• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your least favorite meals as a kid

Maybe similar to the huge blocks we had when I was a kid. So big it would go mouldy well before it was half finished. while we trimmed the worst of it off, I'm sure the reason we didn't get sick in those days was the large doses of penicillin we consumed :)
you just reminded me that it is time to clean the huge white petri dish in my kitchen I use for a refrigerator :p

My least favorite meal as a kid was, and still is, meatloaf. I don't like meatloaf and never have, and the side dishes my mom makes for it - fried potatoes, rolls, and canned corn - aren't very appealing either. For a while as a kid my mom would fix me my own meal along with theirs like grilled cheese but after a while she stopped doing that. I would be expected to eat what they ate and i hated it, cause every meal became a battle. I didn't, and still don't, like the texture of vegetables or meat. Yet she would fix my plate for me either before i got to the table or right as i got seated and put everything on it, and i'd be expected to try it and like it. Cause if i didn't surely i just wasn't trying hard enough.

Even now, I will literally pick all the meat out of spaghetti before i eat a single bite, even if i spend half my time at the table doing so. My mom used to critizise me for it but i think she either gave up or realized its cause i'm aspie. Its the texture not the taste that bugs me anyways.

Chinese as a little boy in Honkong one time my parents made me sit there in a restaurant in front of guests and choke down a plate full of strange disgusting slimy stuff.:confused: Oh the art of learning to sip enough water so you don't throw up in your mouth.:confused:

I have a tough time with liverwurst and used to have a tough time with bittermelon. Now I'll try to eat anything even if I don't like it because many things are an acquired taste. If you aren't allergic to it and don't like it, you should try to eat a little bit anyway if it's healthy for you like a vegetable. Maybe look up different ways to cook something. Like many vegetables can be stir fried which tends to go over better than boiled and tastes better. Use canola or grape seed oil to keep it healthy for stir fry.

Pork chops. There is something about that texture that just gives me the wiggins.
Hey Cerulean if you boyfriend gets tired of you marry me.:innocent:......:rolleyes: I promise you'll never have to see a Pork chop again as long as you live. Ha ha! sorry! a little kosher humor:D, (Bad Mael down boy.:dog:)

I hated milk. I could drink chocolate milk, but white milk was absolutely disgusting. I still don't drink it unless it's mixed in with coffee. And even then, if I drink too much (like when DH makes a homemade, milk-based mocha that absolutely love), it upsets my tummy. We've had to switch to coconut milk for my mochas. :)
And several others posting about milk or cream.

Not liking milk is very common. It usually relates to Lactose Intolerance.

Brussels Sprouts can be quite bitter. It depends on freshness, relative age of the sprout when picked, how it was cooked. I do a little serious cooking sometimes (from recipes; modify and adjust the recipes for fun and experiment. It usually goes well.) and have read about Brussels Sprouts. It only takes one bad encounter when we are small children to turn us off on a food for life.

My 'Top Of The 'Never' List' item is eggs. Soft or runny eggs are horrid beyond words. I can eat scrambled eggs but they must be cooked to a hard rubber state and mixed with something to help mask the taste. I hard-boil eggs for 10 minutes; then put steak sauce or Soy Sauce on the yolk to eat them. Salsa works for me on the eggs, too, but I have always loved tomatoes in any form. When I was small and through my teen years my favorite food was fried tomatoes.

After soft eggs my 'never' list is organ meats like liver or kidney. Cannot manage the taste of lamb. 'Lamb' is bad; 'mutton' is beyond limits. Chewing on fat or gristle makes me ill.

[QUOTE="Dusty285, and have read about Brussels Sprouts. It only takes one bad encounter when we are small children to turn us off on a food for life.
but I have always loved tomatoes in any form. When I was small and through my teen years my favorite food was fried tomatoes.[/QUOTE]

Hi dusty285, a good brussel sprouts should be sautayed in a frying pan with salt and butter until soft all the way through and the water should boil off at the end so they fry browned on the bottom like fried potatoes. Tell me more about your fried tomatoes sounds good.

Top of my list is eggs. They are disgusting in many ways, their taste, texture and smell. I can tolerate omelette a bit if it's cut up and mixed or flavoured with something else, and can eat chinese frid rice with omelette in it, but that's about it.

Liver, or any offal. The grissly or sinewy bits of meat. I used to spend ages carefully cutting even the smallest bit off my meat, and my dad used to tell me to just eat it, but I couldn't.

Milk. In the UK in the 70s the government had at one point a policy of providing free milk to schools, and the teachers used to make us drink it, whether we wanted it or not. It had been left out in the sun in the morning and was luke-warm, yuck!

Tomatoes.

I learned intolerance to milk as a toddler. Not due to any lactose intolerance, but because my family was transferred to the island of Guam at a time when only horrible powdered milk was available. I couldn't handle it. When we moved back to the mainland, my mother rejoiced that I could once again drink milk. Tried a glass of the real deal and spit it out. After that I never drank milk itself again without something to completely mask the original taste.

Most of my hated meals were from elementary school. Eating or even smelling them would make me vomit. Hot chocolate chip cookies, lasagna, meat and cheese nachos.

Corned beef and cabbage, tomatoes, mushrooms, peanut butter...you guys are making my mouth water :).

Seriously, though. As a kid, you could NOT feed me string beans, spinach, asparagus, or zucchini. I've learned to enjoy spinach over the years (especially when its raw), but I still avoid those other verdant abominations.

I spent my childhood on some kind of hunger strike, whining about everything. I remember my mom exploding on me one evening when I wouldn't eat the campbells tomato soup, but I had already explained to her on a previous occasion that I hated it, and anyway, she seemed ready to force it down my throat. I still can't eat that stuff. I had a hard time believing my eyes when I saw people drinking V8 juice as well. I like tomatoes fine, and have eaten other tomato soups that aren't salty and weird like campbells makes it, though not in the United States, I had to go to Europe to find them.

I think it is the salt. I noticed with sausage and hot dogs, I can eat one hot dog, but if I start on a second one it tastes like pure salt, and gets really hard to swallow.

SolyentHuman, nice to know you can't eat green beans either. They always made me gag, even today a raw green bean will trigger my gag reflex, but I can eat cooked ones, not that I ever want to.

"MicroWeiss, I remember my mom exploding on me one evening when I wouldn't eat the campbells tomato soup, but I had already explained to her on a previous occasion that I hated it, and anyway, she seemed ready to force it down my throat. I still can't eat that stuff.

SolyentHuman, nice to know you can't eat green beans either. They always made me gag, even today a raw green bean will trigger my gag reflex, but I can eat cooked ones, not that I ever want to.

I can't even stand the smell of greenbeans in the kitchen, my mom would cook broccoli which I hate, so she would take the broccoli and make broccoli cream soup in the blender and put it in front of me like it was some huge favor to me, nasty stuff, could barely get it down with out throwing up in my mouth. Bleh!

no imodicans this time, sorry thought you were joking last time.I'm a visual savant so i love picture stuff. Mael

I can't even stand the smell of greenbeans in the kitchen, my mom would cook broccoli which I hate, so she would take the broccoli and make broccoli cream soup in the blender and put it in front of me like it was some huge favor to me, nasty stuff, could barely get it down with out throwing up in my mouth. Bleh!

no imodicans this time, sorry thought you were joking last time.I'm a visual savant so i love picture stuff. Mael
Hey other Mael, I can finally read what you are writing. Another green bean hater, excellent! I searched all over for the possibility that people might be allergic to green beans or gag at the taste, but found no results, this is great news for me. Broccoli too huh? I liked the idea of little trees, so I made an extra effort to eat it. The texture of cauliflower was more weird.

You don't have to change for me, but if you want to talk to me you might. I can't remember the last time I was joking about something, though I often say things I am serious about it as light a tone of voice as I can manage, not sure why.

Hey other Mael, I can finally read what you are writing. Another green bean hater, excellent! I searched all over for the possibility that people might be allergic to green beans or gag at the taste, but found no results, this is great news for me. Broccoli too huh? I liked the idea of little trees, so I made an extra effort to eat it. The texture of cauliflower was more weird.

You don't have to change for me, but if you want to talk to me you might. I can't remember the last time I was joking about something, though I often say things I am serious about it as light a tone of voice as I can manage, not sure why.

Hi MicroWeiss It's okay I was just being silly, I like to make people happy, if I can remember how to. I eat most things raw but I struggle with weird squishy, slimy cooked vegetables. I don't care for cooked cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, celery, and cooked onions are pure death. I will eat spinach in lasagna or ravioi if there aren't too many stems yuck. I don't mind the onion flavor to much so i get by with fine onion powder. The food wars at my house were bad Mom wasn't real big on hearing the word no. Yes those green beans are awful. Oh I forgot summer squash eew!

New Threads

Top Bottom