• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A renewed look at the world wide web

Won't happen, if the Internet becomes "anything goes", places like this will implode because the mods will have to deal with rampant swearing and other stuff that's currently against the rules.

Won't happen, if the Internet becomes "anything goes", places like this will implode because the mods will have to deal with rampant swearing and other stuff that's currently against the rules.
Did you even read the articles?

Wow Nitro, thanks for putting this up. It's time to go back to the beginnings of the web and start over. When they had the original idea that our personal information belonged to us. There was so much freedom back then, few ads, just information. Never liked the way it's become. And I'm going to become part of this. Have been thinking for a long time of ridding myself of windows and moving on to linux. Think it's time for a winter project. And it seems like Solid and Inrupt are the way to go.

I know exactly what you mean @Mia
I've been online since 1995 and the internet is unrecognisable to what it was then. It's full of so much wonderful content now compared to then, but the chokehold that a few companies have over it now is disturbing to say the least.

I know exactly what you mean @Mia
I've been online since 1995 and the internet is unrecognisable to what it was then. It's full of so much wonderful content now compared to then, but the chokehold that a few companies have over it now is disturbing to say the least.

And back then, in the UK at least, everybody was on 56K dial up so they couldn't spend long online with massive phone bills.

Actually my first modem was 9600 baud. I can still remember how thrilled I was when I upgraded to 14400 baud :D
I've got 100Mb cable connection that allows me to download at around 10MB/sec consistently these days - it just doesn't compare to those days of watching pictures build up line by line.

Actually my first modem was 9600 baud. I can still remember how thrilled I was when I upgraded to 14400 baud :D
I've got 100Mb cable connection that allows me to download at around 10MB/sec consistently these days - it just doesn't compare to those days of watching pictures build up line by line.

If you think that was bad, hark back to the days of 8 bit computers where you had to load games off tapes, they'd often take up to half an hour to load and even then the damn thing would crash often.

The inventor of the world wide web has plans to remove control of the internet as we know it from the corporations that now think of it as their own.

Exclusive: Tim Berners-Lee tells us his radical new plan to upend the World Wide Web

Home
I sincerely hope he is successful because I am sick of how the internet has really become just another corporate control tool. It's just become monetized in a way it was never meant to be. The internet was always supposed to be about open access.

If you think that was bad, hark back to the days of 8 bit computers where you had to load games off tapes, they'd often take up to half an hour to load and even then the damn thing would crash often.
Oh I remember it very well mate ;) I've still got my old C64 somewhere but my folks sold the BBC B years ago.

Interesting! Apparently, Tim Berners-Lee's framework, Solid, is written entirely in node.js. This means it is highly portable. I got it working on OpenBSD, which when compared to Linux, is more obscure. I am looking forward to playing with this a bit more.

My first dialup modem was a 2400 baud US Robotics model. I used it to connect to Prodigy and some BBSes back in the day. I couldn't afford CompuServe. Prodigy was the first service that was really all-you-can-eat. There were no per-minute fees and you could usually find a local exchange so no long distance fees. I pity the generation that doesn't remember long distance fees. Nowadays, if you live in the US, there's no such thing as long distance anymore. All calls are local with the exception of international.

Yeah I remember the BBSs. I didn't get my first modem till '95 but I tinkered at a friend's house with theirs for a long time before that - all of us thinking we were being Matthew Broderick in War Games ;)

The first dial-up I had would only download at 2-3 kbps because the telephone line was so corrupted to begin with.

Uhhhh....

Why don't people just stop using FB, Google, etc? All of the information they have has been given to them by their users, after all.

New Threads

Top Bottom