• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"Adults with Aspergers - A user manual for friends"

The problem is the author as usual is communicating it in a neuro typical! way

Actually the author has Aspergers, and the manual has nothing to do with "curing" autism or changing the person who has it. It's intended to help NTs understand their Aspie friend/relative a little better and try to see things from their perspective.

"Personer med asperger er svært forskjellige fra hverandre (på tross av det stereotype bildet som ofte blir gitt i media og i fagfolks beskrivelser). I dette heftet blir det bare gitt noen generelle tips som kan lede deg i riktig retning."

Here it says: "People with Aspergers are very different from one another (despite the stereotypical picture that is often given in media and professional descriptions). In this booklet there will just be some general tips that can lead you in the right direction."

Basically it's offering general background information, and some advice as a starting point to help the NT person build a better relationship with their friend or relative.

I like this guide because I've noticed that almost nobody I know has a damn clue about Aspergers and it's hard for me to explain it to other people. It's complicated and nuanced, so I end up overwhelming them with details and examples, and they start dumping a bunch of useless advice on me which completely misses the point, and the result is just more frustration. If (big if) other people could read a guide like this it could potentially help smooth out some of the hiccups and misunderstandings that can happen so easily in NT/AS relationships.

Last edited:
I have run the document through google translate and find that it is a good doc which is well written in colloquial Norwegian. Unfortunately the translation mangles parts of the original text and I am in the process of translating the original idiom into appropriate English

Actually the author has Aspergers, and the manual has nothing to do with "curing" autism or changing the person who has it. It's intended to help NTs understand their Aspie friend/relative a little better and try to see things from their perspective.

"Personer med asperger er svært forskjellige fra hverandre (på tross av det stereotype bildet som ofte blir gitt i media og i fagfolks beskrivelser). I dette heftet blir det bare gitt noen generelle tips som kan lede deg i riktig retning."

Here it says: "People with Aspergers are very different from one another (despite the stereotypical picture that is often given in media and professional descriptions). In this booklet there will just be some general tips that can lead you in the right direction."

Basically it's offering general background information, and some advice as a starting point to help the NT person build a better relationship with their friend or relative.

I like this guide because I've noticed that almost nobody I know has a damn clue about Aspergers and it's hard for me to explain it to other people. It's complicated and nuanced, so I end up overwhelming them with details and examples, and they start dumping a bunch of useless advice on me which completely misses the point, and the result is just more frustration. If (big if) other people could read a guide like this it could potentially help smooth out some of the hiccups and misunderstandings that can happen so easily in NT/AS relationships.
yes but !!!it is formed in a neurotypical pattern ,I dont speak their language, I will not be pigeon holed by categories .Im taking back my power,I dont bow to science and I live in a democracy not a scienceocracy

No manual with me. With me it's like people know I have Autism and they adapt to me.

That must be nice! You're fortunate to have such perceptive and caring people in your life :)

I was diagnosed as an adult. I mask very well and internalize a lot, so my friends and family don't have any idea what I experience. It's very difficult for me to explain it to them, so this guide could potentially help bridge that communication gap a little bit.

yes but !!!it is formed in a neurotypical pattern ,I dont speak their language

It's intended for neurotypical readers, so it makes sense to write it in a way that they can understand :)

I look at as a different way of learning to communicate.
NTS are social communicators,thynvuld theirmworld view socially.
Whereas,we can build it individually.

If an NT becomes more aware of the social meaning and expectation of their communication, they can also fi d it easier to communicate with someone who doesn't have thay layer of meaning in what they say.
They can interpret what is said literally.
It means what it says on the tin.

Those emotional messages below and within the words, are called ememes.
As in the link below.
It's an inclusive way of looking at a communication issue which involves the NT.
It also moves away fro diagnosing and viewing it as fixing a problem.
As it demonstrates communication as a two way street, encapsulated in a different way of learning.
Social versus literal.

Just for my clarity and learning how would you describe that?
(I ask as an Aspie trying to understand the difference between my way and NT's way of explaining things)

I wish I could but I don't understand the difference either, at least not well enough to put into words.

It doesn't seem to matter how hard I try, how much thought I put into it, how much detail or how simple and concise I make things.. I always struggle to get the right message across.

Wouldn't it be nice to have an AS/NT translator? :D

I wish I could but I don't understand the difference either, at least not well enough to put into words.

It doesn't seem to matter how hard I try, how much thought I put into it, how much detail or how simple and concise I make things.. I always struggle to get the right message across.

Just think neuro typical perception is based on emotion ( feelings ) ,autistic perception is based on logic , so not feelings , The autistic writer translated it to neuro typical perception !because immediately we are different ,we don’t speak with very noticeable emotion ,that makes us not neuro typical, some humans become predatory if they notice a difference to a lesser or larger degree .

Try the link. As well as other mention on the board.

Here is a translation of the Manual into english.

I have done my best to get it right, but there may be some areas where the flow in english can be improved.

Please post here if you have any suggestions for corrections and I will look them

Attachments

• Adult Aspergers - Manual.pdf
    801.6 KB · Views: 0

I have done my best to get it right, but there may be some areas where the flow in english can be improved.

Please post here if you have any suggestions for corrections and I will look them

That's wonderful, wow! Thank you for doing this!

Just to be clear - I have marked this as draft, since there may be some improvements to the language.

Feel free to post back any suggestions for improvements or where you think the text does not flow.

Thanks for the translation of that book. I feel like it’s going to help me explain how my brain works to my wife, whom is struggling to understand me.
At age 41 I’ve just learnt about Asperger’s and found that I can relate to so many aspects of it (I’m waiting to have an unofficial evaluation done at a local autism center.)

I don’t have a book like that, but I wrote a short manual for myself on how to approach me and how to deal with me during different states, such as relaxed, happy, excited, tense, very tense and meltdown. I’ve given this to my parents, my sister and my boyfriend. It’s on our fridge as a reminder.

You sound like a much braver person than I am. Just the thought of doing that and that moment of handing it over and trying to explain what the booklet is all about would just be too much for me. Couldn't do it. I can feel my blood pressure going up just thinking about doing that. Kudos to you though for being brave and proactive!

Hi, thank you for translating this. So I made a few corrections to the document, mostly just typos or where you had missed a word (p.3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13). I changed the first use of "aspie" to "someone with asperger's" because I think it flows better that way before the term has been introduced. And the second to last paragraph on page 14, I changed a few "he" into "they" because it read as you mixing tenses. Anyway, have a look and thank you again, it has been a huge help.

Attachments

• 60269_2c0bb12cc62fc60c5526b7623e990564.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

New Threads

Top Bottom