• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A little about me :)

BoundlessStars

Hi everyone! My name is Jordan (the guy version), I am 24 years old, with a B.S. in physics, and am currently studying to become a teacher.

While I've never been officially diagnosed with Asperger's, I follow the symptoms closely enough to eliminate any doubt. I even worked with a counselor recently who saw those signs very clearly. Nevertheless, I have been working towards improving myself for the past several years, ever since my parents noticed the signs when I was 19. There was much speculation before that, as I was growing up... ADD, anxiety disorders, and tons of counseling with inconclusive results. But, we finally found what it was!

I have come here in the hopes of meeting other people like myself, as well as to hopefully find ways to cope with some of my weaknesses. Obviously I am very detail-oriented, which is why I was so easily drawn to math and physics. Socially I am approachable, and by no means shy, but I do find difficulty in finding meaningful friendships. Most people I meet are simply acquaintances, I don't quite know them well enough for them to want to invite me to "hang out" (hanging out? what's that?!), but I do know that I have the ability to ask them if I know they're headed someplace. Just haven't found many such opportunities. But I have adopted more of an open-minded outlook on life, to challenge my social comfort zones and all that. Life's always a work in progress.

Some hobbies... again I love math and physics, and also love to read things about astrophysics and general relativity. I am a brass musician, mostly trumpet and french horn, and I still play in my university's band. I also do some novice photography, mostly things and places rather than people. I'll probably put my Flickr link in my profile sometime soon :)

What concerns me these days, are the things in life I seem to miss that others find trivial. I'm sure a lot of people with Asperger's may have this problem. Like for example, I often cannot fully process verbal instructions. I catch bits and pieces, but usually not the whole thing. Or I'll drive the wrong way because I'm used to going that direction (like on autopilot). Are these Asperger's issues, or just general quirks? Is there some way to deal with them? Some routine that can help me think more logically in these situations? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Well, I had mentioned to someone the other day about always taking the same route when going somewhere- even when I learn of a quicker one. I have a sort of autopilot thing going on for that, I find new directions very stressful. I think no one gives verbal directions very clearly (my biggest pet peeve happens when people give me "shortcut" directions to routes I'm familiar with. They're usually just weirder for no reason).

I'm not sure if it's the same thing, but it might be similar.

Anyhow, welcome BoundlessStars. :)

I'll drive the wrong way because I'm used to going that direction (like on autopilot). Are these Asperger's issues, or just general quirks? Is there some way to deal with them? Some routine that can help me think more logically in these situations? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Hey, Jordan Dude.

Man, I have always had problems following directions streetwise. Never came to think of it as an aspie trait. What works for me is: (1) have a cellphone with me; (2) drive slower and try to catch the name of the streets, if I'm not really familiar with the neighborhood. Lucky me I've got a keen sense of direction. But I can't help thinking that everyone who gives me instructions is never detailed enough. Sorry I didn't help. Welcome to AC!

New Threads

Top Bottom