• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Advice on job?

Bronwyn

My 1.5 year contract comes to a end this month and its going to leave me stuck. I have college education for TV and film and then another for Business IT. (UK college).
I have applied for loads of places and have been either denied or had nothing back. Its so annoying.
I dont have any Uni experience and I believe (well apparently according to everyone) thats my flaw. I really struggled mentally in college both times and 100% know I wouldn't be able to match university standards. There isn't much apprentice schemes at all.
I think id really love to be able to have a admin/receptionist type job. I am easy with people and im very friendly. I have never had a interview for a job because my boss knew me from family friends.
Its so annoying, especially as im being pushed by everyone in the family to go to uni. I openly said to them that id probably kill myself under the work pressure there. They never understand its so frustrating.

Another thing that sets me back sooo much... I cant drive

I have had over 70 hours... 2 different instructors... 2 years.
I believe that thats my dyspraxia. I like busses and trains so public transport isn't a issue.

Just wish businesses would take chances on me! Any advice?

Hi Bronwyn, sorry to hear that. What is your job? My sister trained to be a secretary, she has been one ever since. Don't worry about Uni,I never went either, it's not important anymore to have a degree, your experience in work counts more these days.
Do you have to drive? I don't and find buses and walking is enough.

Wow, when I was in my 20's and this was back in the early 90's, in the uk, I tried for work and was told that due to having no education ( not my fault), they would not give me a chance, so with a deep breath, I applied to do a degree in college and came away with a few exams and guess what? Experience was the popular theme and so, still no job.

So sad that today, it is pretty much the same.

Could you do an online university degree?

As for driving, what are your ares that stop you from passing? I do not have a licence either and when I had a chance to drive, it was ascertained that I would be a good driver, with practice, but using automatic, as I am really bad with multitasking and although my husband keeps saying that with practise I would improve; I actually do not agree!

Unless you really are no good at all on the road, then look at the areas you are struggling with. Is it not paying attention around you? Is it going too fast? Is it not retaining information on the actual driviing and so, you do not pay attention to what is happening on the road?

Not having a licence is severely disabling for me. I now live in France and it is just horrendeous. Whereas in the uk, despite social phobia, I could get around fairly easily.

My favourite mode of transport was trains.

I tried to find a job in the UK about 6 years ago, and found it just about impossible, nobody seemed to want to hire a 40-something former teacher who had live abroad for most of her life and had little experience of anything else except teaching. However, my older ND brother, who also doesn't drive, managed to find employment through sheer persistence - most people need to make many applications, even hundreds before they find a job, and it can take a long time - but persistence pays off in the end. Keep trying, don't give up hope!

Businesses want to hear what you have to offer them. It's pretty simple if you look at it from their perspective...

If you show that you understand the business, and that you are what the business wants then they will hire you. Presentation is also important. At one job I applied for I was sitting in the waiting room for applicants and there was this... hmm... how do I say this politely... super hot turbo babe also there. She wasn't just hot, she had a certain vibe. I knew I was not getting that job even before the interview, tough competition. She was what the business was looking for. All other jobs that I applied for and got an offer I knew in advance that I was getting the job. In the end I was terrible at all of them but it's all about how you present yourself and understanding the business.

Work experience doesn't matter. I've gotten hired at jobs that asked for preferably 5 years of experience in relevant industry even when I had none because I'm just such a passionate job applicant. They will fall in love with the idea of you as an employee without looking at any of the actual important metrics. Exceptions are usually things such as relevant education. You won't get hired for a job that requires skills you don't have, for instance. Your CV does need to be good to get your foot in the door. Even an awesome cover letter can't cover for a horrid CV, although you can fix the CV to barely adequate and then your cover letter can carry you through.

And all families are stupid like that. University is the holy grail for success. There are multiple roads to success and university usually isn't a part of it. If you know you won't be able to do stuff like calculus then it's just a waste of time and money.

Business IT seems like something that would be very in demand. Companies love anything with the word "Business" in front of it. Not sure what you want but something like SQL certification (Just learn on your own, master it, then take a quick certification exam and boom, cheap skill set that is extremely in demand) is worthwhile. A good combination of such skill sets will make you a hire for nearly every business and you'll always be guaranteed a job. But if you hate that kind of job... then it can't be helped and you need to find something else.

I wish you all the success in the future. If you have a great resume, good experience and a positive work history (To me businesses are looking for more of that these days) you should have no trouble finding work. Good luck.

I was career military and think it is a good match (contrary to what one might think) for some Aspies. Clear rules and social order (except after duty hours when people turn stupid). No decisions to make on what to wear. Everything provided. If careful when enlisting, you can get a good job, training and take college classes if you want off duty (paid for). No having to cook if you live on base. Travel opportunities (no guarentee on destinations). The list goes on.

And if you don't like the English Armed Forces, good news! The French Foreign Legion accepts women now!

These people look happy. The lady with the axe must be an axe murderer. I mean 'Pioneer'. Sort of like combat engineers. And after 3 years you can apply for French citizenship!

zzleg.jpg

But I am afraid the days of the really cool uniforms are gone now. :(

zzzlll.jpg

;)

Seriously, those are obstacles with school and driving. One thing to point out is that we are not always up to the challenge at the moment, at this age, but in time that can change. There was no way I wanted anything to do with school at 19. But at 22, I was ready. I started driving late, around 20. As far as Sec/Recep see if you can find some to talk to. Is there a certification or a specific training you might do to make a resume stronger. Now this part is just my opinion but I would go with a natural hair color for interviews. Many may be ok with today's rainbow styles, but many businesses still have more conservative views of professional appearence. What I am trying to say is that you will keep your options open to the widest extent.

I was career military and think it is a good match (contrary to what one might think) for some Aspies. Clear rules and social order (except after duty hours when people turn stupid). No decisions to make on what to wear. Everything provided. If careful when enlisting, you can get a good job, training and take college classes if you want off duty (paid for). No having to cook if you live on base. Travel opportunities (no guarentee on destinations). The list goes on.

And if you don't like the English Armed Forces, good news! The French Foreign Legion accepts women now!

These people look happy. The lady with the axe must be an axe murderer. I mean 'Pioneer'. Sort of like combat engineers. And after 3 years you can apply for French citizenship!

View attachment 45702

But I am afraid the days of the really cool uniforms are gone now. :(

View attachment 45703

;)

Seriously, those are obstacles with school and driving. One thing to point out is that we are not always up to the challenge at the moment, at this age, but in time that can change. There was no way I wanted anything to do with school at 19. But at 22, I was ready. I started driving late, around 20. As far as Sec/Recep see if you can find some to talk to. Is there a certification or a specific training you might do to make a resume stronger. Now this part is just my opinion but I would go with a natural hair color for interviews. Many may be ok with today's rainbow styles, but many businesses still have more conservative views of professional appearence. What I am trying to say is that you will keep your options open to the widest extent.

An army dreamer?

You are ex-air force? Where were you based?
Being a golf professional coach is one of the best jobs in the world, outside most of the day, well paid, my own boss, time off in the Winter for nice holidays. What's better than that?

I thought "army dreamer" meant a person who
was in the military, but had private thoughts of
things that weren't generally considered typical
in the day to day experience of army life.

Sort of like how Edgar Rice Burroughs entertained
himself with stories that he made up & wrote, although
his paid employment (day job) had nothing to do
with creative writing.

'Army dreamer' dreams of the Army, a fantasy life in the Legion or US Military. I myself nearly joined up with the British Marines but I chose a golf job, I get all romantic reminiscing at what might have been.

University doesn’t suit everyone, I didn’t go either but I’m doing ok. Have you thought about walking around to your local doctors, dentists, printers etc etc and giving them a copy of your CV? They might like someone who shows initiative and is proactively job hunting rather than just firing out loads of letters.

Also have you considered working for yourself? People start lots of small businesses from dog walking, doing nails, gardening services etc it’s whatever suits you. It might not be what you want to do long term but it could give you breathing space and get people off your back.

Have you given any thought to the construction industry? There is a huge shortage of females and there are often schemes aimed at encouraging women in, whether it be learning a trade or the paperwork/office side of things. Construction is a massive employer with an ever changing workforce. The days of overt sexism and wolf whistling have largely gone, male workers are more interested in making money than risking losing their job for a stupid comment or whistle off the scaffolding, I haven’t seen it happen for years.

The days of overt sexism and wolf whistling have largely gone, male workers are more interested in making money than risking losing their job for a stupid comment or whistle off the scaffolding, I haven’t seen it happen for years.

Are you trying hard enough?
High heels, a shorter skirt maybe?
As a 50 year old guy you shouldn't give up on this so easily.

Ahhh hahah! You know, I had to read this a few times before it clicked what you meant you cheeky monkey! :) It’s true though, sadly I’m past my prime now, not that I ever had a prime! :-(

I love your jokes, even if it takes me a while to get them sometimes, keep them coming and you are an invaluable asset on this forum, well I think so anyway. ;-)

I thought "army dreamer" meant a person who
was in the military, but had private thoughts of
things that weren't generally considered typical
in the day to day experience of army life.

Sort of like how Edgar Rice Burroughs entertained
himself with stories that he made up & wrote, although
his paid employment (day job) had nothing to do
with creative writing.

It's a Kate Moss song

I have pretty much the same problem, 22 years ago I had driving lessons for about 6 months until the instructor turned round and said I'd never pass a test in a manual transmission vehicle.

But the local Bus service is a joke and the Trams are on strike every 5 minutes at the moment due to a driver dispute over pay and conditions.

Thing is, I would willingly work out of Town, if it was somewhere I could get to without too much trouble or expense, such as up to the Ikea in Leeds for example, but realistically that would be a logistic nightmare, it only takes the morning carer being 10 minutes late to foul up the whole morning routine and that often happens because the Office don't give them travelling time between calls, for example the carer's expected to finish a call up Gleadless at 8 AM, and get to me at Netherthorpe for 8.15, it's at least half an hour in good traffic from up there.

Mr Allen, do not listen to just one ignorant so and so. If you want to pass you will, you can if it's your passion and dream. Give it another try.

There are a great many jobs that require a degree... and a great many that don't. If you are interested in the type of job that don't require a degree (and it sounds like you are) them going to uni would be a waste of time and money, and a completely unnescesary burden on you mental health.

It is very difficult to get a job these says, even with a degree, that's just how the job market is. That doesn't change for graduates, they're just competing against millions of other graduates for the tiny number of jobs suitable for their qualifications, or are turned down by employers for being 'over qualified'. Your family, if you are talking about older generations, probably have no true comprehension how hard the job market is since the economic crisis.

Have you been applying for the sort of jobs you are currently doing? As you are on a tight schedule don't just apply for jobs you want, apply for ever single job you could possibly do, and then you can search for a job you will enjoy once you have a more secure income.

If you do decide to do uni, the Open University might be a good option, as you can do the work remotely and part time.

Well guys a little update.

I have had to apply for university. Sadly after months of applying for a million jobs its come to nothing. I have noticed a lot that people who are related to someone who's working there or a friend tends to get the job.

I have applied for Sociology Education as it related to my last job. Seems pretty cool, would be a qualified social scientist at the end. Its a very wide degree and is 4 years with 1 year placement which sounds very good for finding a job after. I will be perstering my uni lectures in the final year to help me find work afterwards for defo :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:.

Thanks for the military idea, unfortunately my empathy as a Aspie is far to strong to go towards things like that. Hopefully after my degree I can volunteer for refugee projects.

Thank you everyone for the responses.

New Threads

Top Bottom