• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A Man in the Dark

Superiors only! No parent calls, no making him an appointment. I can't remember my parents ever having gotten calls directly from teachers--it was always the headmaster or his secretary. That's the proper procedure. Report it to a superior, or better, superiors, so the one might not sweep it under the rug.

Also, I'm not saying your superiors are necessarily superior to you, if you take what I'm saying.

Superiors only! No parent calls, no making him an appointment. I can't remember my parents ever having gotten calls directly from teachers--it was always the headmaster or his secretary. That's the proper procedure. Report it to a superior, or better, superiors, so the one might not sweep it under the rug.

Also, I'm not saying your superiors are necessarily superior to you, if you take what I'm saying.

I was actually thinking of this today and trying to imagine how it would be dealt with if that was what I did. Would you discuss it with the student beforehand or just suddenly report it?

Would you discuss it with the student beforehand or just suddenly report it?

Test the waters.

It may depend on whether or not your student will feel relief, betrayed or afraid.

sidd had some great suggestions earlier in the thread,
about a ‘friend experiencing something similar, would your student mind if you spoke to your friend about him’

And,
would your student want to meet your ‘friend’ (counsellor) to talk about what’s going on.

If you lynch him you might lose him.
(Shut down, won’t trust you)

Update:

He said he'd never consider talking to his parents, and talking to a school counselor was a revolting idea.

He briefly considered therapy to be a good idea then said that he doesn't need it because I'm his therapist, while admitting I have no qualifications. I explained the benefits of professional help, and he said he doesn't need expertise, he just needs someone to listen and that I've been helping him enough.

He said if it gets worse, then he'll see a doctor/therapist.

I suddenly thought to ask about visual snow, because I have that, and turns out he has something like that too. It sounds similar but it's only in the dark or with his eyes closed, and the dots are colored and jump around, which I mention because that differs from mine, which is basically just television static.

I don't know if that's related.

He made a joke about suicide, and he mentioned that he sometimes worries his friends are plotting to hurt him and finds it interesting that this is never an issue with his family.

I asked about me talking to a friend for him, and he didn't seem to hear me. I repeated it, same thing, and then later I asked again, same thing. I guess that's a no. I'm inclined to do it anyway.

New Threads

Top Bottom