• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

You know because I've got that interview week after next, should I apply to anything else in between

Yeah, I quickly learned that. I've been using Indeed since it seems to be the best for my particular career endeavor. I tweaked my resume and the calls and/or emails started to pour in. The odd thing is they were from a recruiter in one state arranging a phone interview with someone in another state for a job where I live. As far as I'm concerned the job I start December 1 will be my last one, as I plan to retire in 3 1/2 years. After that I am going to get an RV and nasty-faced dog and go someplace where there is little traffic and no crime.
It would be nice to one day retire but I doubt I'll ever be able to do so unless I should win the lottery. I will be working until I croak or am physically too infirm to do so.

Yeah, at 58, I'm still hoping to figure out how to make a living. Once I do, I'll probably need to keep doing it as long as I can! But I'm glad to hear that some of you are doing well.

My little pension from the university was like winning the lottery. When I quit they told me that I wasn't vested, but the Retirement System contacted me and said that I was indeed vested and that I can start drawing $697 per month for the rest of my life starting at 60. That will supplement my Social Security, Roth, and whatever else I get from this upcoming job. I won't be wealthy, but I'll be able to live; and if I like, I can go get a job as a Walmart door greeter:

Why did you finally quit? I thought you had two of your bosses bent over a barrel with audio evidence of harassment.

I should probably add that I've only just realized that I probably have ASD and am finally able to make sense of my life after decades of not knowing what was "wrong" with me.
Janet

Janet, there's nothing "wrong" with you, just different, so when it comes to job hunting, you have to pick the right fit. Remember, after you get your diagnosis, be careful not to reveal it to potential employers until after you ascertain whether they discriminate for or against it.

Janet, there's nothing "wrong" with you, just different, so when it comes to job hunting, you have to pick the right fit. Remember, after you get your diagnosis, be careful not to reveal it to potential employers until after you ascertain whether they discriminate for or against it.

Yes, TempeFan, and in fact, knowing there's a reason for the many difficulties I have helps me realize that after decades of asking myself in my own head "What's wrong with me!" and "Why am I such a frickin weirdo!" I hope that doesn't sound harsh to others here. There's definitely a part of myself that likes being kind of weird and different. If only it didn't also make me an underemployed, housework-challenged person who can only have a couple of my least judgmental friends over and who has near meltdowns during meetings (not knowing how to be heard in meetings and wondering why everyone else does). Knowing why is such a relief!

@Janet I have known I was on the spectrum since a time when many psychologists were still debating whether such a spectrum existed and I went through many of the same life experiences as you describe - still do. Until the web became widespread and people started talking about AS/ASD online, there was precious little information to be found, and even now attitudes towards and understanding of autistic people are quite primitive.
You've passed the first hurdle of awareness, the next step is adaptation with a foundation of greater knowledge, and information available to help you make sense of things that may have made you feel like an outsider before.
You also have communities like this one, full of people who have faced, and continue to face the same challenges and barriers as yourself. Here you are neither an outsider or a freak, you are one of us and quite "normal" in our eyes.

@Janet I have known I was on the spectrum since a time when many psychologists were still debating whether such a spectrum existed and I went through many of the same life experiences as you describe - still do. Until the web became widespread and people started talking about AS/ASD online, there was precious little information to be found, and even now attitudes towards and understanding of autistic people are quite primitive.
You've passed the first hurdle of awareness, the next step is adaptation with a foundation of greater knowledge, and information available to help you make sense of things that may have made you feel like an outsider before.
You also have communities like this one, full of people who have faced, and continue to face the same challenges and barriers as yourself. Here you are neither an outsider or a freak, you are one of us and quite "normal" in our eyes.

Thank you, Autistamatic. It's already so helpful to understand - well, basically my entire life! And I am looking forward to the next step. I've been struggling primarily with making a living forever (but in particular for the past four years). Kept thinking I had found answers, but each one crumbled. So I'm relieved that I'll now have a framework that makes sense from which to deal with career issues, not to mention all the other life issues I've struggled with my whole life! Oh, and support from therapists who understand ASD. Oh yes, and support from this forum as well - I'm very grateful to have found it and for all the warm welcomes I've received here and in my intro post. <3

New Threads

Top Bottom