• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A Cure...?

What say you?

• Autism is always bad and should be cured/prevented, whenever possible.

• ASD is ND. Seeking prevention/cure of grievous co-morbid conditions should be allowed.

• ASD is ND. All co-morbid conditions should be so embraced no matter how debilitating they are.

• Other (explain in post)

• I do not wish to say.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Okey after spending a few hours trying to get this right it seems i managed to mix the DSM 5 and ICD-10 together as been stated :oops::oops::oops::oops:

THANK you all for finally explaining this for me so i can finally get this right in my head :p and again my deep apologies for the mix ups :oops::oops::oops::oops:

Last edited:
Anxiety and depression are not "part of" autism in my view. Anyone would get anxious and depressed from being treated the way we are treated.

If there were cures then who's going to care about our right to not get abused?

Autism is fine. It's neurotypicals that are hell. Sure, "not all neurotypicals", but when their children bully us it's all "oh, that's what children do", so they do consider that behavior natural. Conformity is too much a part of them for them to consider alternatives, and that's a majority. Maybe we should cure them of that instead.

Now there's an idea! Isn't it strange that no one seems to be demanding that "someone" do something to treat, alleviate or cure conditions that (for example) lead to children being bullied and/or manipulated in school (ex. sociopathy)? Funny about that. It's always those "nasty, asocial autistics" who bear the brunt of society's inability to deal with difference, because they - the intolerant ones - prefer to live in their delusional little bubble where no one ever tells them the truth, because apparently honesty is taboo (or something), and we can't have people who consistently do that. People like us rock the boat too much, and our society demands conformity.

Admittedly I do not like having the condition I have, for various reasons, but at the same time the thought of becoming just another thoughtless, mindless consumerist drone, obsessed with "status", gossip and physical appearance, is simply unthinkable. God, what a nightmare of a life those poor people must have. It must be absolutely horrendous! :eek:

I selected "other", because what, exactly, would a "cure" be targeted towards eliminating? So many people have different ideas about autism, about what causes it, how it is defined and so on, and I simply do not trust those who pursue this because they see a fortune being made at some unspecified point in the future. Their motives are not pure, and that, to me, is everything.

A lot of my issues were caused by other people?

Like my depression and anxiety were caused by people thinking that I was weird and my mom getting upset when I'd act in a way that she found strange. Also from other's avoiding me because I was the weird girl at school.

I also have a stutter and that got me bullied at school which did no favors for my mental health.

Anxiety and depression should be treated. I've been on anti depressants and they have been a godsend.

I have sensory issues, I do not like loud noises. If someone slightly raised their voice at me I could be in tears. And I am sensitive to some smells and I don't like to be hugged or held particularly by people that are bigger than me. (side hugs are okay) I'm okay with my husband and my kids (and cuddling with my pets) but that's it. Yeah I could have those cured but it would be strange not to have them? The idea of enjoying a hug is so foreign to me and I feel like I can show affection in other ways.

So for much of my life I was told I had autistic tendencies. This bothered me. It bothered me a lot. It bothered me so much it bothered me more than anything else I can imagine. However, only lately has it seemed that I have some kind of diagnosis of autism. I had a doctor say I had "definite autistic tendencies." That's the most devastating thing I can imagine.

When I talk about autism, I often come across as hateful. I'm sorry about that. My only hate is self-directed. No matter how much I loath the idea of autism, when I look at a person with autism, I see a person who in no way is worthy of being hated. But the standards I hold myself to... my own self-image... this is where I can't fathom the idea of being autistic.

To that extent, having autistic tendencies has never bothered me. As long as I was ignorant of it, I was fine. Some people say "I was diagnosed and it all clicked." Well... no... not for me. Some people say "I just wish I had gotten help earlier." No... I was fine. Was I picked on in school? Um... not really. Not more than anyone else. Sure, I was different and maybe "weird" but that was a conscious choice. I thought normalcy was boring and I was always a class clown. But I never had any problems. All was fine.

It was not until the accusations of autism started to be leveled against me that I became heavily self-destructive.

So this leads me to my next line of thought: It is always said that curing autism is impossible. I'm not sure that is true. The problem is that the second part of the statement is "At all costs."

Both my grandmother and grandfather had dementia. They slowly withdraw from the world. Before they died, they were still capable of experiencing happiness and still aware, but not entirely. My grandmother could still recognize me, but she sometimes struggled for my name. In most settings she had less than complete awareness of her surroundings. When she was home, she knew where she was. Anywhere else, she became confused. My grandfather was worse. Before he died, he had almost no ability to respond to stimulation.

I believe a person in that kind of condition could never be evaluated as autistic. They can't meet the clinical criteria for autism. There's not enough cognition to have any kind of meaningful evaluation. And if they could? Well, I guess then their cognition needs to decline even more. You certainly can't call a person in a persistent vegetative state autistic, right? But... you'd never need go to that far with it either.

So, this means, in a sense, we do have a cure! Neuro-ablation can do this. It can be done completely non-invasive through a cranial irradiation routine. If we do enough of this, we surpass the clinically meaningful autistic diagnosis. Now that might not be a "cure" but it would work.

Has anyone else ever considered this angle? Yes, I know it sounds insane. I know that. And I want to be clear that I would never ever think that this should be imposed on anyone.

Because I am totally aware that this is a method that seems irrational, is reversible and would likely qualify as "self harm" it's not something I'm planning on. At least not any time soon. But to me, it offers hope. It's something worth exploring.

I look to autism with loathing, disgust and revolution, but only in myself. Others who have it, I normally look at and I see someone who is different, but not worthy of changing.

And I believe that I would only need to lose a portion of my cognitive abilities to possibly no longer be diagnose as being on the spectrum.

Cure for Autism? Won't happen.

I disagree with you. The implication is that a cure is impossible, and that's not true. There is a hypothetical way that could definitely, 100% cure it.

If neurons could be addressed, individually, and they could be modified on a cell by cell basis then, yes, absolutely, it could be cured. If we could re-wire the brain it could be cured.

This is years, decades, maybe centuries, beyond current technology. It's Star Trek stuff. But it could happen, if some kind of nano-technology, lets say nanoscopic wires that grow into the entire structure of the brain, could be created.

As I said, this is absolute sci-fi, but that does not mean it is impossible. In 1903, we had aircraft that could barely stay off the ground and 40 years later we had jets. Sometimes technology does progress that fast.

So it is hope. There is hope.

In various other threads, people seem to be very polarized on this question. Instead of trying to suss out each position indirectly, I created this poll so people could say so directly.

I am not talking about differences in intelligence. A simple distinction would be depression or anxiety.

Do you believe
  • That the presence of depression/anxiety makes all autism bad?
  • That one may oppose depression/anxiety while still embracing autistic neuro-diversity?
  • That autistics should embrace their depression/anxiety as part of the complete package?
I voted "other" because I'm too stupid to know what ND or co-morbid means, but I DO embrace and accept my neurodiversity while opposing to my anxiety and depression, ESPECIALLY because not all autistics have anxiety and depression (the "low functioning" ones seem to lack that). I wish I could be one of those happy autistics.

I voted "other" because I'm too stupid to know what ND or co-morbid means, but I DO embrace and accept my neurodiversity while opposing to my anxiety and depression, ESPECIALLY because not all autistics have anxiety and depression (the "low functioning" ones seem to lack that). I wish I could be one of those happy autistics.

Knowledge isn't the same as intelligence. If it were--

ND= the word you used in the same sentence, "neurodiversity"

Co-morbid= old term for "co-occuring," meaning two or more diagnoses.

--if it were, then you just went from stupid to not-stupid just by reading this post, which is a little weird, I think!

Knowledge isn't the same as intelligence. If it were--

ND= the word you used in the same sentence, "neurodiversity"

Co-morbid= old term for "co-occuring," meaning two or more diagnoses.

--if it were, then you just went from stupid to not-stupid just by reading this post, which is a little weird, I think!
I feel I have gotten a little smarter cause I learned an abbreviation and a word. But now that I know, I can go change my vote.

A lot of my issues were caused by other people?

Like my depression and anxiety were caused by people thinking that I was weird and my mom getting upset when I'd act in a way that she found strange. Also from other's avoiding me because I was the weird girl at school.

I also have a stutter and that got me bullied at school which did no favors for my mental health.

Anxiety and depression should be treated. I've been on anti depressants and they have been a godsend.

I have sensory issues, I do not like loud noises. If someone slightly raised their voice at me I could be in tears. And I am sensitive to some smells and I don't like to be hugged or held particularly by people that are bigger than me. (side hugs are okay) I'm okay with my husband and my kids (and cuddling with my pets) but that's it. Yeah I could have those cured but it would be strange not to have them? The idea of enjoying a hug is so foreign to me and I feel like I can show affection in other ways.
Same here, except for the stutter! Also, I'm single and only in college. I have no intention of finding relationships. Anyway, that's part of where my anxiety and depression comes from. So does my stand offish attitude towards people in general. (I.e. Someone staring at me would be given a death glare in return.) I HATE staring NTs! They are rude, and when they stare, it's always a judgment. (What other reason would people stare at someone who is different?) In my head, I'm like "Yeah, I'm weird, *****! You got a problem with that, *****?" Especially if they're giving me a dirty look. My depression (AFTER getting my autism diagnosis) just now only comes from my bad luck and my sensory disorder. The bad luck part is because for my whole life, it's always been like I was cursed. Everything went wrong for me. Even good things. Before getting a diagnosis, I always thought I was stupid, defective, and probably a monster. I used to wish I was normal and loved by peers. Then I was like "being weird isn't all bad, but I hate everyone except animals. Even myself cause I can't do anything right." Then after my diagnosis, I'm like "So I've just been mentally different this whole time? That's a relief! I thought something was seriously wrong with me!"

I disagree with you. The implication is that a cure is impossible, and that's not true. There is a hypothetical way that could definitely, 100% cure it.

If neurons could be addressed, individually, and they could be modified on a cell by cell basis then, yes, absolutely, it could be cured. If we could re-wire the brain it could be cured.

This is years, decades, maybe centuries, beyond current technology. It's Star Trek stuff. But it could happen, if some kind of nano-technology, lets say nanoscopic wires that grow into the entire structure of the brain, could be created.

As I said, this is absolute sci-fi, but that does not mean it is impossible. In 1903, we had aircraft that could barely stay off the ground and 40 years later we had jets. Sometimes technology does progress that fast.

So it is hope. There is hope.
But that means you can change someone's personality as well. Autism is another part of our personality. If I wasn't autistic, I wouldn't be me. Not the part of me that I actually love.

I don't think I saw that post. "Rewiring the brain" isn't "curing autism" it's making a new person.

I don't think I saw that post. "Rewiring the brain" isn't "curing autism" it's making a new person.
In an attempt to get rid of another person's Autism, perhaps?

In this context, that would be the reason why a doctor would re-wire an Autistic (most likely child that can't consent to the procedure) would "re-wire" the brain of said (most likely under 18) person.

Also, if a cure does come out, a parent cannot have the required procedures done on their Autistic child(ren) if said child(ren) does not give written or verbal consent to the procedure. Another requirement is the child has to be old enough to understand what will be happening to him/her, or is otherwise capable of understanding what the procedure would entail. The child also has to be asked if he/she consents to the "cure" in front of at least 3 medical staff, and his parent(s)/guardian(s) cannot prompt him/her to say yes or otherwise pressure the child to do so.

Same here, except for the stutter! Also, I'm single and only in college. I have no intention of finding relationships. Anyway, that's part of where my anxiety and depression comes from. So does my stand offish attitude towards people in general. (I.e. Someone staring at me would be given a death glare in return.) I HATE staring NTs! They are rude, and when they stare, it's always a judgment. (What other reason would people stare at someone who is different?) In my head, I'm like "Yeah, I'm weird, *****! You got a problem with that, *****?" Especially if they're giving me a dirty look.

I've experienced this so much during when I was in elementary and middle school. I hate it. It's uncomfortable. And, whenever I tell them to stop or ask somebody else to stop, they just tell me to deal with it. If I asked multiple times, I no matter how politely, I would be punished, not them.

My depression (AFTER getting my autism diagnosis) just now only comes from my bad luck and my sensory disorder. The bad luck part is because for my whole life, it's always been like I was cursed. Everything went wrong for me. Even good things. Before getting a diagnosis, I always thought I was stupid, defective, and probably a monster. I used to wish I was normal and loved by peers. Then I was like "being weird isn't all bad, but I hate everyone except animals. Even myself cause I can't do anything right." Then after my diagnosis, I'm like "So I've just been mentally different this whole time? That's a relief! I thought something was seriously wrong with me!"
I've also had a very depressed state that go very dangerous due to the fact I didn't know how to express my feelings properly and when. If you want to know more, I feel it's more appropriate for me to create a separate post for it because, if not, everybody will be scrolling down this page of this thread for a LOOOONG time. I am fortunately feeling much better now. Because of how my dangerous my depressed feelings got back then, wouldn't it be more reasonable to find a good way to cure depression?
But that means you can change someone's personality as well. Autism is another part of our personality. If I wasn't autistic, I wouldn't be me. Not the part of me that I actually love.
I agree. I think Autism is just a part of who I am. That is because it makes me unique. I found out that I have a much more different personality than my parents compared to my older, non-autistic siblings. Why in the world would I give away such a big of who I am today?

I've experienced this so much during when I was in elementary and middle school. I hate it. It's uncomfortable. And, whenever I tell them to stop or ask somebody else to stop, they just tell me to deal with it. If I asked multiple times, I no matter how politely, I would be punished, not them.

I've also had a very depressed state that go very dangerous due to the fact I didn't know how to express my feelings properly and when. If you want to know more, I feel it's more appropriate for me to create a separate post for it because, if not, everybody will be scrolling down this page of this thread for a LOOOONG time. I am fortunately feeling much better now. Because of how my dangerous my depressed feelings got back then, wouldn't it be more reasonable to find a good way to cure depression?

I agree. I think Autism is just a part of who I am. That is because it makes me unique. I found out that I have a much more different personality than my parents compared to my older, non-autistic siblings. Why in the world would I give away such a big of who I am today?
Yeah, and this is ironically coming from someone who has depression (me).

Yeah, and this is ironically coming from someone who has depression (me).
I'm confused, what do you mean by this line?

Also, I don't feel any symptoms of depression anymore ever since I got a therapist. My best friend's Mom actually recommended her to my Mom. My best friend is also on the spectrum.

I think it was just a temporary thing for me. I am pretty sure I wasn't diagnosed with depression, either.

Do you think that it is okay for auties to seek a cure/prevention for their side problems, like learning disability?
IK this question was asked to somebody else, but here are my thoughts:

I DO think it is okay for Autistics such as ourselves to find a cure/prevention/treatment to all our co-occurant problems and diagnoses. I have already stated my reasoning above.

New Threads

Top Bottom