• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A Good News story

I have long thought that the primary goals of therapy should be more along the lines of understanding interpersonal communication, and giving support and instruction when needed,...not changing the person, per se.

Given some time on the forums here,...and observing the types of threads and posts,...these seem to all fall under the categories I mentioned above. You be you,...have access to help when/if you need it,...and obtain some understanding of the people around you.

Of course, many of us have our sensory issues to deal with,...a separate topic of discussion.

Good news indeed. If I'd been part of a team that wanted to apply my talents, it could have become a big company. Now I'm retired and trying to just give away easily-verified, multi-million dollar ideas, and still getting ignored.

Had it been available growing up, I think some assistance with navigating the social could have been valuable. I never acted neurotypical and i am happy that I was never forced into that as now I see the advantages of what my thinking allowed me to do. Guidance in understanding myself socially and assistance in meeting what I needed would have saved me a lot of grief. But would I have gotten to this good place I am now at or would it have just created another unimaginative drone happy with the status quo? I see too many NTs whose cultural tastes are fossilized at their teen years.

Good news indeed. If I'd been part of a team that wanted to apply my talents, it could have become a big company. Now I'm retired and trying to just give away easily-verified, multi-million dollar ideas, and still getting ignored.
I'm intrigued! What ideas do you have? :)

I've given up trying to explain some concepts to people. It's clear they just have no frame of reference for a lot of the things I understand.

If there's some problem that needs to be solved, like say something electrical. I will basically have to wait until others have exhausted their efforts with bad ideas and given up, before I just fix the darned thing lol!

"Autism affects about one in 100 people, but only about 2 percent receive a formal diagnosis."

Yup. And before the 1990s that was probably closer to 0.2% Unless you were practically incapacitated, they didn't even consider it.

I'm intrigued! What ideas do you have? :)

I've given up trying to explain some concepts to people. It's clear they just have no frame of reference for a lot of the things I understand.

If there's some problem that needs to be solved, like say something electrical. I will basically have to wait until others have exhausted their efforts with bad ideas and given up, before I just fix the darned thing lol!
Tiny sample:

Laptops need small USB flash drives so they don't get knocked off, but the caps are easy to lose. Solution - one big cap of normal thumb drive size, with room for three small drives. I call mine home, work, and share.

Ships' propellers are sized for clearance in harbour. If they deployed a larger one in deeper water, they would get > 20% better mileage. The more water you push on, the less it is running away from you. Marine architects have been using the Betz limit instead of the Froude equations, even though it is clearly misapplied and giving "impossible" results. My test boats won races right away.

Windmills would go in faster and cheaper with guy wires up the tower as far as possible. That goes double for offshore towers.

Undersea generators should be on moorings, not posts. That way they can fly to the bottom to clear shipping, and to the surface for service, with much lower installation cost.

A land vehicle should carry more than it weighs. Most of a car is hauling image and fear, not physical needs. I built one using controlled flex in the frame to give fine suspension without all the separate parts used now.

"Self driving" should begin with just controlled-access express lanes, with cars, trucks, and delivery robots automatically assembled into almost-touching trains in perfect safety. You just engage the system at an entrance ramp to get slotted into a passing gap, and punch in your exit. Vehicles could recharge, and drivers relax. One lane does the work of many, and reduces wind resistance losses.

Last edited:
Tiny sample:

Laptops need small USB flash drives so they don't get knocked off, but the caps are easy to lose. Solution - one big cap of normal thumb drive size, with room for three small drives. I call mine home, work, and share.

Ships' propellers are sized for clearance in harbour. If they deployed a larger one in deeper water, they would get > 20% better mileage. The more water you push on, the less it is running away from you. Marine architects have been using the Betz limit instead of the Froude equations, even though it is clearly misapplied and giving "impossible" results. My test boats won races right away.

Windmills would go in faster and cheaper with guy wires up the tower as far as possible. That goes double for offshore towers.

Undersea generators should be on moorings, not posts. That way they can fly to the bottom to clear shipping, and to the surface for service, with much lower installation cost.

A land vehicle should carry more than it weighs. Most of a car is hauling image and fear, not physical needs. I built one using controlled flex in the frame to give fine suspension without all the separate parts used now.

"Self driving" should begin with just controlled-access express lanes, with cars, trucks, and delivery robots automatically assembled into almost-touching trains in perfect safety. You just engage the system at an entrance ramp to get slotted into a passing gap, and punch in your exit. Vehicles could recharge, and drivers relax. One lane does the work of many, and reduces wind resistance losses.
I considered a similar propeller idea a long time ago. My idea was that you had a small propeller and a cage that could be deployed over the prop shaft with essentially blade extensions that meshed on top of the smaller ones and then using a series of cantilevers the cage meshed with the prop shaft. I thought of it for light airplanes (this was a very long time ago mind) the idea was when you reach cruising altitudes you just have the big propellers ticking over. I have no idea if any of my idea was sound at all lol!

I considered a similar propeller idea a long time ago. My idea was that you had a small propeller and a cage that could be deployed over the prop shaft with essentially blade extensions that meshed on top of the smaller ones and then using a series of cantilevers the cage meshed with the prop shaft. I thought of it for light airplanes (this was a very long time ago mind) the idea was when you reach cruising altitudes you just have the big propellers ticking over. I have no idea if any of my idea was sound at all lol!
A helicopter has to stop in the air and just depend on air circulation it creates for lift, so it has the biggest blades. For maximum acceleration, an aircraft would use progressively smaller propeller area as it gained speed. Long-range drones switch to using wings at speed, but they are hobbled by the VTOL requirement more than they would be by landing gear. That's one of the reasons the F-35 is such a dog, and the Harrier is out of production.
Those giant rockets start off at zero efficiency, and the first stages never get to 10%. We use them because they are a cheap way to lift a huge load, but the job could also be done by a stack of retired jumbo jets using refuelling-boom tricks to get hooked up to a single elevator cable which would then snatch the 2nd stage from a souped-up truck.

New Threads

Top Bottom