• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Acting more coherent than others?

Aalo

Hypostasis
Despite that many of us have some mannerisms that can be seen ass peculiar for others, do you think that you or people in the spectrum over all - act more coherent, predictable and that way in more mature or admissible way in any manner on a given situations, if compared to NT's or just others in general?

I've noticed that I can't feel like doing anything stupid, that one would regret later, or even like something as going to dance while drunk like most of people do. These things feel equally stupid even then. I've also come to conclusion that getting tired or hungry won't make me so noticeably cranky over what I'm already. These might be reasons why I'm commonly seen as stable and liked person. It's in my interest if feelings like these are common. Have others noticed something like this?

I've often have said to people that I am the sanest person I know because I react to every situation the same. With calm rational thought. Of course this has been viewed by many to be cold hearted and caused them to believe I am being an ass. They also believe I'm crazy and a psycho path so it's all a matter of perception and what lens you enjoy looking through.

I find that I act incredibly coherent in pretty much any situation. I can be drunk, sleep-deprived, angry, you name it, and I still make logical choices that I can stand by (and remember). The one I receive comments about most often is my driving. I live in the country, and there are a lot of animals running around after dark, such as deer, raccoon, even turkey. Or there's snow and ice. I don't panic, I just instinctively know what the correct course of action is and follow through.

I never get how people do 'crazy' stuff when they're drunk. I've tried drinking in hope to turn off my mind for a bit, but I've never gotten to a point where I do not think about my actions, which means I know what I'm doing. I'm not sure if I was drunk though, how do you know when you're drunk? I was hoping at the point I stopped thinking.

Edit: to the point, I do always think before I act.

I believe I am indeed more coherent than most others. I'm thinking it is an emotional thing. I don't react emotionally to things, even danger. I don't panic when something really bad happens, I act accordingly. I've had this tested quite a few times unfortunately. I also always think things through, to the point of causing problems actually. I'll tend to over think things and worry to much about very unlikely but possible outcomes. Though this keeps me out of trouble, and was (I'm sure) very helpful during my early years through my teens while living in an inner city setting with the problems that can arise there. Also mentioned is being drunk. I also have never understood why some people act "crazy" when drunk. I can be (and have been) very drunk, and while slurring speech and having very little body control, can hold a (in my mind at least) coherent conversation for example. In thinking about it, I can associate this to emotions as well though. Drunken people lose inhibition, even me in discussion topics, anxiety towards a person or situation for example, but in some it leads to the loss of emotional inhibitions as well. Some people are angry inside, and become angry drunks, some people are sad inside and "cry in their beer" so to speak. Some people wish to do exciting and outlandish things, but are inhibited by perceived moral, physical, or legal consequence...except when overly drunk.

But yes, I perceive myself as acting more coherent and accordingly than most others.

I wish I could say that I am coherent and that my thoughts are always ordered and logical when approaching a crisis, but unfortunately I am not. My abstract aspie emotions tend to dominate my sense of logic, or there are often gaps in my thinking where I've eagerly jumped to an incorrect conclusion or I over-complicate something and miss an obvious solution. I think I do feel a lot of things very deeply, particularly joy in receipt of generosity and anger in receipt of patronising belittlement, but I often struggle to adequately describe what I'm feeling.

That said, last night when our beautiful family rabbit died, just a few months after his brother, and my little sister was very distraught, I did become the clear-headed, practical person in charge of working out what to do in terms of burying him and things like that. It was the same when my grandfathers died last year, actually.

But normally ?I'd say that I make lots of errors in logic and struggle to pull all of my thoughts together.

It's nice to read this. There I was thinking I was weird for staying completely coherent and in control of myself while inebriated or in crisis mode. It's just a different state of mind, it doesn't change who I am or how I do things. At most it's a tool to let me do things outside my comfort zone.

The thing about "crisis mode" is that part of being the calm one is absorbing the nervous/excited/upset energy of people around you and dissipating it. That's really the only way it is different from normal functioning. Oh, and the part where you might have to do something like put an animal's intestines back in its butt or some other first aid thing and there's more adrenaline than usual.

This weekend, my friends would not take me seriously when I offered to end the crisis of my friend's 15-years-older, desperate ex-girlfriend lying about coming over to pick up her stuff and refusing to leave his apartment for a day and a half. I was completely serious and rational when I offered to provoke her into hitting me so that he could have the cops remove her. It would have been the quickest solution. I could have used the outlet for my own frustrations. It would have been a win-win situation, except the part where they didn't want a 5'2" woman to get into a physical altercation. Oh well.

For me personally it depends on the situaion. There are things in life that I do seem to midigate better than most. However there are times when I definatly respond to situations in a way that most "neuro -typicals" would not. Often these things are "changes" or events "not anticipated" and there is a level of anxiety or meltdown behavior(s) that can follow. In crisis situations I can be coherent depending on what's going on but I'm also someone that has had a lot of different areas of life experience, some of it quite frankly pretty intense.:) In regaurds to drinking behavior , I do have a "routine" and don't like to deviate from that , I guess in a sense one could say that it's "structured " right down to what songs I will play , in what order to which songs actually "bridge " the best off each other..

In my personal opinion everybody who faces challanges in life often has areas that are actually very strong. I guess the key is discovering those things and utilizing them :)

I am much more of a thinker than a drinker. When in a crisis, logic dominates for me. I am an EMT (emergency medical technician) and this serves me well. I can pull a badly injured person from an auto accident, and do what I must, completely void of emotion. Here's the thing though. my emotions catch up to me after the fact, and I often cry, worry, shake, or have some other emotional reaction. Even with my driving (like Sally Slips), I neither panic nor worry, I just drive right through. Many people have commented on this so I know it is that way.
Logic dominates when necessary, and emotion comes later when it is safe. Weird I guess, but good none the less.

Christian T, I think you use you words beautifully, and I understand exactly how you feel.

Thanks Peace. It means a lot.

There is certainly a value in being logical or emotional at the right times. The ability to easily switch to coherent mode is something that should be treasured, I think.

New Threads

Top Bottom