• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A constant need for validation and attention

Butterfly88

Jello Queen
V.I.P Member
I feel I have a constent need for validation and attention, both online and in person. Part of it might be because I don't have any close real life friends. Is this an autism thing? I've not been getting much attention today and I am feeling depressed and worthless. Is this normal? Maybe I should talk to my therapist about it?

I have to fight that need. As it applies to me, I believe it may be low self-esteem. Yes, talk to your therapist about this. I've mentioned it to mine.

I feel I have a constent need for validation and attention, both online and in person. Part of it might be because I don't have any close real life friends. Is this an autism thing? I've not been getting much attention today and I am feeling depressed and worthless. Is this normal? Maybe I should talk to my therapist about it?

As with all things on the Autism Spectrum, we are all different, but there is a tendency towards black and white thinking.

So when things occur things are either great or terrible, and we either feel great or terrible, and this ties in with so many people on the Spectrum having depression and the lows are really deep lows.

So there can be a need for constant reassurance, to keep us positive.

I would mention this to your therapist as there are techniques which are supposed to help, there is no miracle cure but with hard work and effort things can get better.
Even by posting this you are doing really well.

I honestly don't know if it's an ASD thing but I know I feel the same way and when I don't get the validation I feel like I'm not liked and am alone and get really depressed. It matters to me more with some people than others though. I get attached to certain people and want their constant love and attention even though we're not dating or anything and feel rejected when they don't give me that constantly.
I have been through a recent marriage breakdown so I think to some extent I'm compensating for feelings of low self esteem and abandonment.

I notice that if I haven't had much in the way meaningful interactions with other humans I experience an increasingly intense desire for interaction that involes a response from someone/something else. I don't know if it's connected to autism or not.

I've wondered if having a pet might satisfy this need or whether it needs to be a response from a human.

(edited for typo)

Last edited:
I notice that if I haven't had much in the way meaningful interactions with other humans I experience an increasingly intense desire for interaction that involes a response from someone/something else. I don't know if it's connected to autism or not.

I've wondered if having a pet might satisfy this need or whether in needs to be a response from a human.
Pets are known to be good for humans. I have a cat that's near and dear to me. I rescued her or I should say she rescued me when I was 25. I am 39 now and she is an old girl who is healthy save for being blind.

My cat is excellent because she keeps my focus outward instead of inward. We have a lazy Saturday and Sunday afternoon ritual. I watch TV and she curls up in my lap to sleep. She relaxes me. I know that I do not have much more time to spend with her so every minute is precious.

New Threads

Top Bottom