• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your advice on dealing with sellers?

harrietjansson

Howdy!
Should one never trust a seller? What is the best way of talking to a seller?
Why are they acting so weird? It's like the don't want to help me at all. They just want to sell something that is much more expensive than what I need or can afford.
We aspies or for that matter anyone should never trust a seller?
I have heard that people who sell cars or musical instruments are not be trusted. Is this true?
Smetimes it's like I have to force them to sell something to me. I am just confused.

This hasn't been my experience. I had a fantastic experience buying my car - the dealership handled everything and all I had to do was sign. I was in and out in a couple hours.

Granted, I was deliberately buying a car. I was there specifically TO buy a car. They weren't trying to talk me into something I didn't want. I knew what I wanted, I had a budget, and I got it.

Now, the mall kiosk type people, I treat them like drug dealers - don't make eye contact, pretend you don't see them, don't slow down, just keep walking. They never get me. Sometimes I'm at the mall with a friend and I'll lose track of the friend, then I'll look back and they'll have gotten snagged by one of the kiosk people. And I'm like...why? Why did you stop? Why did you acknowledge their existence at all?

everyone in this world is always trying to sell you something, a product, an ideology, a seeming inclusion, it's 'buyer beware', we are all just patsies to the sellers of this world.

When you go shopping for a specific item, know what you want to buy, because salespeople are trained in the art of up selling. And be aware that depending on which store you are at, some are working on a commission (part of their pay cheque is a percentage of their monthly sales).

When making a major purchase, know what you want and don't budge - within reason. Salespeople will often try to get you to purchase one level above what your intention. As the consumer you have to hold your ground when they do that.

Salespeople will often try to get you to purchase one level above what your intention.
If that is common, shouldn't you "shop" for an item one level below your intention...? If they don't react as expected, you could always ask, on your own, "What is your next-level item?"

(Of course, that won't work if you are looking for the lowest price.
full
)

If that is common, shouldn't you "shop" for an item one level below your intention...? If they don't react as expected, you could always ask, on your own, "What is your next-level item?"

Perhaps, never thought of it that way but it makes sense... But if part of salary is your sales commission then you are motivated to up sell and I even think that is part of the training at some stores... My approach? I know how much I'm prepared to spend on the item and will not spend above that amount, no matter what they try, just simply hold your ground

(Of course, that won't work if you are looking for the lowest price.
full
)

:D

Last edited:
Trust of anyone selling you much of anything seems fundamentally alien to me. After all, they're in it to profit from the transaction either personally or through compensation from their employer. Not to ensure your personal gratification over acquiring something.

This applies even to someone representing a brand name with a solid reputation of reliability. So it may be academic whether someone trying to sell you something is doing so in an honest, transparent manner. Commissioned sales or not.

And don't be surprised if they still try to get you to buy into an extended warranty you don't need. So many cons, so many gimmicks even when you're buying the best. No, there's absolutely no reason to trust anyone employed in such a capacity. But this doesn't preclude doing business with them.

Forget trust period...and stick with plenty of vigilance. And don't feel bad about it.

Best to always research whatever it is you might be interested in beforehand.

Last edited:
I am very suspicious of salespeople in general and make a point of not letting them push me into anything. But they can be helpful at times, especially on technical aspects.

I use a few basic guidelines to help me.

1. Don't talk to salespeople who on their own come to me. Only talk to them when I have gone to them.

2. I try and do my research and basically know what I want before going to them.

3. If unsure about the purchase delay the decision and go home to think about it and sleep on it. An honest salesperson will have no problem with this. If the salesperson trys to insist on a decision now - walk away from the deal.

I've said this before, and I'll say it yet again: Corporations, companies, sellers, whatever you call them, they are not your friend. They are not your buddy, they are not your pal. They dont have your best interests in mind, they are not looking out for you. No, I dont care what they SAY. They are NOT on your side... period.

Whether you're dealing with a freaking Walmart, or an actual salesperson for some major purchase like a car, it's all the same. The company behind it all exists for one reason, and one reason only: To make money. And the employees will follow the company's edicts or get fired. Even a "nice" salesperson is 100% not trustworthy.

Think of them as a frozen-hearted machine whose only goal is to please its shareholders, because that's basically what they are. Oh, sometimes the exact form shifts a bit, sure, but at a fundamental level, they're all like this.

And even if you're dealing with someone who is selling something PERSONALLY... like, I dunno, some guy decides to sell a set of diamond-encrusted bongos online, whatever... that singular guy could still be doing it entirely out of sheer greed. Could be just as bad as, or even worse than, the big corporations.

Never trust those who are out to sell you something. Just... just dont.

Do the research YOURSELF. Look up reviews (by non-paid reviewers), read all the data, and so on, relating to whatever it is you're out to buy. The sellers should not be the one directing your purchase. When done right, you wont need their "help" to determine what/how to buy.

From the Simpsons:
they guy at 00:40 is really the salesperson I am refering to. Pretty rude and disshonest.

The psychology of salespeople:

They dont have your best interests in mind
It must be tough to be such a person. It messes you up, I guess.
Not that I have their best interests in mind. I really don't want to pay anything at all.
Never trust those who are out to sell you something. Just... just dont.
not even the guy at the hardware store?

Think of them as a frozen-hearted machine whose only goal is to please its shareholders, because that's basically what they are.
I am trying to buy a musical instrument and the salesperson is not trying to please me. It's like he wants to get rid of me, ie his customer. This confuses me. It would be smarter to want a customer. It's like most customers just waste his time according to him. Buy an expensive item or never come here is the attitude.

I did once meet a nice salesperson. He sold musical instruments. You could trust him. The only salesperson I can ever trust (perhaps not 100% of course).
Not all people act like weirdos and rude people.

Trust of anyone selling you much of anything seems fundamentally alien to me.
If money is involved i trust nobody. Some aspies never trust anyone but too many aspies trust too much.

Last edited:
From the Simpsons:
they guy at 00:40 is really the salesperson I am refering to. Pretty rude and disshonest.

The psychology of salespeople:

It must be tough to be such a person. It messes you up, I guess.
Not that I have their best interests in mind. I really don't want to pay anything at all.

not even the guy at the hardware store?

I am trying to buy a musical instrument and the salesperson is not trying to please me. It's like he wants to get rid of me, ie his customer. This confuses me. It would be smarter to want a customer. It's like most customers just waste his time according to him. Buy an expensive item or never come here is the attitude.

I did once meet a nice salesperson. He sold musical instruments. You could trust him. The only salesperson I can ever trust (perhaps not 100% of course).

If money is involved i trust nobody. Some aspies never trust anyone but too many aspies trust too much.

I met a salesperson I really liked as well. His approach was very down to earth and I didn't feel manipulated or rushed. Now whenever any in my family need a car I send them to him. I think we have bought 5-6 cars from him now. :D

But that is the exception. I have thrown other salespeople out of the house and lost friendships when friends became salespeople.

I should add that disliking change, once I do find someone I like working with I much prefer to stay with them.

I met a salesperson I really liked as well. His approach was very down to earth and I didn't feel manipulated or rushed. Now whenever any in my family need a car I send them to him. I think we have bought 5-6 cars from him now. :D
both being nice and earning money. how cool. sounds kinda rare.

everyone in this world is always trying to sell you something, a product, an ideology, a seeming inclusion, it's 'buyer beware', we are all just patsies to the sellers of this world.
politics is more about selling than the use of reason. The politicians use emotions when selling ideologies.
I cannot stand debates on the telly. Also, I cannot stand many people who comments on political speeches. They often miss how important emotions are in a speech.

Unfortunately, sometimes you meet people that are just inherently rude. As if social interaction wasnt tough enough already...

Or maybe that person is just frustrated. Working a bad job doesnt exactly put people in the best of moods.

Well, dont get me wrong: It's absolutely possible to meet people who DO care, and who have a genuine passion for what they're selling. Often, hobby stores are like this, filled with people of that sort (I dont mean places like Hobby Lobby, I mean very focused and often smaller stores).

But, even with someone like that, it's still important to not completely put trust in them. There's always the possibility for someone to be deceiving, but there's also the possibility for them to be outright wrong about something. After all, even someone truly dedicated to a given hobby absolutely cant know EVERYTHING about it, and when you're selling 5 bazillion different brands of, I dunno, colored pencils, you WILL get the details and such wrong sometimes.

But also there's an element of bias. Like, a particular salesperson at a store like that might think that X brand of thing is pretty freaking great, but that doesnt mean it'll be a good fit for YOU. That's ALWAYS important to keep in mind, when dealing with hobby stuff (and musical instruments certainly fit into that).

Always, always, always make sure you do the research on purchases before spending your hard-earned money. That really is just the best advice. Granted, sometimes you do gotta just take a chance and try something new, of course.

Or take the opposite of what do they acheive by selling me this and not that. In fact when they are busy pushing one thing, l am asking a lot of questions to see if another cheaper brand has the same options. l mean l will talk their talk then flip it to see should l just wait, should l go higher, should l go lower. To me, it's a fact finding mission. I am not really questioning their ethics or their trustability, l am fishing in their data to make some educated decisions. When you go for surgery, l now ask what is the success rate of this surgery? Some surgery like back, hip can be a mixed bag and not always successful. As consumer you have some rights, and a right to ask questions.

Last edited:
I've heard that car sellers, who are usually men, are often very sexist towards female buyers. If a man and a woman show up to buy a car they'll only talk to the man even if the woman is the one who wants to buy it, and if a woman shows up alone they'll they'll try to talk them into buying a car she doesn't want because it "comes in a pretty color" and other nonsense.

But I will probably never even learn how to drive a car, let alone buy one, so I really don't know.

I've heard that car sellers, who are usually men, are often very sexist towards female buyers. If a man and a woman show up to buy a car they'll only talk to the man even if the woman is the one who wants to buy it, and if a woman shows up alone they'll they'll try to talk them into buying a car she doesn't want because it "comes in a pretty color" and other nonsense.

But I will probably never even learn how to drive a car, let alone buy one, so I really don't know.

These online auto retailers fascinate me, mostly wondering if to some degree the process circumvents all the usual nonsense and stress associated with buying a car.

It's quite an ugly game- one I'd prefer to avoid. But I suspect the most recent car I bought will be my last one.

Hope any of you considering an online dealer have a better experience, though be guarded nevertheless.

New Threads

Top Bottom