• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

2019, still sucks to be me but (semi) retiring!

DocBee

Late diagnosis ASD person here.

28 years as a doctor, no malpractice, never a board complaint but lost job after job before my diagnosis due to meltdowns and inability to decode most types of social interaction.

I've paid off all my debts and now going to work 6 months out of the year in 2020 until I want to tap into my 401K/SEP IRA.

Have had my best four years working since my diagnosis (will be staying on in their temp pool) and wouldn't change it for the world but I'm tired of 2-3 weeks vacation and that's it.

No real advice needed or sought. I am more happy with the space I inhabit than I ever have been although feel I'll always be fundamentally different from the majority of humans.

Late diagnosis ASD person here.

28 years as a doctor, no malpractice, never a board complaint but lost job after job before my diagnosis due to meltdowns and inability to decode most types of social interaction.

I've paid off all my debts and now going to work 6 months out of the year in 2020 until I want to tap into my 401K/SEP IRA.

Have had my best four years working since my diagnosis (will be staying on in their temp pool) and wouldn't change it for the world but I'm tired of 2-3 weeks vacation and that's it.

No real advice needed or sought. I am more happy with the space I inhabit than I ever have been although feel I'll always be fundamentally different from the majority of humans.

Inspirational post! Good job!

Fifty-five when I discovered that both my husband and I were autistic. We both early retired.
So glad that our work life is over. No more stress or anxiety. Life is good now, I feel like a child again in a sixty year old body.

Last edited:
Fifty-five when I discovered that both my husband and I were autistic. We both early retired.
So glad that our work life is over. No more stress or anxiety. Life is good now, I feel like a child now in a sixty year old body.
I wish I was at your stage in life with no work anxiety and stress. Will keep on working towards my dream about being a well known artist in a somewhat fantasy type of escapism while I work. I’m fortunate that I have a job which supports this and to have a place there where I feel needed even though in more accurate terms we’re all just a number and are being used as dog bodies. I’ve less anxiety and stress these days than before though since changing departments which helps my productivity for the company and improve my own version of self worth.

lost job after job before my diagnosis due to meltdowns and inability to decode most types of social interaction
Translation: I finally refused to tolerate office politics and told off the boss. Amirite?

Good for you to lower your work demands. For a couple years I have only worked six months out of the year and I love the freedom and to hide in the house whenever I want to. As mentioned above, it's a very regressive, child-like feeling...but with money and a pretty girl that lets me touch her. Cheers to the best time of your life.

Thank you for the response.

I rarely let it out and I appreciate the feedback.

@Bolletje: Internal medicine is my specialty. Primarily complex geriatric cases. While I'll still be working some of the year, I won't have a consistent patient panel anymore. I will miss them.
Dr. Eh, yep. I saw myself as a crusader of right vs wrong. I went about communicating incorrectly on so many levels. I'm really psyched and scared for this moment.
Mia: I'm so excited, so many adventures await!

@Bolletje: Internal medicine is my specialty. Primarily complex geriatric cases. While I'll still be working some of the year, I won't have a consistent patient panel anymore. I will miss them.
Ah, that’s wonderful! I worked in internal medicine for a while, though I only saw the complex geriatric cases during my night shifts. I loved it but I ended up quitting because we were severely understaffed and overworked. Since that holds true for all hospitals in my country I’m currently not working in a hospital, but I really miss the job.

New Threads

Top Bottom