• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Would it be unacceptable to continue to wear a face mask?

What I really want to do is go full Darth Vader. Or Stormtrooper, or Boba Fett, or Iron Man etc. Any of those types of face masks and suits would do.

And I want one of those cool protection spheres Vader had.

Thank you all for your replies! They were very informative and helpful. I think I am going to continue to wear a mask after COVD-19.
This is a great post. I appreciate it because guess what?? Wearing a masking has helped me to STOP MASKING! HA! Let me explain.

I no longer feel the need to always give that stupid smile or force my lips to do things that are natural. I can just stare and let my mouth relax. It's still hard with eye contact. People still say, "HELLO! I'm talking to you!" And I have to force that, but not to have to smile AND eyes contact, and make proper tics and expressions is AWESOME!!

Yes, I will wear a mask, maybe forever...............
This is another reason I'd like to continue to wear one, not having to pay attention to the facial expressions I make while in public as much is useful. lol

I always try to hide my face with hoodies, shaggy hair and as much bread as I can grow.

The only bad thing about masks that comes to my mind is lip reading. I read lips to a degree because of auditory processing.

Last edited:
I always try to hide my face with hoodies, shaggy hair and as much bread as I can grow.

The only bad thing about masks that comes to my mind is lip reading. I read lips to a degree because of auditory processing.
I honestly didn't think about the fact masks wouldn't be a great thing for people that read others lips until you and Juliettaa mentioned it. I try to avoid looking at peoples faces as much as I can, so that kind of slipped my mind.

There are people in other countries that wear face masks quite often, so after what's been going on I've considered continuing to wear one in public, even after COVID-19 isn't an issue. It's mainly because I get sick very easily and I think doing that would be a good idea, but I realized that it'd probably be weird to do that in the US. Before this I never saw anyone wearing masks in public. I can see how doing that might even seem suspicious if you go into stores and other places, since masks cover half your face.

Do you think it'd be socially unacceptable in some way to wear a mask in public after COVID-19? Why or why not?

I would not object to anyone wearing a mask as long as they would like. If it makes you feel safe,then by all means wear a mask.

I honestly didn't think about the fact masks wouldn't be a great thing for people that read others lips until you and Juliettaa mentioned it. I try to avoid looking at peoples faces as much as I can, so that kind of slipped my mind.

I have a combination of not looking at people but also having a fixation with teeth. So with some people all I can see is their mouth. A lot of the time that's following TV and movie dialog. People don't talk to me much irl.

Covid will be around for many years to come just like the flu. It's amongst us and vaccines don't cover a whole year, not even the cold months when infection happens and the virus lasts more on surfaces, I think a mask will still be necessary especially for the more fragile people.

The vaccine has a failure rate. Until humans get used to it to combat it like the flu, people are going to still get it and die. Viruses mutate every year, and the strands mutated in the lab available in future year vaccines may not always be the correct ones. Dogs can carry it too.

It's pretty horrible bc it affects lungs irrecuperably, so whomever manifests symptoms will never breathe the same again, if they manage to survive.

Why are people still optimistic that covid 19 will become something we'll no longer have to worry about and not like say, influenza, which is something we always have to worry about, although we tend not to as much in the summer because it's seasonal, although I read the 1918 flu pandemic started in summer. But Covid 19 is not seasonal, or maybe it will get even worse in the colder months.

I've been trapped in my apartment more than usual because the weather is so hot and sticky right now and there's nowhere for me to go anyway, so I'm extra edgy right now. Nothing I can do but accept it. Let the hopelessness and despair take over my whole body.

I don' t wear one and have told the autism charity I am registered with and my GP if they want me to have a potential meltdown they will appreciate this. They contribute greatly to my stress.
On this subject if coronavirus is in the air aren't these face shields useless as air just goes round them?

41phsctmvZL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

My thoughts:

Firstly, I think masks are going to be here for a long time because I don't think Covid will be "under control" anytime soon. Not only because it's a virus and virus' mutate constantly, but also the human factor. It's an inarguable fact: this virus and the reaction to it has been the single most effective means of controlling people's lives on such a large scale in human history. Can you think of any other example that compares? Because of that I think the likelihood of Covid being "under control" or gone out of our lives and going back to pre-Covid "normal" in relation to others not being privy to our own business will never happen again.
Testament to this is the fact that this thread was created a bit over a year ago. Has there been a significant shift back to pre-Covid "normal"? Next year if we revisit this thread, will there be at that time a significant shift back to pre-Covid "normal"? How about the year after that?

I don't think you have to worry about masks going away anytime soon.

I don' t wear one and have told the autism charity I am registered with and my GP if they want me to have a potential meltdown they will appreciate this. They contribute greatly to my stress.
On this subject if coronavirus is in the air aren't these face shields useless as air just goes round them?

View attachment 70097

After the first pandemic wave was lifted my son returned to work at a sandwich shop. He really struggled with coming into contact with the public as many did not wear masks even then. I bought my son a face sheild to wear with his mask at work. It provides protection from larger droplets and gave him a feeling of more of more security. Maybe not a mask replacement, but not "useless".

Also thinking of it. I often get sick too. Since 1st grade every year I have had at least 3 infections. Last winter was easy with only one infection. While my peers also get infections mine often last much longer. Happy because of today's decision of our minister of education to continue wearing masks at school.

One of my friends is confused
He lives in Scotland. In the pub he went to people were required unless exempt to wear a mask when moving around but people at the bar didn't have to so he was close to the bar staff and other customers ordering.

So if covid exists and is in the air it can't go over under and around perspex screens or coverings? And air particles can't penetrate some materials fave masks are made off

So if covid exists and is in the air it can't go over under and around perspex screens or coverings? And air particles can't penetrate some materials fave masks are made off

The primary point of a facemask isn't to protect you from others, but rather to protect others from you.

To restrict the passage of airborne pathogens from your mouth and nose to the air beyond. Restrict- not prevent. There is no process that is full-proof in such circumstances. But some protection is better than none at all.

Though yes, it seems using a shield alone is a poor way in which to restrict air passing from one's mouth and nose as it can indeed travel under the shield itself.

The primary point of a facemask isn't to protect you from others, but rather to protect others from you.

To restrict the passage of airborne pathogens from your mouth and nose to the air beyond. Restrict- not prevent. There is no process that is full-proof in such circumstances. But some protection is better than none at all.

Though yes, it seems using a shield alone is a poor way in which to restrict air passing from one's mouth and nose as it can indeed travel under the shield itself.

I was recently in Perth, UK and some bars said you didn't need to wear face coverings, so why would any bar say this?

I was recently in Perth, UK and some bars said you didn't need to wear face coverings, so why would any bar say this?

They're a bu$ine$$.

Other than those getting infected and incurring lengthy $tay$ or death in a hospital, who stands to lose the most in this pandemic? Bar owners, restauranteurs, employees, etc. etc..

For some this is first and foremost all about money. Not lives or the collective well-being of the public. Sometimes reflecting a very fine line between the toxicity and desperation of financial failure versus that of a potentially lethal virus.

Considerations that directly contrast any notions of "the greatest good for the greatest number". Dynamics that seem to further polarize our society and allow this virus to fester and morph into something even more lethal than before. Creating one vicious cycle.

Last edited:
Doesn't make sense to me and how both bars and coffee shops in the UK can be both busy and Starbucks are saying a limit of an hour and some bars say two hours but some bars are saying no time limits

Doesn't make sense to me and how both bars and coffee shops in the UK can be both busy and Starbucks are saying a limit of an hour and some bars say two hours but some bars are saying no time limits

The larger a business entity, the greater concern to adhere to aggressive government regulation. Compounded by a need to pacify shareholders. Considerations which smaller scale businesses may not have to deal with, allowing for greater flexibility whether it's in the public's interest- or not.

In Europe, expect foreign corporate entities to tow the line to a greater extent, given they are constantly subject to regulatory scrutiny and financial penalties, particularly by the EU. Much smaller and local business are basically "under the radar" in comparison. OTOH foreign entities like Starbucks is always under their microscope. I doubt the UK is any different when it comes to highway robbery, er uh..."revenue enhancement".

Perhaps worst of all is government continuing to pass the buck onto the private sector to arbitrarily set such policies where no one is on the same page. Something apparently happening on both sides of the pond.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom