• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Advice from us old dudes (dudettes)

Manuheleku

V.I.P Member
I figured it would be fun, and maybe useful, if we older Aspies gave our favorite tips for coping with the rest of humanity. You can be tongue in cheek or serious dependent on your mood. And, old is only relative.

I'll start!

One thing that took me awhile to figure out, it's usually more efficient to just pretend to like someone who you'd actually prefer to shank in the pancreas than to be angry with them. Makes meetings in passing much quicker and saves some stress. Like the Madagascar penguins say, "smile and wave."

Live within your means. Don't spend money just because you appear to have it at any given time.

Don't save money for rainy days. Save it for the Monsoons that eventually hit most everyone.

Not only would I agree, I regularly use the phrase "smile and wave" :) The other one "look cute and cuddly boys" doesn't work as well....

Use the 50-year rule: If something is stressing you out so much that you can't see past it, then ask yourself, "will this matter in 50 years?" If the answer is yes, then use the 100-year rule.

Speak up for yourself. Set boundaries and don't be afraid to enforce them. You can say no without giving a reason.

Start every interaction by being nice.

If the beans start to run out of water, add more.

JJ, if it seems real positive, there are often hidden negative.
If it seems real negative, look around, something good might await you.

New Threads

Top Bottom