• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

2 YEARS :: Every single mintue , to learn please.

Timmy1

Hello,

I have about 2 more years of school left, and really I did not

Really, My eyes are wide open now, and for myself, I want to do all I can. I can motivate myself to the fullest, to spend every minute learning and helping to get the education.

Weather I have already not done enough school (missed too much), well all I know and I can do is now just for 2 years is SPEND every minute regarding school and learning, and put every sweat I have into it.

Question:
The main question is, during this time outside of school (when study,homework,etc) is complete what should I focus on (just do the school subjects,etc).

What exactly ?>.....

thank you.

You can accomplish a SIGNIFICANT amount in 2 years if you are spending a significant percentage of your day being involved in and learning about a particular subject.

To give you an idea, I started my current job as a low level, barely competent SEO analyst. I really didn't know nearly what I thought I did, and quickly realized that. Almost every single day, in addition to learning on the job, I would also spend an additional 3-6 hours per night just studying, learning everything I could about things related to that job. I asked myself what questions did I have or what tasks had I been asked to do that I didn't quite understand. I then went out, researched, experimented, and found those answers. In about 16 months I now became a Senior SEO Strategist, defining new strategies for the company, creating new and more effective ways to improve on the work we're doing.

I've met and interviewed people that have been in my industry for 8-12 years, that still weren't even at a base SEO Strategist level, because they never asked themselves those questions, never had enough self reflection to realize what they didn't know, and didn't have enough perseverance to spend hours per day working towards that knowledge. While other people are off having fun, doing extracurricular things, partying, etc., that's when the real work gets done by those that have the drive and self control to do it.

As far as what to focus on? For me, I've found that finding something to enjoy or get excited about, with the things I am trying to learn about, helps me quite a bit to have the drive to keep working towards it. Even if it means some days only getting 3 or 4 hours of sleep because you're on a knowledge binge and just happened to find out something really cool, if there's something you truly enjoy about it, you'll put that much effort into it.

When you say school, do you mean high school or do you mean college? And if you mean college, how is it being paid for? There is a world of difference between the two.

High school is more or less mandatory, and while you can drop out and not graduate, I honestly do not recommend it unless you have no other choice. The reason is, even entry level jobs require a high school diploma or a GED. I cannot tell you how many times I have been asked if my place is hiring and when I ask the person what skills and educational level they have, if they tell me they do not have a high school diploma, it's sorry, you cannot even get in the door to clean sh*t out of animal cages. That's about the lowest job they have there. But once you get in that door, if you hang in there long enough (a year minimum) and you like being in preclinical research, then you can start moving up the ladder and you can get educational help. But you need that high school diploma!

Now, college. Personally, I consider job skills more important than a college degree. Although a degree can open more doors than a high school diploma, it is possible with a little skill and luck to do pretty well without it. The key word is skill. Let's say for example, you major in LGBT studies. Well, that may be trendy, but personally, I don't know anyone who is hiring who is specifically looking for LGBT majors. Or a lot of other trendy liberal arts stuff. What that degree will do is put two letters after your name which will open doors, but not necessarily the doors you went into mountains of debt to open. You won't be cleaning cages but you will be writing scientific reports, provided you can write an intelligent sentence. It doesn't matter that you are not a science major, you have the letters after your name, and that gives you an advantage over someone like me who up until recently didn't, but has been there most of her adult life. It's not fair but that is the way things work.

So if you are in college, and especially if you are the one paying the bills, I see nothing wrong with taking some time off to evaluate where you are and what you want out of life. You might want to look into alternatives to college, such as trade schools or apprenticeships,

New Threads

Top Bottom