• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

aggressive eye contact

Has anyone here had someone you kind of know always staring at you without smiling when they see you? There's this person I've been having smileless staring contests with whenever we see each other, and while they haven't happened often enough to bother me, they have happened enough that I notice. Once, I decided to break the silence and said hi, and a few seconds passed by before he responded. (Was he taken aback that he couldn't respond right away? Or was there a more convoluted reason for this?)

He's an outgoing/fast-talking kind of guy I'm not even interested in being friends with, but I'm curious about his reasons. Is he staring because he knows what I'm all about? Does he maybe just hate me? But how could anyone hate someone they don't even know?

Thoughts?

That happens to me with a person, an acquaintance in this town. I'm fairly certain it is a mixture of dislike, aggression and the person testing to see what response results. I've decided to avoid them in the future not because I'm scared of them but I don't care to engage in what seems to be an increasingly negative interaction.

I became known for using the "creep stare" for awhile in my life. At the time I had no idea about aspergers and someone had told me to be a better communicator I needed to try to make eye contact with people because it's the window to their souls. So I would try to make eye contact and what resulted was an emotionless, unblinkinging stare. It became a joke eventually because my friends thought I was doing it to be funny. I was always considered to be intimating and unapproachable and they figured it was just a defense mechanism I used to use to keep people away from me and now I was just doing it to poke fun at myself. I eventually went back to limited eye contact and the "joke" faded from people's memory.

New Threads

Top Bottom