be considered an aspie. It could be just a preference that you like to do things. If you are really curious, you can probably get a preliminary test here: Aspergers Adult AQ Test Quiz Online: Autism Spectrum Quotient

Hope my 2 cents help a little. :)

I agree 100% with asman that the difficulties that you describe do not automatically identify you as being on the spectrum. Take the test, it is quite accurate.

In fact I can claim first hand applicable experience to support that statement. My wife, who is solidly NT and certainly not autistic, has the exact same difficulties with computers, tablets, smart phones and appliances.

Now for the bad news. I am quite capable with electronics and have tried many times, way more times than I care to count or remember, to instruct her or at least elevate her level of competence, with nothing more than very limited success. I have concluded that the logic of electronics is a blind spot in her skill set and I have no idea how to rectify the situation.

Maybe I missed something, but I don't think he was actually asking for diagnosis based on this, but rather if other aspies have similar issues.

I don't think its an aspie trait per se as many aspies are very tech literate. But being nonsavvy doesn't mean you're not either! I do find it annoying that a lot of gadgets don't come with manuals now. It was a few years of frustation before I found the undo on my iPhone! Hardly intuitive!
For myself, I do find sometimes mindset can make a difference. If I believe it is too hard to learn something, I will get confused. But if I can relax, and explore by myself, I'll often pick things up fast.

I agree with Zurb. Aspieistj isn't literally asking if we think she is an Aspie. She's been a member here for quite a while and identifies as being on the spectrum.

Not to put words in Aspieistj's mouth, but I suspect the subject of the thread was referring to the common stereotype of Aspies as very tech-literate, as zurb noted. Aspieistj is saying this definitely doesn't apply to her, so the thread title was meant to be ironic.

I'm one of the "intuitive" ones when it comes to most technology, but when reading manuals (and even long articles) I strongly prefer having a hard copy. I've always assumed this is partially because of my age (45). I had already reached adulthood well before PCs were ubiquitous and many years before e-readers existed at all. Old habits die very hard with me.

I've never responded well to tutors or verbal instructions, either. I can listen as hard as I want but it goes in one ear, out the other, and is gone. Most of the time other people's tutelage doesn't work for me anyway. I almost invariably have to find my own methods to learn anything, or else find written (paper! :p) instructions that I can review as many times as it takes for things to sink in. Illustrations and diagrams? Awesome!

Aspieistj is an RN so she probably knows this, but others may benefit from the following:

As we age, we experience a gradual decline in "fluid intelligence" (FI), which is basically the kind of intelligence we use for learning new systems with few-to-no similarities to something else we already understand. This decline also affects our ability to adapt to changes in systems with which we are previously familiar. FI peaks in adolescence, stays relatively stable for a while, then begins a progressive decline after age 35 or so. This explains why many mature adults are slow to learn new technologies. If Aspieistj has always had a hard time learning computers and computerized gadgets, it will only get harder from here.

On the upside, FI has a counterpart, "crystallized intelligence" (CI), which involves knowledge gained from experiences and learning. Barring brain illness or injury, CI continues to increase throughout our lives. :)

I had a similar problem when Microsoft screwed up their Office suite. I'm used to being able to read and figure out programs. A bunch of shiny buttons and complete lack of menus is not a very user-friendly layout. I'm especially clueless with those irritating iPads and their army of clones because you can't hover or right-click on those either to further explore an item before you open it. Can't see on the freakin' things either, it's like being given a map and told to plan your route, but on top of the map is a piece of cardboard with a tiny little square cut out of it. I do have an ereader for books to read for pleasure like the classics and fantasy, but when I'm learning something I need a REAL book so I can hold several pages open at once while I research.

I don't do well with instructors because they won't shut up. I do terrible with verbal learning. If I can read it, do it, and study it, then I can learn it. Somebody flappin' their gums only makes the situation worse.

Wow! Lots of interesting input. I AM an Aspie and I was being sarcastic. I have always been a very good student with the exception of the point at which arithmetic becomes math. I didn't encounter algebra until the 9th grade and I was in real trouble almost from the beginning. I was so frustrated I developed a math block and avoided any higher math courses. I became a public school music teacher and wasn't required to take any difficult math courses in order to graduate and become certified. Years later, when I decided I wanted to become an RN I had to take chemistry and the math involved almost killed me. I actually signed up for the easiest level of college math to help me survive chemistry. So, my academic skills are not equally good in all areas. When I finally encountered personal computers I had a similar struggle and that is when I began to describe myself as Computerdyslexic. I mastered enough to use the computerized college libraries and turn out decent theses. Then came cell phones and I was again lost. I have very little need to master cell phones because I am not very social and would never be hooked on social media and chatting on my cell while grocery shopping. However, I will always want a modern PC and the decline in manuals has made it difficult for me to take advantage of the newest gadgets. I have a need to learn to use a tablet and that brought me to lamenting here regarding my dismal ability to intuit the latest computer technology. I am grateful to "kestrel" for the URL and have found a good old fashioned Dummy book. I think I will be able to learn enough with it's help to master the kindle Fire and take it on vacation with me to keep in touch with email and forums. I am interested in knowing if my block against learning from tutoring and preferring a real instruction manual is something other Aspies experience.

I do not think in pictures. But that is why aspergers is called: on the spectrum.

I am by no means a computer wiz, but I can get around fast and learn fast and some even ask me to help them.

Oh and do not describe people in colours, but I LOVE colours and feel that they are a part of who we are and can change our moods for the positive or negative. You RARELY would see me in dark colours, accept winter time.

Most aspie traits manifest themselves when we are in social situations. I am terrible even now, at 45. I can cope with a small group of one's I feel ok around, but more than 10 and I go into panic mode and shut down. I hate it, because I want to join in and smile and laugh and enjoy goofy photos, but I shrink back in abject fear.

My life is on aspiecentral, where I feel at home. It is so good to "meet" ones who are like me, when I have always felt set apart from others. I still flounder with what to say and when to say and still not quite sure with how to make friends. I just do not understand the formula. One to one, I am absolutely ok with and the person sees a happy and relaxed me. But add one more and I am lost.

I get the impression I have digressed hugely here lol

I get you about paper. We rely too much on technology. As it happens, look out for a thread I am about to post.

Wow! Lots of interesting input. I AM an Aspie and I was being sarcastic. I have always been a very good student with the exception of the point at which arithmetic becomes math. I didn't encounter algebra until the 9th grade and I was in real trouble almost from the beginning. I was so frustrated I developed a math block and avoided any higher math courses. I became a public school music teacher and wasn't required to take any difficult math courses in order to graduate and become certified. Years later, when I decided I wanted to become an RN I had to take chemistry and the math involved almost killed me. I actually signed up for the easiest level of college math to help me survive chemistry. So, my academic skills are not equally good in all areas. When I finally encountered personal computers I had a similar struggle and that is when I began to describe myself as Computerdyslexic. I mastered enough to use the computerized college libraries and turn out decent theses. Then came cell phones and I was again lost. I have very little need to master cell phones because I am not very social and would never be hooked on social media and chatting on my cell while grocery shopping. However, I will always want a modern PC and the decline in manuals has made it difficult for me to take advantage of the newest gadgets. I have a need to learn to use a tablet and that brought me to lamenting here regarding my dismal ability to intuit the latest computer technology. I am grateful to "kestrel" for the URL and have found a good old fashioned Dummy book. I think I will be able to learn enough with it's help to master the kindle Fire and take it on vacation with me to keep in touch with email and forums. I am interested in knowing if my block against learning from tutoring and preferring a real instruction manual is something other Aspies experience.

I was brought up in the 70s and 80s before computers became a household item, my family never had one and so I didn't learn to use one until a lot later. In fact, I didn't have my own computer until about 2005, partly due to financial considerations and partly due to the fact that I have a tendency to resist anything that becomes really popular and hyped up - so I didn't immediately go out and buy a mobile phone either. But actually, I can learn how to use new technology fairly quickly, and I taught myself how to use a computer, mainly through trail and error, but also quite simply googling things and looking for solutions. However, I'm a visual thinker too, and I get extremely frustrated when things randomly go wrong with my PC. I say randomly, because while intellectually I know that it's not random and that there's a reason for their going wrong, I can't see inside the computer to see what's broken, and the problem seems random to my perspective. This is the difference between electronic devices and mechanical ones - with the mechanical one you can see what's broken and fix it, with the electronic one you can't, I don't have the in-depth expertise knowledge to know what's wrong with it, so I can only guess at what might be wrong. Through the years I've built up a mental database of problems and possible solutions, but I don't know everything and new problems keep cropping up all the time.

It's certainly not true that all aspies are technology experts - aspies have always been around but computers and other electronic devices haven't - so how did those early aspies spend their time? They were deep thinkers, writers, philosophers, engineers, farmers, etc. I don't see anything in the diagnostic criteria that says "must be PC expert". People all have different styles of thinking, be they ASD or NT, some are visual thinkers, others are mathematical thinkers, others verbal, etc. As a visual thinker, I always excelled at geometry and sucked at algebra, or abstract thinking in general.

One thing I've noticed relevant to this thread is that many people, especially younger people, both NT and ASD, are heavily into video games. That's one thing that I've never gotten into. I feel like I'm completely the odd one out on that one - in fact, I have very little knowledge of current pop culture in general. I focus on certain things, and video games just aren't one of those things.

Last edited:
I was brought up in the 70s and 80s before computers became a household item, my family never had one and so I didn't learn to use one until a lot later. In fact, I didn't have my own computer until about 2005, partly due to financial considerations and partly due to the fact that I have a tendency to resist anything that becomes really popular and hyped up - so I didn't immediately go out and buy a mobile phone either. But actually, I can learn how to use new technology fairly quickly, and I taught myself how to use a computer, mainly through trail and error, but also quite simply googling things and looking for solutions. However, I'm a visual thinker too, and I get extremely frustrated when things randomly go wrong with my PC. I say randomly, because while intellectually I know that it's not random and that there's a reason for their going wrong, I can't see inside the computer to see what's broken, and the problem seems random to my perspective. This is the difference between electronic devices and mechanical ones - with the mechanical one you can see what's broken and fix it, with the electronic one you can't, I don't have the in-depth expertise knowledge to know what's wrong with it, so I can only guess at what might be wrong. Through the years I've built up a mental database of problems and possible solutions, but I don't know everything and new problems keep cropping up all the time.

It's certainly not true that all aspies are technology experts - aspies have always been around but computers and other electronic devices haven't - so how did those early aspies spend their time? They were deep thinkers, writers, philosophers, engineers, farmers, etc. I don't see anything in the diagnostic criteria that says "must be PC expert". People all have different styles of thinking, be they ASD or NT, some are visual thinkers, others are mathematical thinkers, others verbal, etc. As a visual thinker, I always excelled at geometry and sucked at algebra, or abstract thinking in general.

One thing I've noticed relevant to this thread is that many people, especially younger people, both NT and ASD, are heavily into video games. That's one thing that I've never gotten into. I feel like I'm completely the odd one out on that one - in fact, I have very little knowledge of current pop culture in general. I focus on certain things, and video games just aren't one of those things.

Hehe shouldn't you be renamed Suzanne or me renamed: pregster? I am so like you it is astonishing lol I have always resisted things that gain popularity and it took my husband, years after mobile phones came into existence that I actually saw his reasoning on why I should own a mobile phone. We moved country and I can't drive ( hopefully tomorrow, that will change) and so, I was lost and I have to say, I love my phone lol

As for computer games. I go in to "obsession" mode with games that are spot the difference or search a room for hidden objects etc. But those obsessions do not last. So no, you are not the odd one out. For I have not played a game for about 4 month's now; obsessed with cross stitching lol

Oh and how I get you with the computer going wrong. And like you, years of this happening, I now know how to solve some issues. I can even advise others too, but as for knowing the terminology, I get confused.

I think it is as you say that those who grew up with computers etc, will automatically have an affiliation with them, but turn that around and I bet we could teach them a thing or two about survival?!!!

I can't imagine wasting my time on computer games--especially if they are violent. I have never played one but my kids loved them when they were in their teens. However, I can spend forever playing plain, old, simple Solitaire online. I also enjoy doing crossword puzzles online.

Even though I'm no youngster I have (almost) always worked at programming computers & I still do and really enjoy it. However I totally understand aspieistj about the trouble with verbal learning. When someone is explaining how to do something it's like the words are being thrown up in front of me and they just float away randomly like a handful of feathers. I can do better if I look-away, close my eyes and concentrate, but I very much prefer to be reading the material (on screen is ok) and doing examples.

Hehe shouldn't you be renamed Suzanne or me renamed: pregster? I am so like you it is astonishing lol I have always resisted things that gain popularity and it took my husband, years after mobile phones came into existence that I actually saw his reasoning on why I should own a mobile phone. We moved country and I can't drive ( hopefully tomorrow, that will change) and so, I was lost and I have to say, I love my phone lol

As for computer games. I go in to "obsession" mode with games that are spot the difference or search a room for hidden objects etc. But those obsessions do not last. So no, you are not the odd one out. For I have not played a game for about 4 month's now; obsessed with cross stitching lol

Oh and how I get you with the computer going wrong. And like you, years of this happening, I now know how to solve some issues. I can even advise others too, but as for knowing the terminology, I get confused.

I think it is as you say that those who grew up with computers etc, will automatically have an affiliation with them, but turn that around and I bet we could teach them a thing or two about survival?!!!

Yes, we do indeed seem to have a lot in common :)

I have a mobile, but don't use it a lot. I find the touchscreen hard to use because the touchpad is small and sensitive and I have clumsy fingers, and the screen is way too small to be practical for much more than phoning, taking pictures or writing the odd short SMS - I certainly wouldn't use it for the internet or writing emails.

Good luck with the driving! That's another thing that I was a bit late to learn (well, most people start learning as soon as they reach the legal age, but I didn't start until I was about 20 - not a huge gap, but most of my peers had learnt by then).

Yes, we do indeed seem to have a lot in common :)

I have a mobile, but don't use it a lot. I find the touchscreen hard to use because the touchpad is small and sensitive and I have clumsy fingers, and the screen is way too small to be practical for much more than phoning, taking pictures or writing the odd short SMS - I certainly wouldn't use it for the internet or writing emails.

Good luck with the driving! That's another thing that I was a bit late to learn (well, most people start learning as soon as they reach the legal age, but I didn't start until I was about 20 - not a huge gap, but most of my peers had learnt by then).

The only touch screen I own is my tablet. My mobile phone is really basic in the range of Nokia. A qwerty keyboard. I have small hands but really clumsy fingers. But my tablet has taught me how to use a touch screen and so, if I do get another phone, then I will be ok with the touch screen, because I guess that is all will they be selling. It is funny though, because after a bit of time using my tablet, when I use my laptop, I find myself touching the screen and then laugh at my silliness.

Wow! Lots of interesting input. I AM an Aspie and I was being sarcastic. I have always been a very good student with the exception of the point at which arithmetic becomes math. I didn't encounter algebra until the 9th grade and I was in real trouble almost from the beginning. I was so frustrated I developed a math block and avoided any higher math courses.
I didn't get along with math until I was much older. Algebra was okay, trigonometry was awful. It was my belief that only the lazy or stupid didn't solve things by hand, and my book wanted me to do trig on a calculator without telling me how to actually solve it. Algebra often got on my nerves because none of my problems got solved anymore, they were just left a few steps from the answer at something ridiculous like 2x+3.

I can't imagine wasting my time on computer games--especially if they are violent. I have never played one but my kids loved them when they were in their teens. However, I can spend forever playing plain, old, simple Solitaire online. I also enjoy doing crossword puzzles online.
Not me! =)

I like my puzzle games and card games, and some combat strategy games like Battleship or Age of Empires. I really like more open-world role playing games and sandbox games like Fable and Minecraft. It's fun to explore, look at the world they've made, interact with the people and see what odd things they say, and playing Minecraft on the PC with a bunch of user-made add-ons is really fun because sometimes you never know what you're going to find and discover. One thing I loved when my husband and his cousin were really into Minecraft was the three of us going to the same server and working together. My husband was the resource gatherer, his cousin maintained our home base and built all sorts of machines to keep us stocked and well defended. I was the explorer to go out and find new resources and things to help us. We made an awesome team.

I don't think that video games are necessarily a waste of time; since so many people play them, they must be getting something out of them. Some of them involve a high degree of stategy and a certain amount of intelligence, and a couple of simulation games I've tried were good. I agree with you about the violence though - I don't like violence for the sake of violence, it does nothing for me and I find it pointless.

I didn't get along with math until I was much older. Algebra was okay, trigonometry was awful. It was my belief that only the lazy or stupid didn't solve things by hand, and my book wanted me to do trig on a calculator without telling me how to actually solve it. Algebra often got on my nerves because none of my problems got solved anymore, they were just left a few steps from the answer at something ridiculous like 2x+3.

Not me! =)

I like my puzzle games and card games, and some combat strategy games like Battleship or Age of Empires. I really like more open-world role playing games and sandbox games like Fable and Minecraft. It's fun to explore, look at the world they've made, interact with the people and see what odd things they say, and playing Minecraft on the PC with a bunch of user-made add-ons is really fun because sometimes you never know what you're going to find and discover. One thing I loved when my husband and his cousin were really into Minecraft was the three of us going to the same server and working together. My husband was the resource gatherer, his cousin maintained our home base and built all sorts of machines to keep us stocked and well defended. I was the explorer to go out and find new resources and things to help us. We made an awesome team.

I've thought about trying out one or two video games, but I don't know if they would be suitable for me. I like the idea of Minecraft because I've heard that it's an imaginative, creative game. I might enjoy that. But I'm not sure I could do online interactive games or role playing games, because I wouldn't know how to interact with the other online players. I'd be just such a noob, a socially awkward 44 year old without a clue what I'm doing. I don't know if I'd fit in. I was never a fan of role-playing games in real life, how would it be different online, especially given the social aspect that many such games have? How are such newbies received by the gaming community? I can imagine myself being ridiculed or trolled if I tried such a thing, but I may be wrong, I don't know. I also wouldn't like to compete against others. I think I would enjoy simulation games, such as aircraft simulators, or one I've heard about where you park cars, or World Rally Championship. I'd like a game where one acquires knowledge, or a skill, or where one constructs and creates things.

?..I like my puzzle games and card games, and some combat strategy games like Battleship or Age of Empires. I really like more open-world role playing games and sandbox games like Fable and Minecraft. It's fun to explore, look at the world they've made, interact with the people and see what odd things they say, and playing Minecraft on the PC with a bunch of user-made add-ons is really fun because sometimes you never know what you're going to find and discover. One thing I loved when my husband and his cousin were really into Minecraft was the three of us going to the same server and working together. My husband was the resource gatherer, his cousin maintained our home base and built all sorts of machines to keep us stocked and well defended. I was the explorer to go out and find new resources and things to help us. We made an awesome team.
...minecraft :) :sunflower::cow::rooster::pig::bread::maize:

I've thought about trying out one or two video games, but I don't know if they would be suitable for me. I like the idea of Minecraft because I've heard that it's an imaginative, creative game. I might enjoy that. But I'm not sure I could do online interactive games or role playing games, because I wouldn't know how to interact with the other online players. I'd be just such a noob, a socially awkward 44 year old without a clue what I'm doing. I don't know if I'd fit in. I was never a fan of role-playing games in real life, how would it be different online, especially given the social aspect that many such games have? How are such newbies received by the gaming community? I can imagine myself being ridiculed or trolled if I tried such a thing, but I may be wrong, I don't know. I also wouldn't like to compete against others. I think I would enjoy simulation games, such as aircraft simulators, or one I've heard about where you park cars, or World Rally Championship. I'd like a game where one acquires knowledge, or a skill, or where one constructs and creates things.
One of the many beauties of Minecraft, it's still one of the games that allows you to play offline and single! And you can still download as many cool modpacks for your computer as you want without having to go to a server. Most of the servers I did join on were less about competing and more about huddling together in a hole and hoping dawn comes soon so most of the monsters will go away and not eat you. :p

When I was playing World of Warcraft, people were mostly impatient, and they ignore you a lot really. There are the odd buttholes that like to kill low-levels because they're sadistic twerps like that, but they don't really mess with you. If you do something that is a mandatory group run, like a raid or heist or whatever they call the group run of the game you're playing, that's when you'll probably encounter the impatient ones who've played it a million times and don't care if you want to read and experience the scenes.

One of the many beauties of Minecraft, it's still one of the games that allows you to play offline and single! And you can still download as many cool modpacks for your computer as you want without having to go to a server. Most of the servers I did join on were less about competing and more about huddling together in a hole and hoping dawn comes soon so most of the monsters will go away and not eat you. :p

When I was playing World of Warcraft, people were mostly impatient, and they ignore you a lot really. There are the odd buttholes that like to kill low-levels because they're sadistic twerps like that, but they don't really mess with you. If you do something that is a mandatory group run, like a raid or heist or whatever they call the group run of the game you're playing, that's when you'll probably encounter the impatient ones who've played it a million times and don't care if you want to read and experience the scenes.
Thank you for replying - Minecraft appeals to me a lot more that World of Warcraft, though I don't like the idea that some monster could come along and destroy my work, or even eat me!

New Threads

Top Bottom