• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Acts of kindness/chains of kindness

lovely_darlingprettybaby

V.I.P Member
I was thinking about how we could encourage each other to do acts of kindness if we manage to be in society or can feel confident enough to.
You can write ideas here or share your thoughts
I will start with some ideas of my own:
-Compliment someone on their dress or skirt or clothing and tell them they look great or beautiful
-Write a note somewhere saying someone is beautiful, worthy and special and loved where someone will find it or paint on a rock.
-Or leave a little jar with a treasure and note of kindness
-Instead of buy something for yourself, give to charity or donate online
-leave a kind note in a library book
-pay for someone's coffee
-buy cute little prizes like stickers and cute memo pads or little plushies put them in your handbag and if you see someone in a wheelchair or a sick kid who looks like they are bald and have cancer or someone sad in your city or town give it to them
-write a good doctor or teacher or someone good like that or even a supportive family member a thank you note or card
-make a beautiful happy and positive poster like if you feel down today know you are loved, you make the world worthwhile or we are all in this together or covid will one day go away or he healed: stay safe and stick it on a tree

Now you can say what you think or your ideas?

Many acts of kindness, although still appreciated, are done for selfish reasons and often not well thought out.

For example giving homeless people money, it may be different in other countries but in Australia we get given plenty of money and looked after quite well. I know this because I was homeless for 12 years. If you see someone begging for money in Australia they are just scabs or after money for more drugs and alcohol.

The bests acts of kindness are the gifts that keep on giving. Sometimes if presented in the right way an act of kindness will get passed along perpetuating more kindness. Helping to make a shift in the attitude of a community.

A small example has happened on this forum, not long after I joined I had technical trouble paying for a membership, and someone else paid it for me. That made me feel so welcome and at home here. I have since paid for a couple of other people's memberships. A couple of times people have asked me if I paid their membership and it wasn't me, so others are doing the same. It gives a nice feel to the community.

Do a boring task for a friend/colleague when you know they really don't feel like doing it
Tell a kid they've made great progress when you notice they've made great progress

Many acts of kindness, although still appreciated, are done for selfish reasons and often not well thought out.
So much this!

I really dislike it when people do acts of kindness and plaster them all over social media or just talk about them with everyone.

An act of kindness is an act of being good, not an act to get any gain or respect from it, you just do good because it's the correct thing to do, not to get a star on your forehead.

For example giving homeless people money, it may be different in other countries but in Australia we get given plenty of money and looked after quite well. I know this because I was homeless for 12 years. If you see someone begging for money in Australia they are just scabs or after money for more drugs and alcohol.
I'd say it's different in a lot of countries ;)

It's not always that hard to arbitrate between the people who really need it and the people who are trying to rip you off. Also: where I live, homeless people are pretty well taken care of, but still, some really light up when you give them something, and just that makes it worth it. As long as I can afford it, I'm happy to do it. Everything has a selfish aspect anyway.

Anyone with tech skills:

Fix less tech-savvy peoples computers, tablets and phones for free.
Clear out their old PCs, reinstall the OS or install Linux, keep the PC running to save them having to buy a new one.
Donate your old tech to people who can't afford anything new.
Donate an old laptop and USB webcam to a vulnerable person. They now have a security camera.
Inform people of any scams you know about. Not everyone had heard of every trick used by con artists. Some people are extremely trusting.

Sometimes it's the little unexpected things that can go a long way - like a "thank you" or a smile.

"Perform random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty." - Anne Herbert

"One kind word can warm three winter months."
- Chinese Proverb

Recently, I patched the wall at my health food store for free. I fixed a broken chair, part of a set, at far below market rates for a neighbour. I shovel extra snow - I do 3 sidewalk sections when it is a light snow, and my neighbour does them with his blower when it's heavy. #3 is older than either of us.
One time, I picked up a Mexican hitchiker in the middle of California. He was headed to work the harvest in Washington, and it had taken him 25 days to get that far. I couldn't detour, but I got him within a hundred miles. Too many others to shake a stick at.

New Threads

Top Bottom