• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A possible job...

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
This came my way through an agency, with the possibility for hire, this one almost scares me (in a sense), I'm not sure I can perform at that level, more so the order picking quotas... I pretty much have to decide by tomorrow morning... And, yes, the pay is decent...

Very physically demanding job

Working days - Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday

Shift timings - 6:30am – 3pm

Hourly Pay: $xx

Customer: [grocery store]

Product is primarily dry and canned foods such as; rice, beans, pickles, nuts, etc. No fridge or freezer.

Duties/Responsibilities

· Order Picking entails efficiently picking customer orders for shipment to customers using voice a pick system and delivering with a motorized double pallet jack machine.

· Team Members must be able to lift up to 50lbs.

· This is a fast paced environment – each order picker will hand pick 1,300 to 1,600 cases per 8 hour day, 3 to 4 cases per minute. This equates to each person building an average of 8 pallets per day. The average pallet is 6 feet tall. Pallet building is all completed by hand.

Equipment: Operate motorized double pallet jack in performance of order filling duties. All associates will be trained to use in-house equipment.

· This is a fast paced environment – each order picker will hand pick 1,300 to 1,600 cases per 8 hour day, 3 to 4 cases per minute. This equates to each person building an average of 8 pallets per day. The average pallet is 6 feet tall. Pallet building is all completed by hand.

Yeah. You might rethink this one.

Yeah. You might rethink this one.
I'm just concerned that if I turn down too many jobs through this agency, that I'll be seen as a "no" person and they won't feed me anything else, I already passed on the other related warehouse job that would be the afternoon shift (3 to 11), because that would completely mess up my life...

But I know what you mean, perhaps a polite answer

I'm just concerned that if I turn down too many jobs through this agency, that I'll be seen as a "no" person and they won't feed me anything else, I already passed on the other related warehouse job that would be the afternoon shift (3 to 11), because that would completely mess up my life...

But I know what you mean, perhaps a polite answer
I worked as a warehouseman and truck driver right out of college when jobs were scarce. Toughest job I ever had, and inevitably I got injured. And all that despite being in excellent shape at the time. I would come home every day so exhausted I wasn't up to doing much but eating and going to bed.

But geez, what you posted sounds physically outrageous short of being younger than 25 and buffed like a bodybuilder. No dishonor in passing on that one. I'm sure better ones will eventually come your way.

I worked as a warehouseman and truck driver right out of college when jobs were scarce. Toughest job I ever had, and inevitably I got injured. And all that despite being in excellent shape at the time. I would come home every day so exhausted I wasn't up to doing much but eating and going to bed.

But geez, what you posted sounds physically outrageous short of being younger than 25 and buffed like a bodybuilder. No dishonor in passing on that one. I'm sure better ones will eventually come your way.
That's sort of the way I'm leaning, why I'm running this post on the forum, a second or third opinion...

If you take this position at the risk of hurting yourself, you might really end up in the hospital. Maybe just let them know you are interested in the next position that comes in.

I bet this is one of those "high turnover rate" jobs. I used to think a high turnover rate would be a bad thing a company would want to avoid, but apparently it is a sound business model for many of them. If it takes about 5 minutes to teach an unskilled laborer to do a job, chewing through employees is not really an issue. There's always another unskilled laborer desperate for cash. It's probably better to keep those employees rotating in and out at the entry level pay rate than to let them stay and work their way up to the higher levels of pay.

Having recently come off one of those jobs, the question for me would be "When I lose this job, will I be less employable than I am now?" You could just go in with the idea that it lasts as long as it lasts, and get some cash while it lasts - but if you leave on bad terms and can't get a good job reference, it could be worse in the long run.

I bet this is one of those "high turnover rate" jobs. I used to think a high turnover rate would be a bad thing a company would want to avoid, but apparently it is a sound business model for many of them. If it takes about 5 minutes to teach an unskilled laborer to do a job, chewing through employees is not really an issue. There's always another unskilled laborer desperate for cash. It's probably better to keep those employees rotating in and out at the entry level pay rate than to let them stay and work their way up to the higher levels of pay.

Having recently come off one of those jobs, the question for me would be "When I lose this job, will I be less employable than I am now?" You could just go in with the idea that it lasts as long as it lasts, and get some cash while it lasts - but if you leave on bad terms and can't get a good job reference, it could be worse in the long run.
Why I turned it down

New Threads

Top Bottom