• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

ADHD and Autism

DaisyRose

V.I.P Member
My mom was recently diagnosed with ADHD and I found this cool article describing the common link between each condition. I didn’t know it’s common to have an offspring with Autism when the mother has ADHD. I thought it was a cool thing to know.

Yes, there is a co-ocurrence of various neurodivergences: ADHD, gifted, autism, TOC...

On top of that: Trauma, eating disorders, depression....

There are also many people who has mixed profiles, like ADHD + Autism + Gifted, or Autism + ADHD

Yes, there is a co-ocurrence of various neurodivergences: ADHD, gifted, autism, TOC...

On top of that: Trauma, eating disorders, depression....

There are also many people who has mixed profiles, like ADHD + Autism + Gifted, or Autism + ADHD
What do you mean by "gifted"? I'm genuinely interested :eek:

What do you mean by "gifted"? I'm genuinely interested :eek:
I mean people who is more intelligent of what is normal, people who learn faster and are learning new things every day.

Both conditions share many similar traits that just differ in the "performance" level. There are many gifted people who have autist people in their families and many autists with gifted people in their families, and there are many twice excepcional people (who have 2 conditions at the same time) being both autists and gifted, both ADHD and gifted, or the three of them.

Gifted people also have special interests they love, in their case we never say obsessions. We use the "passion" word.

Many gifted people have special sensitivity, we dont use sensory disability in their case. But is the same stuff with a more power brain who has way more spoons than average autistic brains.

Forgetting to eat when doing special activity? Check.

Dislike sensory intense activities? Check.

Hiperfocus? Check.

Attention to details? Check.

More morals than most of people? Check in most cases.

Alternative ways to process info and see the world? Check.

Fine motor skills issues in many cases? Check.

Bullying? Check in most cases.

Poor social skills? Many Checks, many gifted just mask way better and have more spoons.

So not every gifted person is on the autist side of the human spectrum, but a lot of them are.

Lets say if 10% of non gifted humans are close or in the autist spectrum, about 35% of gifted humans are close or in the autist spectrum and about 50% of gifted people do have close family who is in the autism spectrum.

Something like that. The stadistics are not clear yet because there is no clear definition to what is being gifted and the autism definition is still based on symthoms and support needs targeting exactly the less fuctional individuals of the autism spectrum and letting out most women and very funtional males.

Oops, I think I infodumped. o_O:rolleyes::eek:

I mean people who is more intelligent of what is normal, people who learn faster and are learning new things every day.

Both conditions share many similar traits that just differ in the "performance" level. There are many gifted people who have autist people in their families and many autists with gifted people in their families, and there are many twice excepcional people (who have 2 conditions at the same time) being both autists and gifted, both ADHD and gifted, or the three of them.

Gifted people also have special interests they love, in their case we never say obsessions. We use the "passion" word.

Many gifted people have special sensitivity, we dont use sensory disability in their case. But is the same stuff with a more power brain who has way more spoons than average autistic brains.

Hiperfocus? Check.

Poor social skills? Many Checks, many gifted just mask way better and have more spoons.

So not every gifted person is on the autist side of the human spectrum, but a lot of them are.

Lets say if 10% of non gifted humans are close or in the autist spectrum, about 35% of gifted humans are close or in the autist spectrum and about 50% of gifted people do have close family who is in the autism spectrum.

Something like that. The stadistics are not clear yet because there is no clear definition to what is being gifted and the autism definition is still based on symthoms and support needs targeting exactly the less fuctional individuals of the autism spectrum and letting out most women and very funtional males.

My family has an unusual number of gifted people. Multiple generations not regressing to the mean.

Hiperfocus? Check.

That's very cool information that makes sense though, thank you!

New Threads

Top Bottom