• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

911 call...........

I don't think there is the right answer here at the end of the day. Technically, the only lives we're responsible for are our own, our pets and small children. But the guilt doesn't care. It's always there for any perceived 'fault', a not so simple effect of upbringing and past experiences.

Our job is to learn to differentiate between deserved and undeserved guilt, as well as manage the constructive and unconstructive.

It's good to analyse these kinds of situations and work them out.

I would probably let him go as well. It was his decision, just like it's my old neighbour's decision to keep walking around outside throughout the day despite the virus. I would most probably respect that.

You're a really kind person. Not many would care in any way about an old, poor alcoholic's health. You let him know you could help if he allowed you to. That's enough.

Some people medicate daily. I had several ladies who drank because they stuck in marriages they couldn't leave due to their age and economics. They felt they were wouldn't survive if on their own. That's pretty bad.

I started drinking around things related to the one roommate I mentioned in the other thread. It was just supposed to be a temporary solution to deal with horrible anxiety, but 7 years later and I'm still drinking

I imagine that it's a bit like this for others. Something happens and one looks for desperate temporary solutions, and then before you know it becomes a way of life.

You probably would have to do the equivalent of hold the guy down if he was a devoted enough alcoholic, because going to the hospital where he couldn't drink and would have to go through withdrawal might have seemed unimaginable to him

Last edited:
Thank you @only thing. I was trying for the most responsible way to handle it without opening up myself or the store to liability issues. But homelessness brings a different flavor then a customer sitting at a bar. You are required to quickly evaluate the customer before they leave the store. In a bar situation, you can quiz them and judge their response to see if they are already toasted. The store l worked at had a higher price then most stores, so our boss wanted kiss-butt customer service to boot. But during spring break, l might throw out 2 fake licenses a day. Young people who didn't know their zip code, or their license was weird. The other surprising aspect? People treat you like you're a bartender, and start telling you their problems.

Since he was speaking clearly, I believe I would have let him go.

I just didn't want to be the reason he took his last breath. It turned out he had a lung infection so he detoxed then stayed longer for that issue. I guess we never know how close people are to the edge. I had to take someone else to the emergency room and they were mins from slipping into a diabetic coma. When life comes at you - it slams you hard.

I just didn't want to be the reason he took his last breath. It turned out he had a lung infection so he detoxed then stayed longer for that issue. I guess we never know how close people are to the edge. I had to take someone else to the emergency room and they were mins from slipping into a diabetic coma. When life comes at you - it slams you hard.

I just kind of think that when you are dealing with someone who has completely given in to hard core addiction issues, it’s a different animal and it’s not normal human reasoning. Like people lose everything or prostitute themselves or rob stores or go to jail or risk death repeatedly to keep their drug habits going.

Like this going to the hospital and not being able to drink and going through withdrawal, probably sounded about as unimaginable as if your car was suddenly taken away from you and you had to walk to work or something. It’s like the persons way of life is drugs or alcohol or whatever, and by cutting this off, you are changing their way of life

Like just my 2 cents on this as someone who wants to quit but alcohol and cigarettes and caffeine are how I deal with life and stress and frustration and so on. It’s very scary to have to change basic things people get used to that keep us going or something.

It’s not your fault at all about this guy. He probably, at the time, would have rather risked death than go to the hospital and not be able to drink.

Menopause drove me to it but im over that now. Not very good at embedding vids on android but...if I was I'd embed Desmond Dekker doing ' trouble and misery'

Look at the result: He did not need it, so you had chosen wisely. Congratulate yourself. We are here also to learn about ourselves, love ourselves and be happy with ourselves. Enjoy every opportunity to celebrate. Cheers : )

I probably would have handled it the same way. Calling 911 on someone who doesn't have a clear emergency can cause problems like him getting upset and filing a complaint.

New Threads

Top Bottom