• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Wrong number

VictorR

Random Member
V.I.P Member
Anyone have any interesting stories about getting a wrong number (either way)?

Just got a message for Vivian advising that her Porche Boxster has arrived at the dealership and is ready to be picked up.

I wish I had a nice car waiting for me...

I once went off on a woman I thought was a telemarketer.

After I figured out who she really was, Dr. Temple Grandin took my apology quite well :p

Fun subject!

I love telemarketers and we have fun on how quickly they hang up on me!

Take over the conversation!
T: Hi, how are you today this is Bill {oh yeah, Bill sounds more like An Armando or Mohammad, no way this fellow is a “Bill”}

Me: Bill, what a wonderful boy you are how is your Mom and Dad doing are they well now days?

T: Um.....yes, the reason I’m calling....

Me: (interrupting). Do you like Dogs Bill? Cause I like Dogs and we have 4 dogs and their names are....

T: Yes Mamm, look the reason I’m calling you today is....

Me: (interrupting again) What is your favorite color Bill? I like Blue, the blue it gets before it rains to you like rain Bill....

Okay, I’ve usually lost them by now but you see how this goes - hey, I’m retired! :)

The 60's and 70's were the heyday of domestic terrorism, with groups like Black Panthers, Weather Underground and the Symbionese Liberation Army (SLA). My roomy brother would routinely answer the phone, "SLA HQ." He got some hang-ups.

I used to answer the phone with a wrong name for myself when I was at the office and I could see that it was the reception putting a call through.

"Flywheel, Shyster and Flywheel - Attorneys at Law" was a frequent one [allusion to the Marx Brothers], however I have a booklet full of "interesting answers"

Wow Temple Grandin phoned you
Yes, I originally tried to call her because we both think in pictures and I wanted to compare notes but wasn't able to speak with her because she was on tour, so I left a message with her assistant to have her get back to me when she could.

Several weeks later she did and now I have that feather in my cap :cool:

I have been getting so many scam calls lately, on both my home phone and my cell phone. I try to push "9" to block it, like I always have, but nowadays the robo caller just keeps talking through it.

I have been getting so many scam calls lately, on both my home phone and my cell phone. I try to push "9" to block it, like I always have, but nowadays the robo caller just keeps talking through it.
Any more, unless I'm expecting an out of town call, I simply ignore unknown numbers to prevent those scammers from adding my number to a list that is comprised of numbers known to answer for a profit. The lists they put together are of value to other scammers

Last edited:
So my personal experience with wrong numbers ... they often "recycle" a phone number fairly soon after someone else discards it. So we got one of these and understandably, we got quite a few "wrong numbers" or actually, right number but that party wasn't there any more.

It was quite annoying because apparently, the previous owner of our phone number was a porta-potty rental company!

I got allocated a landline number that was formerly owned by a home business, a dog breeder, so I got a lot of calls about buying a west highland terrier, which is some kind of really expensive white fluffy dawg, I think.

I had to call them (the dawg breeder) and tell them to take their old phone number off any website that carried it, which they did with the obvious ones, but with collating websites, it gets weird, I still got some calls but not as many.

It is amusing when someone calls you mistakenly, and yet goes on and on about something that has absolutely nothing to do with you personally. :p

Of course I just let them rant, and never return their call. Thank goodness for answering machines. I never answer a call for which reflects a party or number I'm not familiar with. And as predicted, with the case 99.9% of them, they never call back. But then most scammers never do.

OMG!

Curious - what was she calling you about?
I initiated the contact to discuss my memory, which is very similar to her experience.
I was impressed that she actually took the time to respond to me.

I just called a store to check on the status of an item I want to purchase.
A girl answered the phone and asked me what I was calling about.
I told her.
Her reply was that they weren't open yet and that I would have to call back when they were open.
I told her, ok, I will call you back in 30 seconds when you are finally open.
I called back a minute later and asked her to check the inventory.
She had someone look for it and confirmed that they did indeed have it.
I then proceeded to tell her I wanted to go ahead and purchase it so I could just come in and pick it up at another time.
She said we don't do sales over the phone.
I then asked her why it said online to call to order from them.
She said she didn't know.
Then I asked how I could reserve it so I could get it later.
She asked when.
I said Sunday.
She said we are only allowed to hold an item for two hours.
I told her fine, I'll buy it off of your competition instead :p

New Threads

Top Bottom