• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Age differences

Sometimes going with our instincts can lead to a lifetime of "What if I had?" As long as it doesn't cause pain, though, I actually like pondering what could have been. I bet it's often better than the memory of an actual attempt would be.

If I am reading this right, you are saying that our (Aspies) instincts tend towards passing up opportunities, out of fear, hewing to our routines, dislike of change, trouble with letting others in, or outright failure to communicate. That has certainly been the case with me, for all of the above reasons at one time or another.

I've spent years pleasantly pondering the what if's, not just in matters of love, but of employment opportunities, chances to move somewhere else, buying a very cool car at a steal of a deal, following one of my many other interests to the point of earning a living with them. In some cases, my imagination is definitely much better than what would have transpired, in others I feel I truly missed a chance of a lifetime. Still, the creative memories as I like to call them, can be as entertaining as a favorite old film or book.

And I hope I wasn't thought of as one of those blasted "Bi-curious" gapers, but most likely so.

On the Inside, would you mind if I messaged you privately to respond to some of this?
Please do, if it is still fresh. I was out of town for a couple of days.

That's how I feel about my husband. Any "above and beyond the call of duty" work put in to him is worth it because he's special to me. :)

I wonder, would Aspies be good in nursing fields and stuff? A lot of may not be good with words or facial expressions, but our actions can clearly show meticulous care and concern.

I always wonder about people whose partners become very ill or disabled in accidents (or whatever) and they bail on them. I can understand that some people might not be able to handle anything so huge that wasn't in The Plan, but if you really love someone, why should they be different than a child you had together? How many of those people would give up a disabled baby, or put their ten year old up for adoption if they broke their neck, or got cancer? There must be some argument I don't understand. I'm open to hearing it and may even accept it as valid, but for me, "Till death do us part" has no loophole for physical conditions other than final demise.

My sister had three self-identified Aspies in her nursing school class. They all did exceptionally well in their classwork and clinical procedures. She doesn't know about how they rated for bedside manner, but she said they all seemed like they were very nice to the patients.

If I am reading this right, you are saying that our (Aspies) instincts tend towards passing up opportunities, out of fear, hewing to our routines, dislike of change, trouble with letting others in, or outright failure to communicate. That has certainly been the case with me, for all of the above reasons at one time or another.

I was thinking "our" as in all of us, Aspie or NT, but it could be especially true for Aspies. We have the ingredients you listed plus a particularly strong tendency to ruminate, review exhaustively, and play out all possible scenarios in our heads. We're also pretty indecisive. Don't we sound great?! :D

I've spent years pleasantly pondering the what if's, not just in matters of love, but of employment opportunities, chances to move somewhere else, buying a very cool car at a steal of a deal, following one of my many other interests to the point of earning a living with them. In some cases, my imagination is definitely much better than what would have transpired, in others I feel I truly missed a chance of a lifetime. Still, the creative memories as I like to call them, can be as entertaining as a favorite old film or book.

And I hope I wasn't thought of as one of those blasted "Bi-curious" gapers, but most likely so.

I usually lean more towards fantasizing about "what could be" than "what could have been", now that I really think about it. I guess in my case some of that is because of the planning aspect. I love to plan things, often even more than to execute them. Some of it may also be that I might find myself having a lot of regrets if I let myself actively engage with missed opportunities long after the fact. I would rather not be able to see the whole volume of them. Some are fun to wonder about, though.

I "ran away from home" to join the touring music industry when I was a teenager, but I was pretty dependent on the guy I ran away with, so I left the business not long after we split up. The following years into my thirties were pretty humdrum, work-wise, so I used to imagine where I might have gone with that and who else I might have worked with a lot (based on their connections to artists/groups I did). I eventually outgrew it, but then when I got back into the PA business with actors a few years ago, of course I wanted to fill in the intervening years with those fantasies all over again. I think that kind of daydreaming is only natural. If it ever starts to make me sad or angry with myself, I change the channel and think of something else. If I start to find myself spending more time fantasizing than doing anything to move myself forward in real life, I change the channel then, too. I prefer to keep my imagining in moderation. I'm not really what you'd call a "dreamer" type of person. I'm more reflective and curious than anything.

I probably sounded like I was very experienced of the "Bi-Curious" in my other post. I'm actually not at all. Most of what I hear about experimenters comes from gay people I know (mostly men). Really, though, somebody has to give your your first break to try things out and see if you fit. It's like a kid right out of college; somebody needs to be their first employer. It's a risk, yes. So be careful, but don't bust on people for wanting to investigate an interest.

I've wondered, speaking of kids right out of college: Nadador, you said your lad is an Evangelical Lutheran and can't be exposed. Are you sure he's actually gay/bi, or could he be uncertain and experimenting? That's a factor to consider, too, if you didn't dig into that previously.

I usually lean more towards fantasizing about "what could be" than "what could have been", now that I really think about it. I guess in my case some of that is because of the planning aspect. I love to plan things, often even more than to execute them.

I am the consummate dreamer, both day and night (I never have bad dreams, and a lot of them are better than most movies to me) and I used to have a better balance between what could be vs. what could have been. I think I have been sloshing around in the could-have-been backwater more since I was diagnosed. Looking at things with a different take, as well as pulling out of a very long funk. Luckily, or perhaps through my own hard work (it's OK to give yourself credit!!!) I have been getting ideas, looking to the future.

Wish I loved to plan. I like to be prepared, which takes planning on some level, but making real plans with time frames, order of action, clear objectives are a challenge for me.

Back to Age Differences. That would be one of the difficult aspects of a big age difference, "what could be" vs. "What could have been" Assuming that the youngster would be thinking more about what could happen. Then there is the old heaping helpings of advice the elder could dish out, as mentioned before. Sheesh. Don't think I could navigate through all of it, I'll stick to folks around my age. But I can see the allure, and will not deny a bit of "what could be" daydreaming about it.

Last edited:
I always wonder about people whose partners become very ill or disabled in accidents (or whatever) and they bail on them. I can understand that some people might not be able to handle anything so huge that wasn't in The Plan, but if you really love someone, why should they be different than a child you had together? How many of those people would give up a disabled baby, or put their ten year old up for adoption if they broke their neck, or got cancer? There must be some argument I don't understand. I'm open to hearing it and may even accept it as valid, but for me, "Till death do us part" has no loophole for physical conditions other than final demise.

My sister had three self-identified Aspies in her nursing school class. They all did exceptionally well in their classwork and clinical procedures. She doesn't know about how they rated for bedside manner, but she said they all seemed like they were very nice to the patients.
I don't understand it and I can't explain it beyond using unpleasant adjectives. My grand-uncle remarried after his wife passed away. His new wife was very devoted and loving, until old age took its toll and she bailed on him with plenty of nasty remarks. He's a really goofy and loyal guy, it's not like he was abusive or bad with money or anything. And his insurance was taking care of all the expenses, so it's not like that was a factor like in some really depressing photos from the Great Depression.

Aspie nurses do bring to mind at least a more honest bedside manner. If I was told something was going to hurt like the dickens and it turned out to be spot on or not so bad would be much better than being told it would being "a little discomfort" and then getting blindsided by pain.

Nadador, thanks for another interesting thread. I would have replied sooner but I've been seriously ill and am now just catching up on everything. I hope it isn't too late to add to the discussion.

You asked, "What experiences have you had of partners with significant age differences? What related problems did you find, if any? When and how did those problems come into play? Would you consider another partner with a gap?"

Around age 20, I had two relationships with much older men. One was 21 years my senior, the other 26 years senior. Looking back, I know that my attraction to these men was more an Aspie desire for acceptance than any kind of love. I was needy and infatuated and liked the attention, the money, and having someone who could take care of me, provide for me, almost like a father. I'm not proud of those relationships, but they have been valuable learning experiences. Several years later, I had a few brief relationships with guys about a decade older, and they had the same characteristics of the earlier ones: seeking acceptance and security, but no real affection on my part. Clearly I hadn't learnt my lesson yet. :D

The only relationship I've had with someone younger was a brief one with a girl about five years my junior. She was experimenting and I felt taken advantage of. :( there was a language gap, so that didn't help. :)

Regarding problems, I think that the problem of the men wishing to avoid serious attachment while I was too eager for it was the one that presented itself most obviously. I'm now almost the age those men were when I was with them and I can see things from a different perspective. By this age we have settled into habits and it can be hard to break those to accommodate someone new. I sure couldn't stay up all night talking (or whatever, ahem) these days, for example.

Interestingly, the three long term relationships I've had in my life, including with my current husband, have all been with people less a year apart in age. My husband and I met online 7 years ago, and discovered we had done the same course at uni, at the same time, had been in the same lectures, and knew the same people then, but we had never known each other. We had both been through unhappy marriages, both had similar mental health issues and history, liked many similar things, and very importantly, we were on the same wavelength. Similar values, and such. For me, knowing that we had been through similar experiences made it easier for me to feel a deeper attachment and mutual understanding. It was wonderful to find someone who seemed to see things the way I do. There are problems, to be sure, but we felt we were meant to meet when we did (and not earlier at uni) and still feel we are destined for each other. We finally got married this year (two kids later), and fate was a theme in our wedding vows. We know we're in it to the end. Forgive me for gushing...:blush:

You know, I really think it depends on the individuals within any given relationship. For some, an age difference works. Humanity is at an interesting point in its cultural development, in which technology has made almost unimaginable leaps and bounds and has left the generation gap seemingly even wider than ever before. This does pose a challenge to those not tech savvy, I suppose. My husband is a secondary school teacher and he often deplores his students' poor knowledge of cultural history but I think it's inevitable that we will reach a point at which relationships with greater age gaps will be unviable simply because of a language difference. :D

(As a side note, I miss going to the library and using index cards to find the books I wanted. No computers, no beeping, no wifi frying my brain. Ne the silence... Ah, memories... :pensive:)

"...we search for (unknowingly) the parent who had the least amount of interest (love) for us as children...the father... for example who was away working all the time

So, that's why I thought
Snape was so hot, huh?
Could be.

New Threads

Top Bottom