• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Advice from us old dudes (dudettes)

Use technology to your advantage... Shop online and don't torture yourself in so many loud, smelly, noisy, mind boggling public places... Unless you feel like it of course... : )

Also don't let people make you feel guilty when you need your time and space... Its their problem with you, not your problem with them.

Use technology to your advantage... Shop online and don't torture yourself in so many loud, smelly, noisy, mind boggling public places... Unless you feel like it of course... : )

Also don't let people make you feel guilty when you need your time and space... Its their problem with you, not your problem with them.

Good advice. But you don't qualify as an old dude :D

Good advice. But you don't qualify as an old dude :D

I'm heading that way pretty fast its seems... I usually feel like this 23 year old kid... After today I feel lost... But I will find my way back eventually... : )

when others judge you harshly but you're being pretty cool, just keep in mind that their own issues haunt them all of the time. they're just picking on you to distract themselves, so take the accuracy of their judgements lightly.

If someone really can look beyond themselves at you, then congrats you finally have a friend!

....or your downfall in some instances ;-)

when others judge you harshly but you're being pretty cool, just keep in mind that their own issues haunt them all of the time. they're just picking on you to distract themselves, so take the accuracy of their judgements lightly.

If someone really can look beyond themselves at you, then congrats you finally have a friend!

....or your downfall in some instances ;-)

Life is Yin Yang.
Every rose has it's thorns.
Every form of refuge has it's price.
I have black and white thinking,
somewhere in between there's fifty shades of grey
I am told. It's easy to get lost in there. :eek:

In other words: The glass is neither half empty or half full...
It just has water in it. :D

Push out of your comfort zone, the discomfort zone is where you grow.

Always be kind, even if you feel the other person doesn't deserve it.

If you're having a rubbish day, try to brighten someone else's day, their happiness may well cheer you up too, and if not then at least someone will be having a good day even if you're not.

If a job is worth doing, make sure it's done properly.

When your friends or loved ones fall, help them back to their feet - for those who say "everyone for themselves" will only say that until they fall and need help getting back on their feet.

Last edited:
On a more serious note: don’t spend too much time obsessing over what other people think of you. Instead, work on becoming and/or being a person you can be proud of. Learn to love and respect yourself.

This is a trap. If you don't succeed, learn from it and adapt a new strategy. Losing is only learning. Seek challenges.

Good point. Most successes are built on a foundation of failures. When you get it right the first time, indeed you learn little or nothing in the process.

Good point. Most successes are built on a foundation of failures. When you get it right the first time, indeed you learn little or nothing in the process.
I had an NCO in charge of a battery or company that had a reputation of falling short of duty. I conducted a personal experiment to see if I could change his mindset by refraining from compliments that could potentially limit the nco's potential to grow. Words like "I know you are capable of much more. " over an over. He became more friendly towards me, and would constantly stop by to get his job down more efficiently. (Refraining from details because military)

I had an NCO in charge of a battery or company that had a reputation of falling short of duty. I conducted a personal experiment to see if I could change his mindset by refraining from compliments that could potentially limit the nco's potential to grow. Words like "I know you are capable of much more. " over an over. He became more friendly towards me, and would constantly stop by to get his job down more efficiently. (Refraining from details because military)
Saying it as a suggestion to experiment yourself.

Constant failures ("not enough conventional memory") are how I learned computer operating systems, software and hardware. Then moved on to building my own computers. I just don't think I would have gotten so far had everything worked as advertised.

No, strike that. I KNOW I wouldn't have gotten this far. I would have continued to just rely on a computer rather than hack how it worked to make it do what I wanted or needed. ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom