• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Would new showerheads be good gifts for my grandparents?

Pink Jazz

I just came back on a trip from Puerto Rico, and I just noticed how worn out my grandparents' showerheads were. While this may seem like an unusual gift, do you think brand new showerheads for them would be good gifts? I really love my grandparents a lot.

I think they would really love a Moen Magnetix 6-Setting Engage handheld showerhead in their master bathroom, considering that they are elderly. In addition to the handheld convenience, they can more easily clean their bathtub as well with it.

For their guest bathroom, I can get them a basic one-function Moen Ecoperformance low-flow showerhead.

Do you think new showerheads are a good gift for my grandparents? I usually buy my grandparents clothing, computer hardware, and gift cards, but I think I should change it up a bit.

I don't think it is a bad idea, but you may want to consider the installation as well.

I don't think it is a bad idea, but you may want to consider the installation as well.

Showerheads are fairly standard and straightforward to install (and I am pretty sure my grandfather has some friends who can install them for him), although you can get really fancy and install something like a rainshower from the ceiling, but that is well out of my price range. I have the Moen Magnetix 6-Setting Engage showerhead in my bathroom and I love it, and I am sure my grandparents would too. In my parents master bathroom, they have the Delta two-in-one In2ition showerhead.

BTW most of their plumbing fixtures are American Standard, although I think the bathroom faucets are not original and are a generic off-brand. Also, I think the master bathroom is on its second showerhead which also appears to be a cheap off-brand (Moen is a quality brand that I think they can trust). The bathtub/shower valve and valve trim are Delta in both bathrooms.

Also, I am leaning towards getting them showerheads with spot resistant brushed nickel or stainless steel finishes, instead of chrome finishes. I think they will look nicer longer.

Last edited:
I don't know your grandparents, but I can say from personal experience that as we get older, a "simple" home upgrade like changing a showerhead can be challenging.

This would be a better gift if you are there to do the installation for them. So maybe next trip?

I had the same thought immediately, that it would be great only if you handled the installation. But it's kind of you to notice their heads were worn and think to buy them replacements. Very thoughtful!

I think that would be a great idea and they would appreciate it as it is practical.
Something everyday useful.
Installation is pretty simple, but, it is true as we get older, help with something like that is much
appreciated.

As an older person I think they would be a great gift. Usually installation is just a matter of unscrewing the old showerhead and screwing on the new one so unless your grandfather is extremely frail and elderly he should be able to do that. I'm 74 and I can do it . Hand held showers are wonderful.

As for installation I think he knows a few people there who can install them. My godfather is a possibility.

I think that's a great idea for a gift. Thoughtful and something they probably will really enjoy.

I think it is thoughtful and considerate. You took the time to notice something they needed and you are facilitating an unspoken need. I would make sure they have help in the installation and operation.

Go to Amazon and search for High Sierra Showerheads. High Sierra is owned by a guy whose dad invented an ultraefficient shower sprinkler for agricultural uses (like watering fields). The son modified it for in home use. They are expensive-mine cost $35 a few years ago, I'm sure they're more now-and you can only get them on Amazon, but they are very efficient and work great in conditions with dirty and/or heavily mineralized water. (You said your grandparents live in Puerto Rico so the condition of their tap water is likely extremely bad.) I don't know if High Sierra makes a handheld version, but they do make the screw-in version. It's possible that if the hose for the handheld has a plain screw terminal that you will be able to just screw on the High Sierra head. The heads are popular with commercial users like motels, which realize significant savings.

Actually, I'm thinking for the guest bathroom, instead of the basic Moen EcoPerformance showerhead, getting a Moen Adler multifunction 1.75 GPM showerhead from Lowe's. It doesn't cost much more than the EcoPerformance, has the Spot Resist Brushed Nickel finish, and Lowe's only charges $6 to ship it to Puerto Rico.

As for High Sierra, I checked, they are a bit expensive and their styling is a bit bland. Moen is at least a trusted brand in the residential world. I am leaning towards spot-resistant brushed nickel finishes since I think they last longer than chrome finishes. The existing showerheads are chrome.

It's always a good idea to buy the uhm, the wire that connects to the shower heads, as well. They tend to get holes in their rubber after a while and leak, not letting the shower have power and you can't shower with that.

You're really nice to your grandparents, I would feel lucky to be either of them.

I've decided I will order the Moen Adler today. While I am ordering the Magnetix Engage from Amazon, I am ordering the Adler from Lowe's. Lowe's currently only charges $6 to ship to Puerto Rico. Who knows if that will still be the case in the summer and if the Adler will still be available.

Looks like the Moen Adler shipped today, and unfortunately Lowe's shipped it FedEx SmartPost. Estimated delivery on January 29! Unbelievable. Good thing I didn't wait. No wonder why their shipping to Puerto Rico was so cheap.

It is practical for sure but yeah I'd consider installation as well. Either do it yourself or get someone else to do it.

Update:

The first one (the Engage with Magnetix) was delivered yesterday and was installed on the same day. My grandfather loves it. The second one is scheduled to arrive on the 31st.

About the Moen Adler, FedEx confirmed that it is being shipped to Puerto Rico by sea, not by air. This explains the long shipping time (currently estimated to be the 31st). Hopefully it gets delivered soon.

Well, the second showerhead (the Moen Adler) was finally delivered today after a long wait. My grandfather is currently visiting us here; he will get it installed when he gets back to Puerto Rico.

New Threads

Top Bottom