• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your creative process! (Speedpaints, videos, and more!)

Slime_Punk

 Please erase
V.I.P Member
Ok, so.

I want to see your creative process! But first, I'll explain what I mean.

Most of the time, we post pictures and videos of the art itself in its final form... but what if this time, we posted pictures and videos of the processes we use to get there, mistakes and everything? Of course we can also post the final result, but this time I'm interested in seeing how it all comes together!

If you're having trouble capturing your screen, IRL workflow or literally anything and would like to post in this thread, you can either DM me or simply mention it here and I will try to help you make it as painless as possible! You can probably even do it with your phone, or the free OBS software if you're on a PC / Mac. No additional funds required!

Also, as long as demand doesn't get super high (it literally never does, so don't worry!) I wouldn't mind doing your video editing for you (speeding it up, cutting parts out, etc) and sending it back for you to upload.

I don't think I've posted a workflow video yet at all! This is how I do all of my image manipulation, complete with the 'owl' library!

Ooh, I might try this idea.

Though I'll probably have to edit the heck outta the resulting video. There's so many points in making the stuff I make where I have to sit there just waiting for like 5 straight minutes as it renders.

Also I have to figure out how to speed up footage. I have proper video editing software (though I've only very rarely shown anything made with it on the main forum here) but I've never tried to do that before.

Yeah, mine was like 3 separate sessions (probably about 30-60 minutes apiece), and if I make more of them they're probably going to even be longer! Most of the process can really soak up some time!

What software do you use? I'm using Vegas if you need any tips on that specifically.

Filmora is what I use usually.

Generally pretty easy to work with but I've not tried manipulating speed before.

Also I am indeed going to have to cut some chunks out here. Process of making a new mandelbulb is almost done but full rendering with raytracing takes about 5 billionty years.

Well, okay, 5 minutes. Feels longer.

Should make for an interesting video though. Bizarre process really, making this one.

My process isn't visual in any sense of the word. It just is. Akin to showing the step by step process of problem solving in algebra I can't do it. I solve the problem, but the final product simply exists, it has no measurable progress.

Just like I cannot do outlines or rough drafts. It is zero to warp speed and done. Impulse power is used in daily tasks, never my creative processes, but given the lack of steps, one could almost say there is no process, no work...

Okay I managed to get the thing done.

So much of this wont make sense, likely.

Let's see if the forum posts it right...

okay it MOSTLY posts right but the viewer this site uses is so bloody bizarre, it likes to pretend to load in HD but wont actually do it until it is poked to do so.

Or at least that's how it behaves for me.

Okay I managed to get the thing done.

So much of this wont make sense, likely.

Let's see if the forum posts it right...

This is so much fun to watch! I get this feeling my PC wouldn't load half of that!

okay it MOSTLY posts right but the viewer this site uses is so bloody bizarre, it likes to pretend to load in HD but wont actually do it until it is poked to do so.

Or at least that's how it behaves for me.

I have this happen 99% of the time and it doesn't seem to only happen here. My best guess is that more obscure videos (aka stuff that you or I first upload before it gains hits) is embedded to use the least possible bandwidth, because... YouTube kind of wants to give the bare minimum to people they're not profiting from.

It's just a guess, I could be wrong. But this happens to me everywhere before a video gains traction.

What computer program can I use to minimize and digitize myself so I can live in that little world you created?

Well, VRChat or perhaps SteamVR's opening... thing.

I've had the idea many times now of taking one of these fractals and importing it into a 3D space to create an area you could walk (teleport?) around in either of those. I just need to figure out how to do it. Surely it cant be THAT hard...

This is so much fun to watch! I get this feeling my PC wouldn't load half of that!

Yeah, these programs are pretty much why I wanted a 3090 and such. They're extremely demanding.

As it is that final image took about 6 minutes to render. My previous PC, doing that same image, with a... 1080ti card, I think it was, would have wanted like 15 hours, which isnt an exaggeration.

That being said you dont REALLY need a mega-rig to do these things. It's just slower on a weaker machine, and you probably wont wanna try any raytracing without a video card meant for it.

There's also a LOT of other fractal-related programs that are much less demanding, this is the roughest (and most complicated) one due to it being in full 3D. The others I could show are not as taxing on the machine. Well, not quite as taxing, anyway, they'll still bring things to a halt when trying to render at very high details (but not for 15 bloody hours), and you only do that when it's time for the final image.

Untitled.png

Untitled_2.png

Wow, I just figured out how to make my own without any additional software. Sweet!

I think we need a fractals thread now, lol

Untitled.png
Untitled_22.jpg

2.jpg

I can't believe how easy these are to code up. I also can't believe I never used recursion like that before!

Last edited:
I think we need a fractals thread now, lol

Here, in case you didnt see it:

In case you'd like to try any of them. Specifically, Jwildfire is the place to start, and there is a free version of it (same as the Steam version, just... free).

It does allow you to do things like code your own scripts and whatnot, if you want, for making new formulas. Overall, there's a LOT to do with that one.

Mandelbulber is also free but it's the one that'll eat your processor and such.

New Threads

Top Bottom