• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A tribute to crushes and infatuations

When I was a child, I liked Stan Laurel and Harpo Marx.

Wouldn't say it was at the level of a crush or obsession.
I just enjoyed seeing them in the old movies.

Wished I could play the harp.
Read Harpo's autobiography, eventually, when I was 13.
I love those old comedians. I know a bit about the Marx brothers from books I’ve read about vaudeville. L&H were in vaudeville, too. I have a huge crush on Buster Keaton.

I really like men who are funny. Honestly that’s pretty much all it takes for me.

My biggest crush and greatest failure was when I was doing basic research at the Michigan Cancer Foundation. I was working with potent carcinogens and animals. I felt responsible for safety, especially with two animal caretakers, women my age, one married, one single. I created the procedures to eliminate any exposure to the carcinogens I was using and felt good about keeping those two safe.

I thought the single woman was incredibly cute, intelligent, attractive, but shy. I had a crush on her. But coming out of my social isolation I could not bring myself to ask her to date even though now pursuing my interests I was liking myself more. One day a guy I knew from another lab came up to me. I did not like him, poor work ethic and not very bright. He told me that I need to date the girl I had the crush on because he had sex with her and she was great in bed. I was crestfallen and did not pursue her. I am ashamed.

Last edited:
Well I suppose we often just can't comprehend the complexities of this type of area, @Gerald Wilgus. Not sure what that guy's angle was, maybe just a gross guy, or lying to show off, or trying to put you off, even? What's your thinking on that, in retrospect?

I think you can be too quick to berate yourself, when really our difficulties in understanding social interactions are what's tripping us up. You were on the way to being better at communicating by then, that's the takeaway achievement there, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Well I suppose we often just can't comprehend the complexities of this type of area, @Gerald Wilgus. Not sure what that guy's angle was, maybe just a gross guy, or lying to show off, or trying to put you off, evenyou can too quick to berate yourself, when really our difficulties in understanding social interactions are what's tripping us up. You were on the way to being better at communicating by then, that's the takeaway achievement there, Rome wasn't built in a day.
Thank you @Thinx. Well, I believed him because he was known as a player. I should have been a better me and ignored him, but I was oversensitive to such things then. I regret not connecting with a nice person.

My biggest crush and greatest failure was when I was doing basic research at the Michigan Cancer Foundation. I was working with potent carcinogens and animals. I felt responsible for safety, especially with two animal caretakers, women my age, one married, one single. I created the procedures to eliminate any exposure to the carcinogens I was using and felt good about keeping those two safe.

I thought the single woman was incredibly cute, intelligent, attractive, but shy. I had a crush on her. But coming out of my social isolation I could not bring myself to ask her to date even though now pursuing my interests I was liking myself more. One day a guy I knew from another lab came up to me. I did not like him, poor work ethic and not very bright. He told me that I need to date the girl I had the crush on because he had sex with her and she was great in bed. I was crestfallen and did not pursue her. I am ashamed.
Well, working at a vivisection laboratory where non-humans are infected with carcinogens probably isn’t the best place to “pick up chicks.” So I wouldn’t be too crestfallen about not pursuing her.

New Threads

Top Bottom