• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"Adults with Aspergers - A user manual for friends"

Bellacat

I was recently diagnosed with Aspergers, and my psychologist gave me this amazing little handbook: "Adults with Aspergers - A user manual for friends". He suggested leaving it out on the coffee table so if we have friends or family over, they can browse through it and perhaps start a conversation about, for example, ways that we can better understand each other or try to "close the gap" when it comes to needs and expectations.

It's 17 pages long, and has a brief overview of what Aspergers is, a little about how we experience the world, and how it might affect our relationships, how our needs might differ from neurotypicals, etc.

The only problem is it's in Norwegian, and I'm from Canada so half the people in my life won't be able to read it (not sure if they would anyway.. but that's another discussion).

Does anyone know of a similar guide in English they could recommend?

I'm thinking something like a pdf or a well developed online article with a table of contents so it covers things in some depth, but no more than 10-20 pages worth of content so they aren't too overwhelmed by it.

I'd also love to hear about any experiences you've had with using something like this. Did it have any impact, for better or worse?

The best thing to do is direct them to this forum there is nothing like just hearing somebody story most people are overwhelmed by anything new

I don’t have a book like that, but I wrote a short manual for myself on how to approach me and how to deal with me during different states, such as relaxed, happy, excited, tense, very tense and meltdown. I’ve given this to my parents, my sister and my boyfriend. It’s on our fridge as a reminder.

I don’t have a book like that, but I wrote a short manual for myself on how to approach me and how to deal with me during different states, such as relaxed, happy, excited, tense, very tense and meltdown. I’ve given this to my parents, my sister and my boyfriend. It’s on our fridge as a reminder.

That is brilliant!

I was recently diagnosed with Aspergers, and my psychologist gave me this amazing little handbook: "Adults with Aspergers - A user manual for friends". He suggested leaving it out on the coffee table so if we have friends or family over, they can browse through it and perhaps start a conversation about, for example, ways that we can better understand each other or try to "close the gap" when it comes to needs and expectations.

It's 17 pages long, and has a brief overview of what Aspergers is, a little about how we experience the world, and how it might affect our relationships, how our needs might differ from neurotypicals, etc.

The only problem is it's in Norwegian, and I'm from Canada so half the people in my life won't be able to read it (not sure if they would anyway.. but that's another discussion).

Does anyone know of a similar guide in English they could recommend?

I'm thinking something like a pdf or a well developed online article with a table of contents so it covers things in some depth, but no more than 10-20 pages worth of content so they aren't too overwhelmed by it.

I'd also love to hear about any experiences you've had with using something like this. Did it have any impact, for better or worse?

You could translate it, or have it translated.

I'm also curious to read it. I speak Danish, so I will probably be able to read about 75% of it, and at least get the gist of it.

Edit: Find out who made the handbook. I bet there's a version in English already.

Last edited:
It would be nice if this forum got together online and voted for 20 things that you need to know about me, your spectrum friend. We would create more traffic to this site and the powers to be would send me free donut coupons. lol

It would be nice if this forum got together online and voted for 20 things that you need to know about me, your spectrum friend. We would create more traffic to this site and the powers to be would send me free donut coupons. lol
if youve talked to one aspie youve talked to one aspie

Well I think we could broadly say that our processing in communication tends to be different from neurotypical norms, so this can cause confusion or misunderstanding? Also that autism is a brain difference and not a mental illness.

Is this the doc? As has been said Danish speakers will be able to read most of this.
I found this file here Familie og venner - Autismesiden.no

Attachments

• VOKSNE ASPERGERE -Brukerveiledning for venner.pdf
    323.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Is this the doc? As has been said Danish speakers will be able to read most of this.
I found this file here Familie og venner - Autismesiden.no

That's the one!

Google can do that for you too. Just translate or copy & paste.

Google translate can give mixed results, but it can help speed things up a bit to run it through and then go back and fix up the weird parts.

I might try tracking down the person who wrote it and see if there already is an english version. If not, maybe I could translate it.

I might try tracking down the person who wrote it and see if there already is an english version. If not, maybe I could translate it.

I have found a link to the author inthe docuement and written to her (in Norwegian - which I speak)
WIll let you know

I say, start a thread asking people to list their top 3 traits, or what they think are the common-to-most traits, analyze which traits come up most and lets compile that list!

Since it's such a short document if things don't work out with the author for whatever reason try seeking out English speaking colleges who offer degrees in that language and contact faculty. That might be a lot of chasing, but I'd think someone who was an academic wouldn't mind helping out.

I have found a link to the author inthe docuement and written to her (in Norwegian - which I speak)
WIll let you know
The problem is the author as usual is communicating it in a neuro typical! way !I can’t !read Danish but even the adjectives that I could read made me feel like I was a manual and I was an electrical gadget ,what concerns me is there are neuro typical parents out there !who would be interested in it as usual !!!as a means to curing! autism, even diseases that are not a ‘ developmental disorder’!!!!still don’t have a cure, yet neuro typicals still spew !!!out information to desperate !!!parents who think it will be the answer ,like Lorenzo Odone! ,there is not enough consideration given to the psychological effect it has when neuro typicals try to perceive something that they want to change ,I remember Lorenzo Odone being unnerved by a group of students in the lecture hall !staring !gawping!at him (-Even his loving neuro typical parents couldn’t cure him after spending innumerable hours trying to find a cure),forms of learning still present in the 21st-century that haven’t changed since the 17th century!.
There may be hope !colleges appear to be stopping vivisection maybe they will start to give some respect to psychology and spend more than one day on it in medical training .

New Threads

Top Bottom