• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Affective Deficit Disorder

Ocean Swell

I believe this topic is termed correctly. Who has the experience of learning of their Autism from their relationship. I now comprehend that my lady has developed conditions associated with Affective or Affection Deficit Disorder because of the lack of sufficient emotional connection as a result of my autistic qualities. It is uncertain that we will remain together. How have you succeeded or failed to grow or end your relationships?

I think what you're referring to is called "Affective Deprivation Disorder" or "Cassandra Affective Deprivation Disorder".

"Coined by researcher Maxine Aston, AfDD was first applied to partners of adults with Asperger Syndrome, many of whom showed disturbing physical and psychological reactions to the lack of emotional reciprocity they were experiencing in their relationship. Maxine was later to broaden AfDD's applicability to include disorders other than Asperger's such as depression, eating disorders, posttraumatic stress disorder, personality disorder, and substance abuse disorder in which the same low emotional intelligence or alexithymia is a key relational factor."

Affective Deprivation Disorder

Last edited:
For me, a lack of affection and emotional reciprocity for my partner is a sign of depression. When I’m in a good state of mind, my boyfriend feels more loved.

New Threads

Top Bottom