• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

54 year old Aspie diagnosed one month ago

LouisK

I am a 54 year old man who was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome just one month ago. I was also diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I also suffer from depression.

I am single, never married and live alone. I have a decent job but no social life. I have many friends at work and am actually quite popular. But once I leave work I am almost totally alone.

I am currently going through counseling for several different issues.

My goals are to learn how to best live with my condition, establish a few friendships outside of work and date some women.

I have joined this forum in the hopes of learning from others living with similar issues.

Louis

Welcome, Louis!

I'm 54, I learned of my HFA at the age of 50. I have OCD tendencies as well, and I struggle with depression. So, you're in good company here. Lots of great people here from whom to learn. Hope you enjoy your stay! :)

Total baby here...one month off 53!! :p Diagnosed at 35 but buried it for 15 years. I'm glad I found some sanity now & I'm glad I'm part of this community. Someone on here said recently that progress comes through self-awareness & I think that has to be true. Welcome along LouisK :)

Total baby here...one month off 53!! :p Diagnosed at 35 but buried it for 15 years. I'm glad I found some sanity now & I'm glad I'm part of this community. Someone on here said recently that progress comes through self-awareness & I think that has to be true. Welcome along LouisK :)

Thank you! I appreciate those comments.

Welcome, Louis!

I'm 54, I learned of my HFA at the age of 50. I have OCD tendencies as well, and I struggle with depression. So, you're in good company here. Lots of great people here from whom to learn. Hope you enjoy your stay! :)
Thanks Cali Cat!

Welcome, LouisK! I am 50, so you are in good company here. ;) Please feel at home here. :rose::sunflower::cherryblossom:

Welcome to AC :)
I agree with Sportster,but he didn't mention this AARP type that plays the straight autie card...
I'll let him slide this time ;)
56 and livin' the dream :cool:

I'm 53 and hence, are considering AARP Services.

Services appropriate for middle-aged ASD adults can share similarities to services offered to senior citizens. For example, many seniors can self-advocate, yet periodically need the help of trusted professionals.

Too many services for developmental disabilities are geared towards people who have the greatest limitations to independence; and hence such services have very little (if any) experience with people with High Functioning Autism (HFA); who have least restrictions to independence.

Is AARP receptive towards developing services for (HFA) adults over fifty years of age?

Thank-you

I'm 53 and hence, are considering AARP Services.

Services appropriate for middle-aged ASD adults can share similarities to services offered to senior citizens. For example, many seniors can self-advocate, yet periodically need the help of trusted professionals.

Too many services for developmental disabilities are geared towards people who have the greatest limitations to independence; and hence such services have very little (if any) experience with people with High Functioning Autism (HFA); who have least restrictions to independence.

Is AARP receptive towards developing services for (HFA) adults over fifty years of age?

Thank-you
I signed up for AARP a few years ago Because I thought I could benefit from them.I was wrong.
The money I spent to join was used up sending me boatloads of mail that were of little use to me.Their magazine was filled with junk. It took me a year to block all the email traffic from them. The preferred automotive insurance is slow to respond and a farce. I wouldn't waste another dime on that organization.

Here are some other suggestions in this link https://www.soundmindinvesting.com/articles/view/seven-alternatives-for-seniors-fleeing-aarp

I found out just today the AARP is involved with that awful ALEC legislation. Another reason they are simply a lobbying organization that only pretends to have seniors best interests at heart.

Thank-you for your responses.

Drawing parallels from senior citizen services can also yield service options appropriate for all ASD adults.

Again, too many services for developmental disabilities are geared towards people who have the greatest limitations to independence.

Services geared toward senior citizens who can largely self-advocate on their own, yet on occasion need the assistance of a trusted advisors might just be a model for services concerned with developmental disabilities; that is services who need to understand and serve clientele with High Functioning Autism (HFA); who have least restrictions to independence.

Are there specific examples of services for the disabled consulting with senior citizen services? If not, get involved with both agencies serving the disabled, and local senior services, and at the same time, help our ourselves and our elder relatives!

Thank-you

Thank-you for your welcomes.

I'm posting to Aspies Central to determine if services geared toward senior citizens (who can live independently, yet on occasion need the assistance of a trusted advisors) might just be a model for services concerned with Aspergers.

Thank you,

Welcome aboard :)
full

New Threads

Top Bottom