• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"You Guys". What a dumb saying.

I know one person who says "youse guys", a retired guy from Ohio who my dad works for. I think it sounds like a horribly wrong use of plurality.

"y'all" sounds southern (not bad but out of place up here), and "you people" sounds authoritive.

I usually say "you guys" or "you folks". Unless it's a group of women and I sometimes say "you gals".

If you're bothered by every little thing people say on a regular basis, you're going to drive yourself insane, so it's best just to let it go in one and one ear and out the other.

Is it okay to use the saying "in one ear and out the other"? When people have told *me* that, I find the problem is that I have a rather large brain that gets in the way. :)

In my opinion "you guys" is used as more as a gender neutral thing, well where I live anyways. I say it to a group of all girls frequently especially since I was in an all-girls school for 5 years.

But don't think too much about it :) I'm sure most who say it aren't trying to cause any harm.

I despise hearing, "you guys!"

Very androcentric!!!

If it's used to refer to a combination of men and/or boys, I don't see the problem. Otherwise, I internally pout, when I hear it.

My church friends say "you guys" and "like" so much they got me slipping sometimes saying it. I now understand why it is said so much. I still think "you all" is so much more gender neutral.

Really I never said this. I said you people. But many when hanging out with there friends will say "You guys" even when there are girls in the group. Maybe that is why I can never keep friends saying the more common sense "you people".

Haha! A female friend of mine who lives in California told me the other day that young people there call each other "bro" all the time, including women. So women are bros now, too. Ha! What the hey, though?!

New Threads

Top Bottom