• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

a phrase that annoys me...(dont like talking as it is)

Lucyd

not afraid to admit I'm an alien
I have a hard time putting sentences together. especially when someone is arguing with me or speaking over me. when someone is arguing with me about autism or speaking over me about it or trying to correct me about it (someone who isnt autistic) i get frustrated and then i lose my train of thought. then when they say "well everyone is a little autistic" i just...shut down. i feel defeated and invalid. is there a way to discuss this? does anyone else go through this? i dont like talking as it is. i try to use youtube and memes but they invalidate that too. keep in mind i dont like talking, but im constantly put in a position where talking is forced on me, which wears me out.

Personally, I tend to avoid real life autism discussions as much as possible, unless they are with people I really trust or are autists themselves. Being forced to speak does sound tiring and like it would lead to burnout. I'm sad to hear that you need to go through that. I'm not sure what exactly you mean by using YouTube and memes. Do you mean that you direct them towards resources on autism on YouTube or via memes?

People tend to react badly when I tell them that they are wrong. In the case of "Everyone is a little autistic", being autism a spectrum, is dificult to prove they are wrong.

The most extroverted person could have a very little autism trait, so it can be defended that this person is "a little autistic".

What I tend to do is the opossite. I tell them they are rigth and use that to make them collide with their own logic. For example:

- Hey, everyone is a little autistic.
- You are right! Its like plants. Did you know humans share more than 90% DNA with plants?
That must mean that we are all "a little plants", dont you think?

So to prove you that we are not like plants, that person may need to prove themself that not all humans are a little autistic. You no longer need to prove anything.

Even having the tools and loving that "I play with your logic" game, I also try to avoid those conversations in real life. I have enougth people disliking me. :D

Personally, I tend to avoid real life autism discussions as much as possible, unless they are with people I really trust or are autists themselves. Being forced to speak does sound tiring and like it would lead to burnout. I'm sad to hear that you need to go through that. I'm not sure what exactly you mean by using YouTube and memes. Do you mean that you direct them towards resources on autism on YouTube or via memes?
yes. i use visual sources as it helps me communicate through other voices.

This doesn't happen to me much, if at all, partly because I don't care what people think if it's clearly based on ignorance. Ignorance about autism is so prevalent, that we are going to meet it a lot when and if we mention it. We also see this with covid, silly remarks and dangerous behaviours based on ignorance or poor thinking abilities.

Maybe if you want to engage with this, do it via the written word, a blog or other writing? Probably more effective anyway. And gives you (and them) time to think and respond if you choose to. Or mask more with people who say that stuff. Change is happening, but it is slower than we wish it was.

Avoiding saying anything about being autistic is the best way I've found to not have such
incidents arise.
I only tell the people that need to know such as therapists or a few doctors, others that are
on the spectrum and want to talk. My live with companion knows also.

I have a hard time putting sentences together. especially when someone is arguing with me or speaking over me. when someone is arguing with me about autism or speaking over me about it or trying to correct me about it (someone who isnt autistic) i get frustrated and then i lose my train of thought. then when they say "well everyone is a little autistic" i just...shut down. i feel defeated and invalid. is there a way to discuss this? does anyone else go through this? i dont like talking as it is. i try to use youtube and memes but they invalidate that too. keep in mind i dont like talking, but im constantly put in a position where talking is forced on me, which wears me out.

Welcome to the club. You have some good points here.

One,...the topic of emotions. For many people, emotions tend to "cloud the brain",...your logic and reasoning centers do not function well while in an emotional state. So what you speak of here, is a very common phenomenon.

Two,..."Well, everyone is a little autistic." A toxic phrase. Sometimes it comes out of ignorance, sometimes out of compassion,...and sometimes out of disregard and lack of respect. However, I do understand the phrase,...and like most good lies,...comes out of some kernel of truth. Read enough about stereotypical ASD behavior, and sure enough,...you will know many neurotypicals with the same types of behaviors,...probably even more so than yourself. I had this very discussion with my own sister,...she literally said the same thing, but also added,..."Well, everyone get's a label these days." You know, a little more salt in the wound,...and she's the sister I confide in the most,...go figure. I said, "No,...you and I may have many things in common,...what separates us is not the 5, 10, 15 things that you transiently have,...it's the 150 things that I have that is pervasive." "It's all the things that I live with that never goes away no matter what." "I also actively hide a lot from you,...on purpose,...so that I will act normal,...for YOU,...so you will accept me." "When I say this, it may seem that I am disingenuous, that I am fake,...but I have to as an emotional defense from being rejected by the people around me." If you are good enough to trigger some compassionate, emotional response from them, you've done your job.

Three,...I have done this many times now with success with students and co-workers. Upon introduction,...just out yourself right away. I did this twice this week already, a student, and new employee. "Just so you know, I am on the autism spectrum, so if you sense that I am a bit "off",..."15* off of cool",...that's what it is." "I have a high IQ, but my communication skills can be a bit behind my brain and I can have difficulty with my words." A bit of self-humor is helpful,...don't make it too serious,...just matter-of-fact. It's at that point, where I will change the subject to our plans for the day, so we don't have an awkward silence,...because most people don't know what to say after that announcement,...so move on from the topic. Every time, so far,...it's been a pretty cool experience, and that's all that needed to be said. Furthermore, the new employee this week,...she has Asperger's, as well,...she was hiding behind it,...now she doesn't with me,...win-win. The reason for outing myself at the beginning,...people will talk to other people behind your back,...they just do,...so just stop the rumors and false interpretations before they even start.

I got that a lot, when I was not official and yes, I felt just like you ie devaluated, but since I did get my official diagnosis, no one has said that again and I think it is because I feel confident now, whereas before, I felt a fraud and guess they picked up on that and unwittingly abused it.

I also go mute and blank minded when challenged.

Well, to put my view on this, im gonna use a meme:

Karen: " No, I actually UNDERSTAND Autism, because i have an autistic son, youre wrong, theyre all the same and theyre just insecure !"

Actual Autist: " Excuse me what the **** "

People just dont get autism. They try to make our lives better, but they end up just being insincere and rude. Dont care about what they say, theyre just msinformed. A LOT.

New Threads

Top Bottom