• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A New Puppy in the house

Highway Cowboy

We have just got the most beautiful little 12 week old tiny Yorkshire Terrier puppy. We got it mainly as a calming influence for our 10 year old daughter who has Autism and suffers from anxiety and panic attacks.

I myself have Aspergers and although the dog is lovely and sweet and is really helpful to my daughter, I'm finding the disruption really hard to cope with. All my routines and habits are being completely messed up, newspapers on the floor and training pads all over for the puppy, bedtime routine completely changed and visitors coming to the house to see the puppy.

I'm starting to feel really anxious and don't feel like my home is my own anymore. I don't feel able to adapt to having the pet in the house although my daughter is really thriving and has formed an unbreakable bond with this dog.

Has anybody else encountered this issue? It sounds really silly but to me this is becoming quite an issue. Perhaps given time I might learn to adapt to it but my whole way of life at home has been turned on its head and it all just feels too chaotic for me to handle. I've tried to grow attached to the dog but it's just not happening for me.

Truthfully, l rescued a kitten because it's less upkeep, they can amuse themselves, and they are trained to use litter box. She really loves cats, and she has 2 more cats as a grown woman. She took care of it, cuddled at night with it, and during her darkest days with her abusive father, it helped her. Surprisely, the little dog l bought actually helped my abusive ex to some point.

You don't have to upset your routine to incorporate a new puppy's needs. Think "schedule". Place the dog's regular needs into your existing routine. Hopefully, soon, you won't be cleaning up surprise accidents in the house. The regular schedule should solve that. The presence of a puppy is happiness for all.

It’s not forever.
It’s a temporary disruption.

Much like yourself, the dog doesn’t care much for what’s just happened either.

Changes in environment, routines, expectations, surrounded by the unknown.

The dog will thrive on routine as much as you do.
They learn best with consistent repetition.

They’ll quickly learn what to expect if they can rely on when to expect it.
Particularly at this age and stage.

Implement routines acceptable to you.
(Taking into account, it’s a dog not a human and although has intelligence, not as great as yours)

You are now responsible for the dogs welfare, health and fulfilment.
Their needs are quite basic.
It doesn’t have to be complex.

I think it can be usual to feel how you’re feeling. It’s pretty normal to question the chaos and changes.

Perhaps it’s just a case of adapting to the slightly different way of doing things ?
much like the dog has to.

A bit like taking on new information ?
We think about it and question it til we understand and accept it,
Then reach equilibrium.

It doesn't sound really silly to me. Dogs have been lowering the quality of my life all my life. I've said my whole life that I don't like dogs and don't want one, but everyone else wants one. I like dogs, like babies, when they're others' but I hate owning one.

It doesn't sound really silly to me. Dogs have been lowering the quality of my life all my life. I've said my whole life that I don't like dogs and don't want one, but everyone else wants one. I like dogs, like babies, when they're others' but I hate owning one.
Absolutely! The disruption, the mess, the amount of looking after and time needed. And where the Hell is the fun and enjoyment in walking in the rain with a bag of dog ----?

Absolutely! The disruption, the mess, the amount of looking after and time needed. And where the Hell is the fun and enjoyment in walking in the rain with a bag of dog ****?

You got through parenting an infant. You'll get through parenting a Yorkie too.

Though yes, they're a breed that more often than not thinks they're human. But when they take off after another animal that's 46 times larger than they are, you might want to restrain them. ;)

mooks.jpg

Last edited:
We have 2 dogs here at home, I find them to be great company. One I've called my best friend. They're wonderful animals. They require care but overall your routine shouldn't change because of a new pet.

Find some things that can get back to normal right away. For me the random visits from people to see the pup would drive me crazy. Can you ask that visits be restricted to Wednesday’s and Sundays for example? That way you can plan your day.
Also, quiet time for all after a certain time each evening, like 7 pm so you and everyone can unwind before bed.
I always adopt adult dogs. Puppies are adorable but, man, they do require a lot of attention and cause humans of every age to squeal.

First of all, Ginseng is a genius.
Second of all, I'm not quick to anger at all, but when dogs bark I contemplate killing them.

After the puppy is housebroken and people have came to visit it enough, things will settle down and you may just find a new best friend in the process! Puppies are really difficult at first, especially if you don't have an older dog to help train them. Good luck! Things will get better ! :)

We have just got the most beautiful little 12 week old tiny Yorkshire Terrier puppy. We got it mainly as a calming influence for our 10 year old daughter who has Autism and suffers from anxiety and panic attacks.

I myself have Aspergers and although the dog is lovely and sweet and is really helpful to my daughter, I'm finding the disruption really hard to cope with. All my routines and habits are being completely messed up, newspapers on the floor and training pads all over for the puppy, bedtime routine completely changed and visitors coming to the house to see the puppy.

I'm starting to feel really anxious and don't feel like my home is my own anymore. I don't feel able to adapt to having the pet in the house although my daughter is really thriving and has formed an unbreakable bond with this dog.

Has anybody else encountered this issue? It sounds really silly but to me this is becoming quite an issue. Perhaps given time I might learn to adapt to it but my whole way of life at home has been turned on its head and it all just feels too chaotic for me to handle. I've tried to grow attached to the dog but it's just not happening for me.

Hi...wow I could have posted this !. My son got a puppy for Christmas and I had constant meltdowns for weeks!!. I (stupidly I know) thought that the puppy would belong to my son and I would basically be sharing a home with it, but I quickly found out that the whole house was somehow turned upside down!. I felt that my home was my sanctuary from the outside world and this dog was making me not want to be at home due to the mess, the smells, the constant fussing!. Its been a while now and i am feeling a lot better about him...Although he can still cause me to have a meltdown they are nowhere near as often. I look at him and feel guilt because we chose him to come here, he had no say in it and I feel bad not wanting him here so I am going to keep trying until I at least OK with him...that might be the best it gets...but my son adores him so it looks like he is here to stay!...hopefully we get passed this and can make the dog part of our daily routines... It has to get better the older they get ??

. It has to get better the older they get

??

Depends on many things.
Routines, training, boundaries.
The work you put in during the first year or two.

Also the average age of maturity for that particular size and breed of dog.
- smaller dogs are generally thought to mature quicker than the larger breeds.

New Threads

Top Bottom