• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

12 YO blaming me for stress

WyKiki

Do you have anything to help with this? Have set up another joint session with my son's therapist.

I am not unduly stressing out my child. I support him so he's out of Defense Mode. His dad & I have separate homes, divorced. He is convinced that whenever he is with me, he feels stressed and last time, nauseous. And he's told me that nearly every time he's with me, since January.

I keep telling him it hurts me, it's not acceptable, it upsets me, etc. Additionally, his dad doesn't support being respectful toward me.

Last parenting time, he was feeling nauseous and said it was my fault. After telling him (again) that it's unacceptable to say that to me & trying numerous kind things (such as ginger tea), I let him go early, and he left himself logged into the computer. Normally I wouldn't look at his chat messages with family. I saw that he told his dad I was letting him go early, and dad said "me too." Stepmom was picking him up & listed the yummy things he got him from McDonald's. They were encouraging & celebrating him leaving my parenting time early.

I'm not easily offended. I've offered to troubleshoot the problem - get to the bottom of whatever might be in the house or in what I'm doing, to cause him stress. We've been to counseling. All he's said is "I don't know, it's subconscious."

The other day he said, he didn't know what I've done or what is going on at my house that would be causing it, he just feels stress or nausea and has no other explanation - so according to him, it must be me. He's claimed he doesn't feel it at dad's.

I told him by his logic, the consequences his dad & stepmom gave him, after he stole money a long time ago, would have caused him a permanent state of stress. They yelled at him, his dad threatened to get rid of his rabbits, they made him stay in his bedroom for days. He said no, that stress was temporary, it faded.

The only possible clue I have is, his Aspie dad said I used to "stress him out." He brought that up again recently. I don't know if he latched on to that idea and has internalized it in some way as a permanent condition. Psychosomatic?

His therapist doesn't see how I am causing him any unusual stress or anything. Nobody else around us, has either.

I've explained to him that what he's said hurts me, it insults me, and he just keeps saying things like "It’s not an insult, I’m stating that it’s stress, and nothing else would cause it. I’m stating what’s happening, not trying to make you feel bad." This has come up before, and I've told him, I'm glad you don't intend to make me feel bad. Nonetheless, it hurts, it's disrespectful, and this is not how we treat our parents. The nausea is real for him, and maybe he doesn't know what's causing it, and that's OK. But saying it must be me, because he can't figure out "another reason," is not OK.

When I ignore him, he repeats over & over, can I go to dad's. There are usually no other people in the house for him to focus on.

I have a mentor who is convinced my son is abusing me, and that my best option to establish boundaries (since his dad is unsupportive / unhelpful at best) is for him not to spend time with me.

If he shows up & doesn't want to be with me, I can send him right back to dad's, instead of waiting until he says that later into the time. Or I can make him stay, and take away computer time, not do anything special for fun, etc. or other consequences I've done before. But I'd be trying the same things that haven't changed the situation already.

Please help.

I'm not a parent. Also one question who in the family is on the autism spectrum?

I was wild, unwashed and very unreasonable at 12. For me the sexual abuse, from a neighbor, happened when I was ten. It was like a time bomb ticking away. My behavior turned violent at about 13-14 and got worse.

Sometimes trauma gets associated with a place, or a type of place. I think the answer is likely in therapy. Also is it possible for you to have your friends over during the visit? Nausea can be related to fear, or stress which is such a vague and sh@tty word. Stress I mean it's so unspecific.

Are you having adventures together? My mom basically smoked cigarettes and read novels when she didn't work. I read alot too. I was a grown man before I realized that I could count on one hand the times my parents had people over. I got the feeling they were ashamed of me. I never saw my mom relate to other adults. She is antisocial basically

I'm not a parent. Also one question who in the family is on the autism spectrum?

I was wild, unwashed and very unreasonable at 12. For me the sexual abuse, from a neighbor, happened when I was ten. It was like a time bomb ticking away. My behavior turned violent at about 13-14 and got worse.

Sometimes trauma gets associated with a place, or a type of place. I think the answer is likely in therapy. Also is it possible for you to have your friends over during the visit? Nausea can be related to fear, or stress which is such a vague and sh@tty word. Stress I mean it's so unspecific.

Are you having adventures together? My mom basically smoked cigarettes and read novels when she didn't work. I read alot too. I was a grown man before I realized that I could count on one hand the times my parents had people over. I got the feeling they were ashamed of me. I never saw my mom relate to other adults. She is antisocial basically

Who: his Dad, the one who has little respect for me, compounding the problems. Maybe I do as well, but if so, it's less obvious.

How you were at 12: Wow. Yeah, I was awful at age 12, with my mom. My parents had just divorced, and I'd been sexually, emotionally, & verbally abused. I've done a lot of work not to pass on trauma.

I know 12 year olds can be brats. I'm talking about something beyond that, that has gone on since January, ever. single. time, and I've reacted calmly. I've told him it's not acceptable. I've given consequences. I've ignored it. It's not getting better. It's not even changing. So I'm considering giving him what he wants: when he doesn't want to be with me, fine, let Dad take you right back.

Trauma: I'm sorry you went through that. I doubt he has any significant trauma.

Adventures: heck yes. His friends come over. I'm still working on organizing my house after moving in (it's not in incredible disarray, that's not a factor), so the only people I've invited over have been the kids across the street. But we do things with other people quite a bit. Most recently I took him camping, which was full of kids & full of adventures. So much so, that he didn't once ask to go to his Dad's - and I was shocked that he did so well without screen time - until I was driving home, chatting pleasantly, and then he said, take me to my Dad's. I hear what you're saying, I had a mom who was very tired & weak & loved to watch TV I considered boring, bleah. So I was determined for us to have fun stuff going on. Possibly too much. Maybe he just needs to be incredibly bored for a while.

As parents, we all need to stop caring what a tween thinks of us. They all scream "I hate you!" "You don't understand!" yadda yadda yadda. It cuts to the heart, but we all go through it. They'll even do a fair bit of shoving or hitting. They are two year olds all over again, trying to see what they can get away with, and where mom and dad's boundaries are. Don't just send him away because his behavior is inconvenient.

He is learning that the whole world doesn't revolve around him, and that's the most painful lesson there is.

Right now you need to show your love by being strong. This is less about needing a counselor, and more about needing a parent who loves them so much. And tells them that every day, but puts their foot down at any disrespect.

Yes. I'm not that sensitive. A lot rolls off of me. I'm talking about behavior that, if I were dating a man, would signal to him that I would put up with this kind of crap, since he keeps coming back & keeps doing the same thing since January & apparently I'm allowing it. It's not improving.

To those of you who have husbands, no matter how much they frustrate you, be grateful you have Fathers who endorse Mom.

The therapist visit, originally, was for me to take the advice in the book Divorce Poison in the chapter on Letting Go, to read him a letter letting him know I am still there when he wants to come back, but that I am not going to tolerate his behaviors anymore. So he can't say "oh Mom abandoned me" - no, Mom just can't keep tolerating this junk anymore, so when you're ready to show love & respect again, you can resume parenting time.

If the father is disrespectful to woman, it feels like you lost the battle.

Because the son is calling the shots. If you aren't doing this then it's time for me to go. Then it's a power play. Is child support payments on the backend of all this?

Will you lose out on child support if he doesn't come over? Just asking, after l went thru a very tricky divorce. My ex stole all the financial papers, l had to sneak his w2 out just to file for alimony.

Last edited:
If the father is disrespectful to woman, it feels like you lost the battle.

Because the son is calling the shots. If you aren't doing this then it's time for me to go. Then it's a power play. Is child support payments on the backend of all this?
Not with a twelve year old. He has barely started puberty- or Middle School for that matter. Keep on him. Be firm, but super loving. Lay down the law, but let him have fun when he's good.

Edit: I was just thinking. It's summertime. What you two need is a real bonding experience. Take a drive (or a greyhound ride) somewhere far away. Stay in a motel that has a pool. Do fun stuff together. On the way, some real talking will happen, and you'll get along so well.

Edit #2: Don't let your experience with men mark your opinion of the behavior of a 12 year old little boy. Yes, he's a little boy still, and clearly behaves like one too. Be the mama he needs. Cuddly yet firm. Lay down the law, but don't forget that even cops just "let this one go" every once in a while.

Last edited:
It could just be theater. If he is being rewarded for "getting out" early, it is easy to see him doing a little act to get what they all apparently want. At that age, I skipped a lot of school that way.

Each child is different, but very few ever wanted their parents to divorce. In my experience as a relationship therapist, children do have reactions sometimes that last a while, despite that for the adults it may be done and dusted. The child can't explain it.

But I would generally see this type of thing as simply a symptom of the distress the child's experienced, and seeing it in that light, just accept it, and try not to tell him your feelings if possible. Responses like, oh dear, that's difficult for us when you feel bad, but I am so happy to be with you, let's do some stuff and I hope you feel better.

Ride it out, however long it persists. It's not so much about you, is the important thing to remember, as about his general unease with what's happened, which in some form he can express to his mum. It's not a rejection, it's a call for reassurance, and a bit of a return to a younger state in his way of expressing it.

I'd be interested to hear what you think about that idea, on reflection, and also how this divorce is affecting you? What are your feelings to the dad?

I raised two boys,...the two personalities are quite different. How they handled stress,...or didn't,...were different. It is difficult to give any potential advice not knowing the child or how he handles the day-to-day stressors in life.

Often, for one reason or another, a child will tend to prefer to be with one parent or another. We can have a very long discussion on that topic alone, so many variables, and often, these things can go in phases. Often, mothers and sons develop a more loving relationship once the boy reaches his teenage years and begins to think at a higher level. During those early childhood years, dads are fun, they play, they do "guy things", etc,....when moms are more the disciplinarian. The other dynamic which children can observe and imitate, is the behavior of their divorced parents. If the child is more bonded to one parent, and that parent is frequently expressing anger and frustration over the behavior of the other,...it plays out in the observant child. Depending upon the age of the child, especially those pre-teen years,...there can be a lot of internalized anger and frustration that exhibits itself in all sorts of ways.

If he says he is stressed, he is! Do not gaslight a child. You should NEVER tell him that his feelings are wrong and that he cannot tell you ANYTHING. That is a great way to alienate him from you forever. HE can't even tell you how he's feeling???

You need to take him to a place he really likes and just look at Nature or tell him it is OK to feel ANYTHING. He has been through hell with parents divorcing and one pitting the other against the other. Tell him over and over whatever he feels is OK and that you love him no matter what, love him forever and ever and whenever you are together, you promise to do what he likes so he is not stressed.

Be a pillar, not a source of contention to your child!

I Raised two sons no issues, my brother in law raised two sons he got divorced one son has issues. getting divorced is high risk for messing up one of your sons. tread carefully.

How parents support or do not support one another even after a divorce is crucial. My ex was diagnosed narcissitic, egotistical, and passive aggressive. I had to "pay" for divorcing this abusive person and he used our children to get back at me. They had and still have no respect for me. And they learned to play us off each other to their own ends. Also Daddy had no problem buying their "affection".
Put your child first but set limits to unacceptable behavior. I was caught between a rock and a hard place because they always threatened to go live with Daddy if they were unhappy. I could not let that happen expecially as they were all girls and Daddy was abusive. At fourteen my middle daughter did go live with Daddy, as hard as I tried to prevent it from happening, and it was a disaster for her life. After twenty years she is finally pulling herself out of the downward spiral caused by that decision. I was asked "why don't you just walk away?" Because I loved my children enough to do the hard things, to do what needed to be done for their sake regardless of what happened to me, while their father played his games.
Sit down and have a conversation with your son. Tell him how his behavior makes you feel, once, don't belabor it and don't expect him to care, and set ground rules as to what is acceptable and what is not and have consequences that will be applied for unacceptable behavior. Don't allow him to trip your trigger. Just tell it like it is. You need to come across strong, calm and in control. It's not about you it is about what is best for him. Be aware of his manipulative behavior and decide what you will do about it. Don't reward it. Don't play into the game. You have to be the grown up here. Good luck.

He is the expert on what he is feeling, not you. You may not be intending to stress him out, but if he says you're stressing him out, safe to assume that you are. And responding to him expressing his emotions by verbally attacking him for how his emotions are making you feel is emotionally abusive. He's done all the right things to try to express this problem he's having without attacking you, but apparently simply feeling emotions you've deemed unacceptable is wrong. No wonder he's stressed!

hi i just being nice on you on your post you said McDonald's maby you need to change his diet around there is a book called tracking down hidden food allergy and anothe helpfull thing thare is a company called vibrans and one of the thing they sell is a thing called love you put some on your forehead and in about a minute you feel all happy again i have bean taking love for about 2 or 3 years and i feel happy when i take the love i hope you and your son have a verry verry happy day

New Threads

Top Bottom